dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
said by diablo1892:

How do I forward ports on my HN modem?

Get an account with a static IP.

It is simple with Hughes: if you have a standard dynamic account then all ports are blocked. If you have a static IP, all ports are open to that IP. Normally you give that IP to a router, and follow standard procedure to forward on to your LAN.

So in case my first line wasn't clear, that isn't just one way to do it, it is the *only* way to do it with Hughes.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 93W, .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
Hey don.. This came from my skype chat, i'm not sure how i should have said it so i will copy and paste:
Just ask him this. I have 2 accounts on my modem, say you and Josh...how does your modem know which info he must forward to your ip adress, and which info to your brothers ip address.
You must also ask then if you can run a server for hosting games while your brother has also a connection to your modem.

I don't know much about it, hope I can get this resolved.. I'm using TV to get some help from my skype friend as well
--
HN7000S/ 1 watt/ pro plus edition/ 4 pc's on a D-Link wired router/ 1-2 pc's on wireless D-Link router with password

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa
Without context I don't know how to answer most of that. Data through a router comes two ways: by replying to an established connection, and by unsolicited "push" from an outside IP.

An example for the first case: two users request different web pages. When the requests go out they are "tagged" so that when the response comes back they are properly sorted to the requesting IPs.

In the second case, generally they come in on a specific port, and the router either sends all requests to one machine, or is setup to send specific ports to specific machines. The Hughes modem can do the first one of those, but only if you buy a static IP. It cannot/won't do the second way, so that is normally handled by a second router inline.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 93W, .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa
reply to diablo1892
I should also add that, at least historically, you are not limited to buying one static IP; you could also choose 5 IPs for more money (the reason only one or five has to do with network masks). If you have 5 static IPs you can assign them to as many as five different machines behind the modem.
--