Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

[iPad] iPad battery losing its mojo

When I first got iPad, I was amazed at the battery life. I can't say for sure, but I believe i was getting up to the advertised nne hours of life.
Lately it seems to be draining faster, I got a 10% and 5% warning about ten minutes apart...a quick calculation implies 100% would be 200 minutes or a little over three hours.
It's new iPad, so it's not a year old.
Anyone noticing battery capacity changing?
Not a lot of videos, a only reading and web stuff
How's your iPad battery holding up?
Thanks!

vukodlak75
Nisam Ti Dude
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

I got my iPad for fathers day. The battery is holding up just as much as day 1. I'm still really pleased with how long I can use this thing without charging it.
--
Money can't buy you happiness ... But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to haroldo

said by haroldo:

I got a 10% and 5% warning about ten minutes apart...a quick calculation implies 100% would be 200 minutes or a little over three hours.

It's not a linear discharge curve, so your math is wrong. Also, you WILL shorten the life of your battery considerably by deep discharging it regularly.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to haroldo

I've had my new iPad since its release and its battery seems fine.

Sometimes I use it a lot other times not so much.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

said by haroldo:

I got a 10% and 5% warning about ten minutes apart...a quick calculation implies 100% would be 200 minutes or a little over three hours.

It's not a linear discharge curve, so your math is wrong. Also, you WILL shorten the life of your battery considerably by deep discharging it regularly.

I typically let it recharge overnight. Rarely will I let it get to 0%

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to haroldo

Two years ago it seemed like I only had to charge my Original iPad about once a month. Now I have to charge it just about every day. I'm probably using it considerably more than I did in its early days but it seems to spend more and more time on the charger with each OS upgrade.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

2 edits
reply to haroldo

With this type of battery, unlike NiCads, letting it frequently get low on charge will affect it's life negatively although a periodic discharge is recommended. Good practice is to top up when it gets below 75% if your usage patterns allow that. These batteries are better when kept topped-up.

I believe the battery will discharge at a faster rate when it's at a lower charge level.

My iPad 2 battery is as good as the day I got it.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to Stacy

said by Stacy:

Two years ago it seemed like I only had to charge my Original iPad about once a month. Now I have to charge it just about every day. I'm probably using it considerably more than I did in its early days but it seems to spend more and more time on the charger with each OS upgrade.

Speaking of which I have to wonder if iOS 6 will negatively impact battery life? I guess we will find out soon enough since its release is in about 4 days. I sold my first gen iPad a little after I bought the new iPad. I sold it via the Amazon buyback program for ~$220 USD. It was in perfect condition when I sold it and the battery had no signs of degradation.

koolman2
Premium
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK
reply to haroldo

Sounds like you may need to recalibrate the battery meter. Let the device drain completely where it turns itself off, then charge it to full overnight or let it say 100% for several hours. Do this twice and you should be good.

My iPhone 4S did this when I wasn't charging it full for several weeks and would just plug it in when I could. It would say 20%, then 15%, I'd plug it in and it'd instantly say 27% and such. After running it through a couple full charge cycles, it hasn't had problems since. I think the key is to only charge it to full if possible.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to haroldo

Battery problems here too. I have to charge every day now. Less than 2 years old.
Won't be getting an update to ios6 either. So much for no fragmentation.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.