Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to More Fiber

Premium Member

to More Fiber

Re: Why Card Fraud Grows

Huh? Credit cards do NOT require pins. If there EVER is a change in that then a lot of folks, like myself, will instantly stop using credit cards. Since that is an extremely gigantic change for Americans and would prove very painful I can't believe that sort of nonsense would ever go over here. I still believe that you are talking about debit cards. EMV is NOT on table in this country. RFID is.

I do not believe for one minute that Americans would allow this utter nonsense and basically evilness. I can see Americans accepting EMV for debit cards but NEVER for credit cards. Debit cards in this nation do NOT have the protections under federal law that credit cards have. That is why only foolish people get debit cards.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

Huh? Credit cards do NOT require pins.

Oh really? Mine does, and many do here in Canada. It's a chip card.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn

Premium Member

said by Juggernaut:

said by Mele20:

Same.
My VISA card REQUIRES a PIN code in order to process a transaction. It has the magnetic strip and the chip.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Yep, unless the POS reader doesn't have the chip reader, or is not functional yet.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

said by Juggernaut:

said by Mele20:

Same.
My VISA card REQUIRES a PIN code in order to process a transaction. It has the magnetic strip and the chip.

In Canada? I was talking about USA. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I have an RFID card that also has a magnetic strip. It doesn't have a pin. It is the card of the future in the USA during transition to RFID cards that do not require a pin and that will eventually not have a stripe. There are maybe 25-30 merchants in this area where you can wave it. Everywhere else you need to swipe it but no pin required either way. I haven't used it yet as it was sent when my card expired as a replacement for the Platinum card I had which was nicer looking. It's the ugliest card I have, smaller than standard size, and thinner. It would be easier to lose because of the non standard size and the dreary, dark color.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

In Canada? I was talking about USA. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

That's okay, I was referencing Canada not USA as was Juggernaut See Profile. So there are credit cards that DO require PINS.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
As has been discussed many times here, RFID cards are very insecure. My CC company sent me a chip card 6 months after sending me their new RFID card.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Yes, I was the person who started the main threads here regarding RFID cards. I started a long thread here several years ago on them and then again when I got mine which was about a year ago. At the beginning of the last thread I started, I was very skeptical of the card and its safety. But that turned out to be because of my ignorance. I was sure I knew about RFID cards and didn't want one. However, technology changes rapidly and I was going on my knowledge from the first thread several years ago.

Luckily, I didn't let the negative comments in the more recent thread (that had nothing to back them up) make me believe these cards were still bad. Instead I researched and read a great deal. I suggest you do the same although I am referring to RFID cards in the USA not in Canada or Europe where the system is DRASTICALLY different and NOT better for USA because of the differences. OLDER RFID cards are insecure and, of course, USA banks would love for you to believe that is still the case because they want liability changed to be borne by the customer. So, if they can convince you that RFID cards TODAY THE VERY LATEST TECHNOLOGY IN THEM are unsafe then they have a sucker who is thrilled to be told that in order to get a "safe" card that the sucker has to accept liability and that is "minor" because, of course, with the vastly "safer" chip card it doesn't matter if liability is shifted to the user. Yeah, and pigs fly. Educate yourself. But then your country has already snookered everyone there as has most of Europe. So, I suppose there is no hope for you. Americans have not yet been snookered and, hopefully, we will not allow that to happen.

It sounds like I am the only one in this thread who actually went and read the link Name Game See Profile gave to that forum discussion. (Snowy See Profile doesn't need to read it but others should). That explains some of why Europe's approach is quite different from USA and why USA does not need to nor should take Europe's approach.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

I am assuming the info there is correct..but you never know in this changing landscape.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
I'm glad you feel secure in your decision. Personally, I don't feel good about any card that depends on a non-physical interface to use. That's my choice, right? As it is yours.

BTW, thanks for your timely insults regarding my country, and other countries. As usual, you belittle anyone that does not agree with you.

Have a good evening.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I'm not sure how you equate my comment about England refusing cataract surgery to the elderly until they often are so lacking in sight that they cannot read, watch TV, and fall frequently because they cannot see, to be an insult. It is a sad fact not an insult.

It is also a fact that Europe does not have card verification set up as we do. In Europe everything is not online probably because of the cost of broadband there. Here all verification is in real time on line. It is a completely different system here and unique to the USA. Because of it we do not need chip and pin cards but no one from Canada or Europe ever mentions this. It was not meant as an insult, but as a fact that should NOT be overlooked when discussing why the USA doesn't have the system Europe has and why our system should not be considered "backward and behind the times" as it is not. It is far more advanced than Europe's partly because we enjoy much cheaper broadband.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to Juggernaut

Premium Member

to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

I'm glad you feel secure in your decision. Personally, I don't feel good about any card that depends on a non-physical interface to use. That's my choice, right? As it is yours.

BTW, thanks for your timely insults regarding my country, and other countries. As usual, you belittle anyone that does not agree with you.

Have a good evening.

Feel like you are among the chosen..and a rare privilege..it is a common trick by many debaters as they think it makes their point stronger and factual...just don't fall for de bait.
Unless you like the Game.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

So, because I didn't provide the link to prove my comment about many elderly in England being denied cataract surgery until they are almost blind I am a trickster? UGH. I thought if I provided it then we might have a slew of OT comments but I can give it to you by PM if you'd like.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

So, because I didn't provide the link to prove my comment about many elderly in England being denied cataract surgery until they are almost blind I am a trickster? UGH. I thought if I provided it then we might have a slew of OT comments but I can give it to you by PM if you'd like.

Then why inject it at all I am not interested in it so save your PM's...this thread is about credit card fraud..