share rss forum feed

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to TheZandrew

Re: Speedtouch.ca not so honorable as it turns out...

The only problem is with WPS? I've got a lot of sympathy with this Dave guy. I mean seriously.. Ya, there are a couple of rare and exceptional devices that will only work with WPS, but overall what a useless feature.

Also, there is this:
WPS has been shown to easily fall to brute-force attacks.[2] A major security flaw was revealed in December 2011 that affects wireless routers with the WPS feature, which most recent models have enabled by default. The flaw allows a remote attacker to recover the WPS PIN in a few hours and, with it, the network's WPA/WPA2 pre-shared key.[3] Users have been urged to turn off the WPS feature,[4] although this may not be possible on some router models.[5]
--
electronicsguru.ca/for_sale/Cablemodems

TheZandrew

join:2011-01-04

2 edits
I might not have been the clearest in explaining.

1. There is no way of connecting to wireless, unless you do WPS. As in typing in the correct password to a broadcasted SSID doesn't work. The router won't respond UNLESS you press the WPS button and then it fails. (Meaning you cant connect at all without WPS, and WPS itself doesn't work)

2. There's no way of disabling WPS either. Which means, you can't access WiFi with a password unless you go to the router, press the button, let it fail, try to connect with the password and just to be rejected again, and repeatedly try until it takes. You have to do this each time you try to connect to the router, like a system restart.

This bug defeats the idea of conventional setup completely, aka basic functionality...Which makes the firmware buggy and incredibly infuriating.

Also, I haven't done anything to Dave from Speedtouch.ca

Heres what I've done so far:

1. Reported the firmware is buggy and asked for advice, which was rejected, fair enough, the product is old and I wasn't expecting much anyways.

2. Suggested that he take down the firmware from the site so that nobody runs into the same situation again

3. Arrived at a reasonable conclusion about his intentions based on his actions

Heres what I haven't done:

1. I HAVE NOT demanded for a replacement.

2. I HAVE NOT made any unreasonable requests as his customer, yes I bought the modem from him 2 years ago.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I buy something, I'd expect it to last longer than 3 years, and the supplier/ manufacturer give proper support. I am an academic and medical professional, I dedicate my efforts to support and improve quality of life for my patients, I honestly dont see why its too much to ask for from everybody else. Do you ever see your doctor and he tells you that you're out of luck because you're too old? And that many people are born and many die every year? Think about that.

------------------------------------------------------------
Update!
After getting on the phone with a friend back home in the US, who gave me a number of a Thomson dealer in Houston. I emailed them up and guess what? They provided support even though I didn't buy it from them, and they didnt seem to care even when I told them that. THAT'S how you do customer service, and THAT'S how you build your reputation. Many of you may disagree with this, but at the end of the day, they have my business in the future and speedtouch.ca doesn't
------------------------------------------------------------

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
said by TheZandrew:

1. There is no way of connecting to wireless, unless you do WPS. As in typing in the correct password to a broadcasted SSID doesn't work. The router won't respond UNLESS you press the WPS button and then it fails. (Meaning you cant connect at all without WPS, and WPS itself doesn't work)

Okay, that is a useless firmware
--
electronicsguru.ca/for_sale/Cablemodems

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
join:2003-05-24
I bought 2 modems from Dave, he is 'OK'

Last time i bought a modem and adapter, it was left by the door while it was snowing last year, box was a little wet, and i was like damn, dude ............ hopefully this works lol

I waited like 48 hours before i turn it on
--
www.urimage.net - Free Image Hosting