All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

LongWait
@sbcglobal.net

LongWait

Anon

Comcast Installs Neighbor & Disconnects Us - 5 Days to Fix?

My sister just called to say comcast was working on their poll yesterday to do an install for a business behind her house and in the process they disconnected her. After numerous calls to customer service, the best they would promise is 5 days to fix the problem they created. Apparently "expedited" service in this situation means they will move you up only if some other customer in the queue cancels. Anybody know how to get a local human being to talk to in Houston?

They promised numerous times to call back in "30 mins" starting at 9PM last night. (But still no call back after ~19 hours and counting)

(This seems ludicrous)

Thank you in advance!
Xfinity_Tech
join:2012-08-31

Xfinity_Tech

5Days??!! Still havent gotten any call? or any sooner appt?

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview to LongWait

Premium Member

to LongWait
said by LongWait :

My sister just called to say comcast was working on their poll yesterday to do an install for a business behind her house and in the process they disconnected her.

... and Comcast wonders why people hate them so much.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy to LongWait

Premium Member

to LongWait
A few years ago, a neighbor moved out and Comcast came to disconnect their service and disconnected our service instead. They sent a truck out the next day. One of the reasons this happened is our service comes in underground and the only ways to ID the correct lines is either the tags or absent a tag, they have to tone the lines (which entails accessing the properties as the ground blocks are in the basements in our development).

It is also possible that they have run out of ports on the tap in question and a line tech has to change the tap plate in order to add ports. They seem to treat business customers like gold and residential customers like rusted scrap metal. They might have disconnected a residential customer to accommodate a business customer. I am a residential customer and their customer service is not that great (unless you pay for signature support). But I have heard that if you are a business customer, they'll send a tech out the same day and their best tech support is no extra charge.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

Business costumers pays more then residential service to get better service. Now if you was paying more to get better service would you be ok if they fixed a residential before you.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by Caddyroger:

Business costumers pays more then residential service to get better service. Now if you was paying more to get better service would you be ok if they fixed a residential before you.

Maybe if I buy their signature support, then maybe I'll get better service (and not get techs who cut corners or plug the meter in, says the signal is fine, and blames the outside plant or customer equipment). I am paying a good chunk of change to Comcast anyways.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Caddyroger

MVM

to Caddyroger
said by Caddyroger:

But is it okay to disconnect a long time residential customer in favor of a new business customer?

OTOH, if there is a practical alternative to "Xfinity"; maybe a threat to switch to "U-verse" would light a fire under them.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

No it not ok to disconnect a residential customer to install a business customer. They should gotten the equipment ready to install the business customer.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

Neither should it take them five days to fix their error.

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

is this a joke? I would be throwing a shetstorm.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
No it should not them 5 days.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics to LongWait

Premium Member

to LongWait
Call their Corporate office. I bet you it gets done the next day.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium Member
join:2003-09-18
Lard

THZNDUP to LongWait

Premium Member

to LongWait
While the following may or may not do much good, including them as 'CC:' on a complaint to whomever the franchise/cable commission is can't hurt.

»radio-locator.com/cgi-bi ··· state=TX

»www.stationindex.com/tv/ ··· /Houston

At this point, all your sister can get is a few days shaved off getting reconnected. With some additional prodding, she may get more than the minimal credit for just the days she was disconnected.

Getting her reconnected should have been done that night at the latest. It should not have gone past the same day, let alone possibly up to 5 days later.

longwait
@hfh.edu

longwait to LongWait

Anon

to LongWait
I just got an email from my brother-in-law letting me know this has now been resolved. (After 3+ days instead of 5.)

Apparently the problem was a loose connection on their modem causing "signal from (their) house". The relevant portion from his email:

"We just now got our connection re-established. The technician said that the reason we were disconnected was that there was some signal coming from our house that interfered with others on the network (ie the business just connected). He didn't find that out until he called in before trying to re-connect our cable. He fixed what seemed to be sending out a bad signal (just a bad connection on cable going to our modem). Then he reconnected up. He didn't know why we were never informed what was going on."

Thank you for your comments and suggestions!

-Longwait
sava700
join:2005-03-08
united state

sava700 to Robotics

to Robotics
said by Robotics:

Call their Corporate office. I bet you it gets done the next day.

Yeah I did this a few years ago - around 4 years I believe and yep got my problem addressed real quick or at least got the local area manager's attention to dedicate a line tech to the problem which still took a few months to resolve. BUT, in the mean time this caused me yet another problem this year cause I wanted to get a job as a tech with them and guess who I had the damn interview with and we both remembered each other (area manager) needless to say as I was thanking him for interview and leaving I told myself it was a damn waste of time and yep didn't get the job.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to LongWait

Premium Member

to LongWait
Curious why the business install tech could not even knock on the door or leave a note though.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44

Premium Member

We dont know he didnt knock on the door. lots of people dont answer the door when it gets knocked on. (my wife being one).
Bottom line here is you dont leave one customer connected at the expense of hundreds of others.
Mumzy
join:2009-07-30
Olive Branch, MS

Mumzy

Only five days? My internet went out a while back on a Wednesday so I called tech support and he said the earliest they could get out was Wednesday. I was like cool they can come out today! Tech said no, I mean next Wednesday. 7 days with no TV and no Internet. I would have cancelled but my only internet alternative is Centurylink 1.5mb dsl.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics to sava700

Premium Member

to sava700
said by sava700:

Yeah I did this a few years ago - around 4 years I believe and yep got my problem addressed real quick or at least got the local area manager's attention to dedicate a line tech to the problem which still took a few months to resolve. BUT, in the mean time this caused me yet another problem this year cause I wanted to get a job as a tech with them and guess who I had the damn interview with and we both remembered each other (area manager) needless to say as I was thanking him for interview and leaving I told myself it was a damn waste of time and yep didn't get the job.

Very sorry to hear that. I hope it wasn't to hard to find a better place to work for.

In my mind this doesn't make your local Comcast office look that good if the manager used it against you. Unless you really gave them a piece of your mind, then I guess I could see a problem.
People normally don't call business's to report a problem when there isn't a problem. And if that business uses that against you down the road, then that's saying a lot about the business.
(just my opinion)

Do hope all has worked out for you.

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu to LongWait

MVM

to LongWait
A horror story of 3 days (originally assumed to be 5), then another one of 7 days?

How about my story, which as of yesterday makes the start of the 6th week? (Which reminds me, I need to post a follow-up in that thread to state what happened yesterday)

Starting the 2nd week I had to start keeping a Word file documenting every single person I spoke to (name, phone number, what division they were with, etc.) and what all had transpired. That file is up to 26KBytes at this point and still growing. It's a saga of never-ending proportions, and as more and more gets discovered the more I realise that people in my area have become so accustomed to crappy service that nobody actually calls in issues any more -- they just tolerate the crap. Sad panda.
ctggzg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-11
USA

ctggzg to LongWait

Premium Member

to LongWait
said by LongWait :

They promised numerous times to call back in "30 mins" starting at 9PM last night. (But still no call back after ~19 hours and counting)

That's standard business math. If the air conditioner repair guy says he's 15 minutes away, expect him in half an hour. If you get an appointment window from 10 AM - 12 PM, expect them at 12:15. If the nurse says the doctor "will be right in", you'll be waiting another 20+ minutes.

I'd much rather have honesty than misguided optimism or flat-out lies. If I know I have to wait an hour, I can do something else in the meantime. Don't keep telling me it's almost my turn and waste my time.