uniqs
share rss forum feed

dogma
XYZ
Premium
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV
kudos:1

The Southern California Forum will be closing...

...and it remnants merged into the already idle Southwest Chat.

It has been common over the past 2 years to have ZERO post here for weeks at a time. And when there are post, there has not been a topic with more than 53 replies in literally 2 years. 5 years ago, it was common to have over 100 unique replies to 10 or more topics, all within the same Month. (I really miss the good 'ol days too)

The party is over. All good things must come to an end. Plug in SoCal to the Southwest forum States list, keep our pins and add a 5.0 or greater earthquake pin, and let's call it a day.

Since I am the only "regular" left, I have authority to decree it.

So let it be written.

So let it be done.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

said by dogma:

.It has been common over the past 2 years to have ZERO post here for weeks at a time.

Then again, it's better to remain silent and thought a fool ...

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium
join:2005-06-21
Irvine, CA
reply to dogma

Sad =/ I miss the old days too.

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA
reply to dogma

said by dogma:

...and it remnants merged into the already idle Southwest Chat.

I'd rather have it merged into the Northern California forum. It makes no sense to merge a perceived idle forum into one that is an idle forum.

The California forum. Let the flames begin.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dogma

Just when I visited Irvine/Tustin earlier this week and survived...

NorCal forum has been pretty quiet too but we do not have weather authority issues or old fartmeisters up there.

dogma
XYZ
Premium
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV

said by PrntRhd:

NorCal forum has been pretty quiet too but we do not have weather authority issues or old fartmeisters up there.

We ain't got them down here either...at least anymore.

Like a gold rush town where the mine has played out, all the old timers are pretty much gone, leaving a ghost town behind.
said by Andy from CA:

I'd rather have it merged into the Northern California forum. It makes no sense to merge a perceived idle forum into one that is an idle forum.

The California forum. Let the flames begin.

First off, there's nobody here to flame back, 'cept me really. Secondly, do you really want to post birthday wishes to one another 99% of the time?? For cryin' out loud, waterboard me first. (...guess that could be considered a flame)

Nah, I say the Forum be put out to pasture in the Southwest Chat where it can die a dignified death.

So with that, I will no longer be posting here (posting here just enough to maintain a DSLR-pulse only prolongs the Forums agony and is not humanitarian.) If the few remaining lurkers agree, just keep lurking, no posting, and it will go into an induced coma. At some point, some passing mod will notice and dispose of the corpse in the Southwest graveyard, um, Chat.

With that said, I leave with an apropos video; The final credits to the final episode of Cheers (had I any video talent I would have edited and scrolled all the great peoples screen names and avatars that posted here over the years to the theme music, it was just that kinda place... )

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGemeMiAN34

Goodbye, and Farewell

aztecnology
O Rly?
Premium
join:2003-02-12
Murrieta, CA
reply to dogma

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium
join:2005-06-21
Irvine, CA
reply to dogma

Where the heck does everybody hang out now?

I especially miss Jack's posts.

PrntRhd
Premium
Fairfield, CA
reply to dogma

Wrong music, it should be the MASH movie "suicide is painless".
»www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/122330/

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
reply to dogma

I wonder why this happened. I know some left because they thought things were over moderated, but I've never really felt it was a buig issue. Was moderating really that draconian?

Meta: Will my post be moderated for questioning moderation?

No_Strings
The OC

Mostly, people get busy with life and find other things to do. Facebook occupies a big chunk of time for a few former regulars, for example.

I'd like to see more activity here, but I think merging would do more to deter than promote.

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3
reply to dogma

This forum is set third from the top in my favorites. I like it.
I understand where you're coming from but if any city forum should close due to inactivity, it should be the Chicago forum.

Ptomaine
J'entend ton coeur
Premium
join:2003-04-07
Beaver Dam, WI

I left SoCal six years ago, but I have always checked in here. Unfortunately it has become as lifeless as the Midwest forum.
The last one out, please turn out the lights.
--
On the outskirts of nowhere,on the ringroad to somewhere, on the verge of indecision I'll always take the roundabout way.

aztecnology
O Rly?
Premium
join:2003-02-12
Murrieta, CA
reply to dogma

Quick, someone post a recipe...

TwoFrogs
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Downtown

1 recommendation

reply to dogma

Or lower the threshold of discussion to 3.0

PrntRhd
Premium
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to No_Strings

said by No_Strings:

Mostly, people get busy with life and find other things to do. Facebook occupies a big chunk of time for a few former regulars, for example.

I'd like to see more activity here, but I think merging would do more to deter than promote.

I tend to agree, the problem was made worse by members wanting to fork off new forums for their own special interests. The weather forum was ok but actually pulled a few people from this forum.
Forums are always changing depending on the personalities of the people frequenting them. Of course it doesn't help when you lose special people. (Gary in this forum, & Dadkins in the NorCal forum.)
It won't be the same after something like that, but both forums wouldn't stay the same even if they had lived.

Jtmo
Premium
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA
reply to dogma

No weather, no religion, no politics, not much left.....

No_Strings
The OC

I think all of this hot weather is a sign from God that the Democrats are to blame for all that's wrong with California.

How's that?

Jtmo
Premium
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

Perfect

stormbow
Freedom isn't FREE
Premium
join:2002-07-31
Simi Valley, CA
reply to No_Strings

said by No_Strings:

I think all of this hot weather is a sign from God that the Democrats are to blame for all that's wrong with California.

How's that?

The ants say no. :P

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2000-10-05
Seaside, CA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to dogma

I'm still here too. Even when I lived in Colorado I had this forum set as a favorite.

Surprising that it shows you as the only regular. I see two more names in there as of right now.

If it has to be merged, at least it's not gone. Those of us left will just post over there. I STILL have southwest chat in my favorites too...

- FM

spg
Grrrr

join:2001-10-31
NOT Texas!

I visit from time to time. It certainly has slowed down, too many take themselves too seriously, I'm afraid.
--
Do not trifle with dragons; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

jig

join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA

1 recommendation

reply to dogma

i'm not gonna take a take down decree from some jmoke in Nevada.

not in the socal forum, anyway.
--
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
join:2007-09-18
Gilroy, CA

alas. the whole site seems to be going the way of a ghost town.

Andy from CA
Premium
Anaheim, CA

said by TheRul:

alas. the whole site seems to be going the way of a ghost town.

IDK this thread seems to have spiced up the pepper.

TCO1962
Premium
join:2001-07-02
Champaign, IL
reply to dogma

I read/lurk here occasionally. Hate to see it go away and hope it gets active again someday.
I've always had relation out there and now my daughter is a resident in the OC (Newport Beach). She loves it out there as do I.

Have been a fan of SoCal since I was a little tyke.

PrntRhd
Premium
Fairfield, CA

1 recommendation

reply to dogma

The stuff about birthdays in NorCal forum is obsolete, that was stopped a couple of years ago.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to dogma

Yes, I have noticed in both No Cal and So Cal it's been dead for quite some time. I lurk/post and it is set as my favorite (both forums), but the amount of activity has diminished quite dramatically .
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Andy from CA
Premium
Anaheim, CA
reply to dogma

The Southern California Forum is staying!

There, fixed it.

Once something is declared dead

He's dead, Jim

the paddles come in and ..

It's ALIVE!

Just saying.

Waldothe3rd
Premium
join:2009-02-16
Sun N Sand
reply to dogma

Re: The Southern California Forum will be closing...

Not until it enters the Transporter Room in a red shirt....