spc
Search similar:

uniqs

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich

Problem getting to domain name

Hi Guys
I am helping an friend out with his server and the problem is that I cant get to is domain at portal.domain.com but I can get it by his public static IP but see he can get to portal.domain.com locally since he is on that IP range just fine its just the outside if that IP range nobody can access it. I have setup A record and C alias name for it but I still cant get to portal.domain.com from my end.

So what can be the issue here? He is running CentOs and he does have mikrotik firewall infront of this server and we tried to disable the rules and still no luck. I cant even ping or telnet into portal.domain.com but I can ping and telnet via public static ip.
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

Unless you're willing to provide some real naming details/ip address and name servers, you're not going to get much help.

treich

treich

alright the real address is portal.airlinkrb.com which it points to 12.216.18.130
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to treich

Premium Member

to treich
I don't know what your actually trying to accomplish but I'm finished playing your game. I can get to the same "landing" page using both the name and IP and I get this on the web page:

Your Internet access has been restricted. Please contact Air Link Rural Broadband, LLC

treich

treich

I am not playing any games it seems like I have a issue with my ISP and I already confirmed with some other people after I created this post.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to treich

MVM

to treich
My guess is his ISP blocks and/or filters incoming requests. They are a rural wireless provider, so bandwidth is a premium. It would not surprise me if they block standard ports such as web, ftp, etc and redirect them to that page. Their AUP says no servers are permitted unless you are on a business account.

If it's just for personal use, try a different port such as 8080, 88, 8888, etc.

treich

treich

No I am on FTTH account and he is connected via wireless which he owns and I had other people said they access it just fine and its just me who cant access it.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to treich

Premium Member

to treich
If you can access it via address and not via name, then you have name lookup problems. It is nothing to do with "IP ranges".
Graycode
join:2006-04-17

Graycode to treich

to treich
Click for full size
Answer this time is A record (IP)
Click for full size
Answer this time is CNAME
said by treich:

I have setup A record and C alias name for it but I still cant get to portal.domain.com from my end.

Don't assign both an A and CNAME, the results of that could be unpredictable. When the name is being resolved: if the A record happens to be used then it (of course) yields the answer IP. But if the CNAME happens to be used then then resolver would often try to query using an IP as if it was a name, which won't work.

You should only assign the A record, and never CNAME to an IP (because an IP is not a name).

Sometimes when suspecting DNS issues it helps to use a 3rd party, often I use DnsCrawler. Both images (success and failure) were for the same query.
»www.dollardns.net/cgi-bi ··· y#report

treich

treich

so graycode your telling me to take out the C name then right?