Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

1 edit

Belkins are quite sensitive!

We have a Belkin router and it keeps locking up due to bad signal levels from the cable company.... I used to have a Toshiba modem that did the same thing......

Makes me wonder if these pieces of hardware that lock up due to low signal are actually BETTER as they are looking for the signal level TO BE WHERE ITS SUPPOSED TO BE!! (The signal drops too low and it causes the equiptment to transmit TOO HIGH and it locks up as a result)

Stuff that doesnt have issues with the signal dropping might not be as reliable...Sure they do not lock up BUT THAT DOESNT MEAN THEY ARE BETTER.. (It means they arent as selectable about the levels which techinally isnt as good)

What do you guys think??

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

1 recommendation

Post your modem levels.

Post your modem make and model.

Post your router make and model.

join:2012-09-17
North Coast
reply to Dude111

How do you make the connection of the router "locking up" with bad signal levels? Is this an all in one unit? If not, it makes no different what signal your modem gets, it will always output a level within specs. You may need to clarify your issue, right now it is as clear as mud.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to Dude111

But if the signal level COMING IN FROM THE ISP gets too low,THE MODEM/ROUTER will transmit STRONGER and they cant handle it and lock up...... (I think thats why they lock up)

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

said by Dude111:

But if the signal level COMING IN FROM THE ISP gets too low,THE MODEM/ROUTER will transmit STRONGER and they cant handle it and lock up...... (I think thats why they lock up)

Ummm, you're confusing 2 different signals.

1st signal is downstream. Transmitted by the cable company CMTS and RECEIVED by your modem.

2nd signal is upstream. TRANSMITTED by the MODEM and received by your cable company's CMTS.

If both of those signals are off in the way you say (receive is low and transmit is high at the modem) 95% of the time your modem is not connected to the first 2-way splitter in your home.

Again, post your modem levels.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to Dude111

I guess im just speculating DrDrew as to why they lock up.... (I know low signal is one thing that can cause it)

Im not sure what the belkins incoming level is from the modem....

Expand your moderator at work