Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to ctceo

Premium Member

to ctceo

Re: Your thoughts

It's nothing to be embarrassed about.

I did a quick look and it doesn't seem to me that Indiana Tech is a public community college.

Have you thought about Ivy Tech Community College of Indiana? It's a public community college, which I always recommend over any private institution.

Have you earned your GED? Admission requirements for a community college do vary, but most require a GED or High school diploma.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen

Premium Member

said by Robert:

which I always recommend over any private institution.

I strongly agree with this. In private institutions the case always seems to be an all or nothing deal. Meaning any credits that you may have cannot be transferred in and any credits you earn there cannot be transferred out.

With public colleges and universities you can take classes at a cheaper price that you may need then transfer everything to another school to finish in getting the diploma.

ctceo
Premium Member
join:2001-04-26
South Bend, IN

1 edit

ctceo to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
Ivy Tech is also one of the other schools I applied at. They use an entry exam called "COMPASS". I failed that exam twice in a 3 year period and got discouraged. Since then I've been trying to study up on middle school math, which is my weak spot as far as qualifications go. Which was also a reason they wouldn't let me take chemistry in high-school, can't say that I blame them in that case.

If I had the money for a tutor that would be great, but I don't. So I have to juggle re-taking middle-school math and up with making ends meet and having time left over for sanity training, lol.

I've found KhanAcademy.org to be a VERY awesome resource when it comes to the math tutoring and greatly appreciate what Sal Khan, the founder, envisioned and is doing for humanity at large.

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

The COMPASS Assessment, according to their website, isn't a test, but an assessment to determine which level you need to start in.

Were you accepted into Ivy Tech? What happened after you took the COMPASS -- what did they say?

ctceo
Premium Member
South Bend, IN

ctceo

Premium Member

They told me that they were unable to offer any grade level appropriate courses because I scored really low on the math portion of the compass.
Expand your moderator at work

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to ctceo

MVM

to ctceo

Then you need to get some tutoring to get better at it and take the COMPASS again....

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness

said by CylonRed:

Then you need to get some tutoring to get better at it and take the COMPASS again....

This is a good suggestion. Tutoring, or classes, something to get your math skills up to where the university will offer you courses.

ctceo
Premium Member
South Bend, IN

ctceo to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
Definitely working on that. Health is the priority now. I had a brush with a very very mild sepsis early this year but fortunately caught it early enough and got some fluids and antibiotics in my system. Now I must follow up on treatment and will have plenty of down time to study.

Thank You all for your kind words, and thank you to anyone who helped me out with a few cents.

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert to ctceo

Premium Member

to ctceo
said by ctceo:

They told me that they were unable to offer any grade level appropriate courses because I scored really low on the math portion of the compass.

But were you accepted into Ivy Tech? They offer free math tutoring, but only to Ivy Tech students.

ctceo
Premium Member
South Bend, IN

ctceo

Premium Member

No, I was not accepted. I made a few phone calls and tried to arrange a few meetings to fix the issue, but they pretty much insisted I go back to high school (one even suggested I do that in addition to middle-school remediation). I was 26 at the time.

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by ctceo:

No, I was not accepted. I made a few phone calls and tried to arrange a few meetings to fix the issue, but they pretty much insisted I go back to high school (one even suggested I do that in addition to middle-school remediation). I was 26 at the time.

Have you earned your GED?

ctceo
Premium Member
South Bend, IN

1 edit

ctceo

Premium Member

No. I cannot pass the GED test.

: »highered.mcgraw-hill.com ··· est.html

1)c

2)a

3)? Do not understand the questions answer options.

4)d

5)? Do not know the formula.

6)d

7)? I keep getting answers that are not in the list (15 min).

8)? Do not know the formula.

9)? I do not understand the question.

10)? I do not know how to do decimal division without calc.

11)? I don't know the formula, but would guess B.

12)a - Some geometry stuck.

13)d - Percentages can be easy for me as well.

14)? I don't know what a complement means in this case.

