atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
join:2004-02-14
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre

Premium Member

RE - WAN Port Speed

I just purchased a new router (my old one was having issues). The WAN port speed is connecting to the cable modem at 100M instead of 1000M. Any clue what could be causing this? My previous router connected to the cable modem at 1000M. The new router has an 1000M WAN port. I'm just confused as to why its not using the max port link speed.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Different cable? If so, could be one of the pairs is bad.

Otherwise, try going into to your router and setting the WAN port for "1000Mbps full duplex" rather than letting it default to "auto-detect".

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre

Premium Member

said by More Fiber:

Different cable? If so, could be one of the pairs is bad.

Otherwise, try going into to your router and setting the WAN port for "1000Mbps full duplex" rather than letting it default to "auto-detect".

I tried two different cables. That did not solve the problem. I do not know if you can adjust the port speed on this router (its a Netgear r6300). Before I was using a Linksys EA 4500 and it just went poof.
atuarre

atuarre

Premium Member

I connected my PC to the wan port and the status page on the router shows that the link is 1000m. I connect the old router to the cable modem and the link status is 1000m. So, as far as I can tell, both the ports (on the cable modem and the new router) function as they should, but for some reason the Arris CM830 cable modem will not talk to the new router at 1000m, only 100m. If I connect it directly to my computer, which also has a gige card, it only connects at 100m. Do you think I should try swapping out the cable modem? Or do you think I should go exchange the router for another one to rule out it being defective?
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

Bink to More Fiber

to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

This is almost always bad advice when it comes to GigE connections.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to atuarre

MVM

to atuarre
Do a hardware reset on the R6300 ... Hold in the reset button then turn the router power off with the power button then while still holding the reset button in power up the router waite 10 seconds then release the reset button.

Now if the wan port still refused to connect at the link speed you expect return the router for a replacement.
switchman
join:1999-11-06

switchman to atuarre

to atuarre
Make sure the cable you use has all 8 wires connected, some only have 4 and will only get to 100M.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to Bink

MVM

to Bink
said by Bink:

said by More Fiber:

You have something to back that up?

carp
Rejected
join:2002-10-30

1 recommendation

carp

said by More Fiber:

said by Bink:

said by More Fiber:

You have something to back that up?

Uh, yeah, for gig over copper auto negotiate is the standard! and the only way gig over copper will work properly

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre

Premium Member

I bout another modem and it connected to the router with no problem at 1000m. I don't know if its just the modem or the two devices just have a failure to communicate. One person suggested that I just get a gigabit switch and put between the router and cable modem. Someone else told me to stop using hardware routers and build a PC router with an old machine and use that. I was just meh about all that.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

Glad you resolved the issue. Which make and model of modem was giving the R6300 problems and which make and model of modem did you replace the problem modem with?

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre

Premium Member

It was an Arris CM820 and I replaced it with a SB6121

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to carp

MVM

to carp
said by carp:

Uh, yeah, for gig over copper auto negotiate is the standard! and the only way gig over copper will work properly

I agree that's the standard, but when two devices don't auto-negotiate 1Gbps correctly, then sometimes the only option is to manually set one of the devices for 1Gbps full duplex.
puzz1ed
join:2005-02-20
Markham, ON

puzz1ed

The correct procedure is to fix both sides. If you don't you will get a speed or duplex mismatch and possibly worse performance.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Du ··· mismatch

If there is a cabling or hardware problem though, you may find that no connection is possible at the fixed speeds hence the original problem of falling back to 100Mbit/s.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB to atuarre

to atuarre
Yes, auto-negotiation should be on, but it should always negotiate to 1GB Full duplex. If not, then you have some problem with your hardware.

I had this problem a few years ago. It turned out that my crimps were not that good. This is why I stopped making my own patch cables. I replaced all of my patch cables with store bought ones.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre

Premium Member

Yeah it wasn't the patch cables. I dont know if its just the Arris and the Netgear do not get along or what but the surfboard modem I bought worked fine.

I don't crimp cables anymore. I worked in IT years ago and I hated doing that. I hated crimping cables, I hated toning out cables, and I most certainly hated having to work with Meridian (switch) and those stupid punch boards. All the cables I used are cables that were purchased.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB to atuarre

to atuarre
If its any consolation, one of my linksys switches and one of my Netgear switches did not like each other either. They would never negotiate 1GB. But connected to anything else they were both happy.

In the end I blamed the linksys.