signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

2 recommendations

[Chat] Alain is learning something new

So for the last few months, my girl, Alain, moved from Cebu to Mindanao so she could be a live in caretaker/maid for her aunt and uncle who moved back from the USA. While not everything is milk and honey for her still (they wash clothes by hand, for instance), things are better for her and our son. And she has just taken on a new challenge that is kind of a big deal for her: She's learning how to drive! Most people there don't know how to drive and can't afford a vehicle, and it is more common for husbands to drive than wives...

Her somewhat grumpy uncle is cheerfully teaching Alain how to use the brakes and accelerator. And they plan on her going to driving school at Christmas time when she goes home to Cebu to celebrate the holidays with her brothers and family.

And do you know what? She says this driving stuff is easy! Now I'm glad I won't be the one that teaches her (been there, done that with the ex, not fun), but as has always been the case with her, she is determined and competent. She keeps making me proud.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

lonnyb
Blessed Beyond Belief
Premium
join:2004-01-25
San Antonio, TX

1 recommendation

I hope she has fun. I like driving.

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to signmeuptoo
Hope she will be like a duck to water

My wife Heather is the "professional" driver as she brags. She likes control of the steering wheel, so I have let here always drive when we both go somewhere together. She used to have a commercial driver's license, and drove a school bus for a couple years in Canada. She drove the huge rental truck we used to move to Michigan in 1996.

I think the control comes from her Dad's side. My mother-in-law Bonnie always said when they moved back from FL to Ontario, her Husband Bob drove 50% of the time, her son Kenny drove 50% of the time (They both like control!) and she drove 100% of the time (as a passenger, but she hates traveling, especially at highway speeds.) So Bonnie is not the driving enthusiast - but she loves to go places!

As for Alain, maybe some day you can be a regular passenger, while she takes you from place to place on good old US soil. I'm sure like me, that would be OK, as long as you're all together. Still praying for that day for you now and then!
--

Jim, VoIP 12/2002, VOIPo 2/2007
FAH-Tool~Pets~Join Artist-247

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
She certainly could handle it, she used to be a quality control worker in a floppy drive factory. She is a pretty awesome dame! Thanks for the kind thoughts!!!