15)a - I play a lot of D&D, probabilities are my thing.

16)? I do not know the formula or understand the answers.

17)? I do not understand the question or answers

18)? I keep coming to answers that are not on the list.

19)? I keep getting answers that are not on the list.

20)b - Charts are also my thing, D&D skillz.

21)c - Rounding and averages are another D&D skill.

22)? I do not understand the question or answers

23)? I do not know the required ratio to convert.

24)? I do not understand the question.

25)? Not sure but continuing the lines my guess would be 42

According to the final grade using my "assumed" answers:

Results Reporter
Out of 25 questions, you answered 8 correctly, for a final grade of 32%.

8 correct (32%)
3 incorrect (12%)
14 unanswered (56%)

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro

Premium Member

said by ctceo:

No. I cannot pass the GED test.

: »highered.mcgraw-hill.com ··· est.html

Then you have some major catching up to do.
I took the test for hahas, all correct in 22 minutes without using a calculator at all. I am 38 BTW.
cowboyro

cowboyro to ctceo

Premium Member

to ctceo
said by ctceo:

5)? Do not know the formula.

9*Adult + 5*Child = 67
7*Adult = 38.5 -> A = 38.5/7 = 5.5
Replace in 1st -> 9*5.5 + 5*C = 67
49.5+5*C = 67
5*C = 17.5
C=17.5/5 = 3.5
said by ctceo:

7)? I keep getting answers that are not in the list (15 min).

1st song = 4'56" = 4*60 + 46 = 296"
2nd song = 2'30" = 150"
3rd song = 10'16" = 616"
Average = 1062/3 = 354", convert to mm:ss, largest whole number of minutes that fits is 5 (300") left 54" -> 5'54"
8)? Do not know the formula.
said by ctceo:

9)? I do not understand the question.

Find the best bang for the buck - the cheapest 2 to purchase and the most expensive to get free.
said by ctceo:

10)? I do not know how to do decimal division without calc.

Back to basic math for this. Hint: Try to find the European method for dividing. The one taught in US is retarded and convoluted, no wonder why kids can't do it. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo ··· n#Europe
said by ctceo:

11)? I don't know the formula, but would guess B.

There is no guessing in math. V=L*H*W
H=V/(L*W)
said by ctceo:

14)? I don't know what a complement means in this case.

The angle you would add to it so that the sum is 90deg.
Ex complement of 65 is 25, 65+25 = 90
said by ctceo:

16)? I do not know the formula or understand the answers.

No formula, just expand the expression and simplify.
6(k – 3) – 5(k + 2) = 6k -18 -5k -10 = k-28
said by ctceo:

17)? I do not understand the question or answers

You start with m dollars. spend 1/4 of them on rent and 1/5 on food. What is left?
m(initial) - m/4(rent) - m/5(food)
said by ctceo:

18)? I keep coming to answers that are not on the list.

1 1/4 + 1/2 + 3/8 = 1.25+0.5 + 0.375 = 2.125
said by ctceo:

19)? I keep getting answers that are not on the list.

Since it's an even number, the median will be the average of the 2 middle numbers.
(6lb4oz + 6lb12oz)/2 = (12lb 16oz)/2 = 6lb 8oz
Although the proper way would be ((6*16+4)+(6*16+12))/2 = (12*16+16)/2 = 6*16 + 8 = 6lb8oz - choosing this way because it's much easier to calculate for ex (5lb3oz + 7lb 15oz) /2
said by ctceo:

22)? I do not understand the question or answers

For the equation 2x + y = 4 find the x at which y=0
2x+0=4 -> x=2
said by ctceo:

23)? I do not know the required ratio to convert.

1lb = 16oz
lbs = (5oz * 76burgers)/16
said by ctceo:

24)? I do not understand the question.

