share rss forum feed

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Contracted installers for SL.....

So I woke up today to see that my neighbor is getting SuddenLink installed. Didn't really think much of it, the contractor was out at the main pole getting a drop (or inspecting the existing one) to the pole on property.

About an hour passes and I go outside, the contractor has since finished and left. Then I notice that from the pole on property where the weather box has been installed to the house (which is a good 20 feet or more) he has simply laid the cable line across the grass and left it!!!!!

This can't possibly be up to standards. I didn't get the guys name or truck number or license but is there some way to report this mess? Does SL even check to see if their contractors are capable of doing the job?
--
20/2 Suddenlink : Current
5/1 CMA : Old
15/2 TWC : Old

arandomguy

@suddenlink.net
This generally seems to be the case when SL installs new lines to people's houses. What generally tends to happen, from my personal experience, is that they have one person install the line and someone else bury it at a later date. The problem is, while most of the time it gets buried quickly, one time the cable was laid out on the grass for nearly a month around here.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
That seems incredibly shoddy to me, lol. I'll keep an eye out for another crew. Would really rather not have something happen to that line and have it mess up my connection, both off the same drop.

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to arandomguy
said by arandomguy :

This generally seems to be the case when SL installs new lines to people's houses. What generally tends to happen, from my personal experience, is that they have one person install the line and someone else bury it at a later date.

This is fairly standard, saw it all the time with Comcast.
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Wow, I have quite literally NEVER seen this happen before, lol.

allthetime

@wideopenwest.com
This is standard procedure. You cannot dig without calling Missdig or whatever it is in your area.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
Ya, I know that part. It's onecall or something like that down here. Just never seen them throw it out on the yard and be done.

Being that there is already a 1'' conduit for the phone line that runs directly to the corner of the house, could they not have used that instead? Or is there some rule SL has that says no

nnaarrnn

join:2004-09-30
Nitro, WV
said by moldypickle:

Being that there is already a 1'' conduit for the phone line that runs directly to the corner of the house, could they not have used that instead? Or is there some rule SL has that says no

They can't if the telco owns the conduit.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Conduit is from the property owner. We all rent on this road, lol, so I know that much.

Will just wait a few days and see what happens with it. Hopefully they don't mow it :/

nnaarrnn

join:2004-09-30
Nitro, WV
said by moldypickle:

Will just wait a few days and see what happens with it. Hopefully they don't mow it :/

I'd get a $5 can of marker paint, and paint that sucker bright orange to make sure. It'll wash off the grass over a short period, or the grass will grow and the painted part be cut.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink
reply to moldypickle
Don't hold your breath. I waited for months (yes, I called) before a crew showed up. They ran their trencher for about 8 feet, said there were too many tree roots, and left. Never got anyone to come out, so I got a shovel and a hatchet and buried it myself.
--
Romney spoke too soon? Obama criticized President Bush in 2007 immediately following the killing of a U.S. diplomatic officer in Iraq. I guess that just contributed to a robust foreign policy debate.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Yup, no one's showed up yet

justchil3
Premium
join:2009-07-20
Charleston, WV
reply to moldypickle
I had to bury my own line when this happened with Charter (before suddenlink bought them out). I waited 3-4 weeks then got tired of mowing around it.

Suddenlink actually brought some equipment.. pulled a conduit underground then the wire through that. I must say if nothing else works correctly with my internet... they did a proper job of wiring from the distro box to my house.

benk016

join:2011-06-05
Owasso, OK
When they ran a new drop to my house they said it would be a week or two before they had a crew out to bury it. When I got home from work the next day the locates had been done with markers and paint, and the next day it was buried. I think it just depends on how busy the crew that buries it is.

jdmm72

join:2002-02-12
Nitro, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to moldypickle
I've seen that with the telco here. You ought to see under my fence. There are telephone lines everywhere, and the people those lines serve don't have landlines anymore. They just laid them against the fence, I removed the fence, had miss utility come out to mark, they missed half of them. I and my neighbor both cut one each, both unmarked, and no repair crews out, so must have been unused.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
reply to moldypickle
Thought I would update this....

Still no surveyors or "digging crew". Cable just laying across lawn.

benk016

join:2011-06-05
Owasso, OK
Start cutting it once a week. I bet that will get them on the ball to burying it.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
reply to moldypickle
another month later and still no bury, lol

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
call them and let them know. Seriously they need to dig soon because around here they quit digging over the winter.
Also let the property owner/ landlord know.