All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Zappa2000
join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI

Zappa2000

[Telephone] Does phone use the same cable as tv & modem ?

Was thinking of trying out Charter's phone service, and I wondered, does the phone hook up to the same cable as everything else ?
Then from the phone device (I really hope this isn't a combo unit...), it can plug into any jack in the house ?

If so, then why isn't there a self-install option ? I mean, it is easy enough to disconnect MaBell's connection to the house from the outside via the box on the outside of the house... so, I am guessing Charter does something special ?
zed260
Premium Member
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Netgear R7000

zed260

Premium Member

charter uses same coax for it all

the wire comes in hooksup to a cable modem and then that modom connects to the phone line

its not something that plugs directly into a phone jack but instead plugs in ushely at the box outside where your current phones hooked up

the resaon charter doesnt support self installs is most end users wont know how or wanna deal with it its more then one wire you need special tools etc

plus they wanna make sure its done right due to fcc guidelines on phone being so strict

»www.wire-your-phones.com/

anhisr
join:2001-12-01
Ballwin, MO

anhisr

When they installed the phone system in my house he just tapped into the closest phone line inside the house.
Zappa2000
join:2001-12-16
Kalamazoo, MI

Zappa2000

The issue with this place is, there is no open AC that is usable in the basement, which is where the NID comes through the wall.
That is why I was hoping they could just use the phone jack that is next to the computer upstairs.
Seems like they could do that, going by what anhisr said, though, I am unsure what issues are involved with that. I assume all the other phones around the house will work as normal ?

Strange Data
join:2012-08-25
·US Internet

1 edit

Strange Data to Zappa2000

to Zappa2000
Technically what they use is referred to an MTA. The way that most cable phone installs go is:
Cable guy goes to the phone NID, cuts off service going to internal wiring.
Hooks up MTA to cable outlet closest to power and phone jack.
Jumpers MTA to phone jack, thus (by design) activating all the phone jacks in the house
Makes sure MTA is provisioned and dial tone is present.
Makes inbound and outbound test calls

The reason why there will NEVER be a self install option when it comes to phone services is because of 2 things; home wiring, and provisioning.

Sure, you could do it all yourself though, if you know what you're doing, and the MTA was already provisioned properly. One could simply plug in the MTA, and plug the phone into the back of the MTA and just activate that one phone. But from what I've seen, you get telco wiring involved, some weird stuff happens (mainly because of sloppy building/upgrading). Newer houses, where people actually care about clean installs, that's a bit different.