Which are the numbers that when multiplied will produce 6x – 6
said by ctceo:

25)? Not sure but continuing the lines my guess would be 42

The sum of all angles in a triangle is 180.
One of the angles is 90 and one is 42
The other is 180-90-42 = 48.
urmom
Premium Member
join:2010-10-18
Pittsburg, KS

urmom to ctceo

Premium Member

to ctceo
said by ctceo:

14 unanswered (56%)

I'm wondering why you left any unanswered. The test appears to be all multiple choice. Guessing at least gives you a chance to get the question right.

Granted, it won't give you the knowledge, but you could possibly pass the test and get into school where they can give you the math help.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to ctceo

MVM

to ctceo
quote:
3)? Do not understand the questions answer options.
There is only one question. How much does a persona make per hour.

Per hour signifies a division problem and you are given the total money made. All you need to do is figure out how many hours worked in total (3 times 40 - 40 hours per day for 3 days). From there you have all of the info needed to get the answer.

Earnings\hr is the problem - earnings divided by hours. Put in the total earnings ($1500 something by memory - I looked at the problem a couple days ago) and total hours and divide.

I believe it worked out to $12.55/hr if I remember correctly.
Expand your moderator at work
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to CylonRed

to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

40 hours per day for 3 days

40 hours per day?

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert to ctceo

Premium Member

to ctceo
For some, math is easy. For most of us, math isn't. Math has always been a struggle for me, but as I aged, I realized that the great thing about math is that there's only one right answer, but for many problems, there are multiple ways to get to the answer.

I don't know much about the GED, but I think there are classes to help you prepare for the GED. You need to take those classes so you can learn the material, and then you take the exam.

Learning how to complete the questions in the McGraw-Hill sample quiz will not help you -- you need to learn the fundamentals of math (an issue many students face).

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed to Bob4

MVM

to Bob4
Yep - a typo....

ctceo
Premium Member
South Bend, IN

ctceo to cowboyro

Premium Member

to cowboyro
It took me about 1 hour to complete the test.
ctceo

3 edits

ctceo to Robert

Premium Member

to Robert
I totally agree. The test that I linked here is a contemporary GED Practice test. I took it to see where my holes were so that I could find the appropriate material on KhanAcademy to watch the videos and do some practice on the site itself before taking the real test.

I learn best hands-on. Watch, do by myself, get corrected, do with help, repeat until I can do without the help step.

As for Long Division, It was all they taught me in Elementary School. Then is High school they had to screw it up by requiring we use shorthand which my brain could not understand and often lost track of quickly (I do have ADD, though it is better now than it was then, but like Rob said some brains just don't work like others).

@cowboyro: Thank You for the help in describing each of the questions. I have since found a few great methods in my own head on solving some of them, but they're far from perfect and I still generate errors, but half as many.

And I want to thank everyone here for their help. I do not wish anyone have to go through what I am, save to say I'm doing better thanks to member kindness here on dslreports.

Thanks Justin & Gang

Special Kudos to Endy!

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to Robert

to Robert
I always had trouble with math where I could not see a practical use.

For example..

"Mrs. Falbo bought 9 adult tickets and 5 children’s tickets for the recital. The total she paid was $67. Mrs. Ustinov bought 7 adult tickets and paid $38.50. How much does each type of ticket cost?"

Who in the hell uses this? Why not just ask how much is an adult ticket and a child's ticket? I can think of a dozen ways to get this answer without math.

For most of the others I can find the answer but I almost always find it with an alternate method. 99% of the time my way is as fast as the correct way. The problem I had in school is that teachers didn't like my so if you didn't do it their way you often didn't get credit.

For example..

23+39=62 I see 20+30+12=62. I had several teachers in jr high and high school that didn't like this method and discouraged it. To me it's who the hell cares as long as I get the correct answer.

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by battleop:

I had several teachers in jr high and high school that didn't like this method and discouraged it. To me it's who the hell cares as long as I get the correct answer.

Since I was a business major in College, I only had to take the basic math courses: College Algebra, Business Statistics (2 courses), and Business Calculus.

And in nearly every class, I had a professor that would take points off on students who solved the problems, but not the way that the professor taught it. I always thought it was wrong, but whatever, not my place.