temporarily, use www.howardforum.com

(no s at the end)

jtel

join:2005-06-28
Bristol, RI
Reviews:
·GCI.net
reply to MEeastern_ca

The domain was transferred, with stolen info, to another provider, how could Ghostery or an anti-virus know that?

said by elwoodblues:

said by Juggernaut:

Just tried it, and it works for me. Try this link to the Android forums: »www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/379

I'm getting a re-direct on that too, but Ghostery stops the re-direct cold.

said by Madtown:

My Avast alerted me saying Trojan Horse blocked.

johnbor

join:2004-03-30
Chagrin Falls, OH

how do they steal a site like that? didnt they lock it?

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to Anon

Exactly.... WHAT KIND OF "EMERGENCY SUPPORT" ARE THEY GETTING??

It seems GO DADDY sucks the big one!! -- They should leave them and go with someone MORE RELIABLE!!

alanhdsl
Premium
join:1999-10-09
Phoenix, AZ
reply to MEeastern_ca

Re: Howard Forum not available

Apparently they have to get the registrar it was transferred to to relinquish it, so Go Daddy is waiting on them.

The stolen domain itself won't trigger a virus warning, but they're redirecting howardforums.com to spammy sites which try to install malware.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

Its ridiculous that someone can do this and have THIS MUCH TROUBLE undoing it!!

jtel

join:2005-06-28
Bristol, RI
Reviews:
·GCI.net
reply to alanhdsl

I've got Ghostery on Chrome with a single site allowed (Disqus) and it auto updates but that didn't make a peep when I was redirected.

Someone also did say that this showed up as a Trojan Horse through their AV. Isn't a Trojan on your computer not out in the cloud?

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to MEeastern_ca

Click for full size
Howard seems to have more trouble. The latest:

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

Yes thats the garbage whoever did this to them's stuff!

Im still getting nothing on www.howardforums.com (Nothing good anyway)

cloudio

@comcast.net
reply to MEeastern_ca

I use Avast! antivirus software on my PC ,and every time I've tried to access howardforums.com since the hijack, I get a Trojan virus notice. I am not sure if it is a false positive, but if it is real, a whole lot of users of Howie will be infected. Caveat emptor.

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by cloudio :

I use Avast! antivirus software on my PC ,and every time I've tried to access howardforums.com since the hijack, I get a Trojan virus notice. I am not sure if it is a false positive, but if it is real, a whole lot of users of Howie will be infected. Caveat emptor.

I have Avast too and I get the same notice too.

MEeastern_ca

join:2012-01-12
Brampton, ON
Reviews:
·BabyTel
reply to resa1983

I received the following response from my ISP ElectronicBox today located in Canada. Sept-19-2012. regarding www.howardforums.com

"This is happening because the site you are trying to access has not renewed its license and has been removed so there is an automatic redirection in place."

MEeastern_ca

join:2012-01-12
Brampton, ON
reply to dsilvers

Apparently the web site is now www.howardforum.com. No "s"

meowmeow

join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT
reply to MEeastern_ca

While usually the most common cause, that's not the cause this time - someone stole the site. Usually, these guys snap up recently expired domains. This time they stole a domain...

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

And its sad GODADDY isnt doing more to get it back!!

THEY SHOULD DUMP THEM!!!!!

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Revol Wireless
·AT&T DSL Service

1 recommendation

They would not want to dump them without possession of there domain, if they would dump them now, they would possibly never get the domain back, I've lost one domain because of a hosting company just closing up, was never able to transfer it because I could not get the transfer code.

Godaddy is having to play the waiting game for these smucks to give them the code to release the domain back. I would personally be chewing up and down icanns ass for help right about now if Howard knew what was good for him.

alanhdsl
Premium
join:1999-10-09
Phoenix, AZ
reply to MEeastern_ca

I wonder if the scammer deliberately chose an unresponsive registrar. Most will work fine if all you need to do can be done online automatically, but if there's no human customer support a case like this will be impossible to resolve.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to MEeastern_ca

Cases like this just show NO ONE CARES ABOUT ANYONE and its very sad.......

AnnaS8

join:2005-05-26
Annapolis, MD

Question...Since they got their domain stolen where user accounts exposed? HoFo hasn't told us to change our passwords but I am not sure how safe we are now. Do we need to change our account passwords on HoFo?

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by AnnaS8:

Question...Since they got their domain stolen where user accounts exposed? Do we need to change our account passwords on HoFo?

according to "howard", all the data is secure:

»www.howardforum.com/content.php/···d4f9ecff

"In case you're wondering our forum data is unrelated to the domain so it is safe"

AnnaS8

join:2005-05-26
Annapolis, MD

Thanks for the quick reply. I wasn't sure so I thought I would ask.

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to AnnaS8

said by AnnaS8:

Question...Since they got their domain stolen where user accounts exposed? HoFo hasn't told us to change our passwords but I am not sure how safe we are now. Do we need to change our account passwords on HoFo?

Which is why I use different passwords for different accounts.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to redwolfe_98

said by redwolfe_98:

said by AnnaS8:

Question...Since they got their domain stolen where user accounts exposed? Do we need to change our account passwords on HoFo?

according to "howard", all the data is secure:

»www.howardforum.com/content.php/···d4f9ecff

"In case you're wondering our forum data is unrelated to the domain so it is safe"

What information is stored in the howard forums cookies? I'd not ant my email accessed by scammers.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"