share rss forum feed

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:29
reply to NormanS

Re: I want my DHCP back!

Indeed, DHCP is being phased out for PPPoE in most AT&T-serviced areas. If you want to shoot me a PM with your account information I can look into it, but billing & ordering departments (and AT&T's provisioning department) won't be in until Monday so I probably won't be able to actually get anything done on it until then, fair warning.

Note that you can still use a router with PPPoE to split the connection to multiple computers; more than 5 even, if you wish.

DSLvis

join:2009-01-29
said by dslx_nick:

Indeed, DHCP is being phased out for PPPoE in most AT&T-serviced areas.

Why is that occurring?
I too have DHCP and also in AT&T territory.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA

1 recommendation

Mainly just a hardware issue; more servers which are configured for PPPoE than DHCP, so as more and more people sign up for DSL, the DHCP servers tend to run out of room faster than the PPPoE. So, putting new connections on PPPoE helps balance the load out... doesn't mean we have no DHCP room left, but default behavior right now is to fill up the empty room on the PPPoE side first.

Davesworld

join:2007-10-30
Everett, WA
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

Yikes! If at least PPPoA was provided one could at least keep the same MTU as the internet itself at 1500. PPPoE has overhead that PPPoA and DHCP does not.

The highest MTU without packet fragmentation for PPPoE is 1492. The one gotcha with PPPoA is that whatever is acting as the firewall/router MUST have the modem in itself. You cannot bridge a modem to a firewall/router and use PPPoA. With DHCP bridge works perfectly.

I'm in DHCP country but still wonder how much more a static address would be or if it can even be added to a residential account.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
If you're on DHCP, you're usually able to go to Static. You can check by logging into the Members page (»www.dslextreme.com/members) and clicking on the option "Modify your Internet", then "View available Subscriptions in my area".

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to dslx_nick
said by dslx_nick:

Mainly just a hardware issue; more servers which are configured for PPPoE than DHCP, so as more and more people sign up for DSL, the DHCP servers tend to run out of room faster than the PPPoE. So, putting new connections on PPPoE helps balance the load out... doesn't mean we have no DHCP room left, but default behavior right now is to fill up the empty room on the PPPoE side first.

Pretty sure its because now you guys are just reselling AT&T where as in California before you had ATM connections to AT&T where you could actually bring the circuits over and be routed through your network using your (dhcp) servers. From what I have seen even in california now you guys just resell AT&T so routing is AT&T (not dslextreme) and no more DHCP.

I have serious doubts that the reason is for what you stated.
--
300/150 mbit Bonded Verizon FiOS connection FTW!

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
Oookay...? Well, you're welcome to believe what you will, I suppose. Regardless, we do have DHCP connections, and if raytheon wants to send me a PM with his info, I can see about getting him his DHCP connection back.

customer

@dslextreme.com
reply to houkouonchi
I have an AT&T phone line and confirm that DHCP is working fine with DSL Extreme. Not really sure what some of you are talking about. That said, if DSLX is forced to stop supporting DHCP connections because of ATT, that would be very disappointing. Don't want to go back to PPPoE troubles. DHCP no problems whatsoever.