spc
uniqs
root
join:2002-12-11

root to kickass69

to kickass69

Re: [Optimum Voice] Blocked Numbers getting through

said by kickass69:

Why don't they just add that ability to add 1 in the portal?

Because it's not that simple...regardless of how simple it may seem to you.
said by kickass69:

If that's the case, then unknown should be flagged as anonymous since those scum are exposing a loophole in the caller ID system (of course on top of obvious spoofing) that should be closed.

Carrier to carrier hand off of CallerID has a lot of variables that can cause caller ID to show up unknown. The world isn't perfect and there are bigger fish to fry than the occasional telemarketer.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145

said by root:

said by kickass69:

Why don't they just add that ability to add 1 in the portal?

Because it's not that simple...regardless of how simple it may seem to you.
said by kickass69:

If that's the case, then unknown should be flagged as anonymous since those scum are exposing a loophole in the caller ID system (of course on top of obvious spoofing) that should be closed.

Carrier to carrier hand off of CallerID has a lot of variables that can cause caller ID to show up unknown. The world isn't perfect and there are bigger fish to fry than the occasional telemarketer.

No bigger fish, in my mind, when talking about voice service than the "occasional telemarketer/con artists"!

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69 to root

to root
You would think CallerID having been around long enough should have uniform standards much less ways to track down those who sell and use spoofers.

I agree with dm145, being able to block scammers should be part of the big fish pool of issues with voice service. If Optimum can't handle proving phone service and being the most proactive against giving their customers the tools to filter out this illegal garbage then people will end up getting illegal devices of their own to deal with this or just cancel OV altogether and either go back to Verizon or just use a mobile phone.

Nothing occasional about scammers, especially after the Do Not Call list made it's debut...the exact thing this is supposed to prevent. Each week I get about 4-5 different scammers on average that in the end I ultimately can't block because of the issues above. I don't remember it ever being as bad as it is now and I don't just give my number out for everything under the sun.