spc
Search similar:

uniqs

co
@comcast.net

co

Anon

My Cable Box/DVR recording problems.

Every once in a while, I DVR a show before I goto sleep and when I wake up in the morning it is never recorded. This happens on my TV downstairs and in my bedroom, so it is not the DVR boxes. It has to be a glitch in all DVR boxes I assume? Anyone else have this problem, as it doesn't happen alot but every once in a while.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

How are you setting the recording?
psuPete
join:2010-08-09
Lemont, PA

psuPete to co

to co
Also check the DVR log that you can easily navigate through the settings. It will tell you the status of each recording [attempt].

/Pete

co
@comcast.net

co to andyross

Anon

to andyross
I put up my guide and then hit the red/record button for the upcoming show. For instance, last night I wanted to record Comcast Sportsrise at 1:00 AM, as I found it on my guide, hit the red/record button, checked on my future DVR page to see it was confirmed, and then woke up this morning and it didn't record it?

Again, this doesn't happen alot, but every once in a while and it is frustrating when it doesn't record.
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6

This is probably a guide software issue. Rebooting on a regular basis might help.

What make and model number DVR do you have?
What guide version do you have?
yhp
join:2006-12-27
Philadelphia, PA

yhp to co

to co

I put up my guide and then hit the red/record button for the upcoming show. For instance, last night I wanted to record Comcast Sportsrise at 1:00 AM, as I found it on my guide, hit the red/record button, checked on my future DVR page to see it was confirmed, and then woke up this morning and it didn't record it?

Are you

1) leaving the DVR powered on, and

2) scheduling the upcoming show on the channel you're currently watching (or dozing off to, or lapsing into coma in front of, etc.) and not changing the channel?

I have repeatedly seen a show (in this case Colbert @ 11:30 on CMDYD) not start taping despite the preset record schedule -- IF I'm watching the show which precedes it (Stewart @11:00) live and allowing it to play through the 11:30 boundary. No conflicts, no warnings, etc.

I always have to remind myself in this situation to check "My Recordings" shortly after 11:30 to see if the recording has indeed launched. It does not fail EVERY time, but it is definitely a regular thing.

co
@comcast.net

co

Anon

You're correct about leaving it on the channel you are DVR'ing and then it doesn't record. That has happened to me several times and finally put 2 and 2 together, and try to change the channel to something I never record on before I goto sleep.

Also, what do you guys do when you turn off your TV and want to DVR a show? Do you turn off your TV and Cable Box? Or do you just turn off your TV and leave on your Cable Box?

Thanks again.
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

1 edit

Russ6

said by co :

You're correct about leaving it on the channel you are DVR'ing and then it doesn't record. That has happened to me several times and finally put 2 and 2 together, and try to change the channel to something I never record on before I goto sleep.

Also, what do you guys do when you turn off your TV and want to DVR a show? Do you turn off your TV and Cable Box? Or do you just turn off your TV and leave on your Cable Box?

Thanks again.

I leave the Cable Box on all the time so it can get guide listings updates. I don't know if it matters whether the Cable Box is on to get guide listings updates but I don't want to take the chance that it does. The Cable Box will turn on to record a show so it can be turned off, but if it is currently recording a show you can't turn it off without stopping the recording.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

There is no need to leave the box on for recording or getting guide information. That always runs in the background. It will turn on as needed to start a recording, and then turn back off when done. The audio will also be muted, but hitting any key will unmute and also cancel the shutoff if you need to use the box while it's recording.

I've had my DCT6412 since November 2004, with many iGuide updates over the years. I've never really had any issue where a recording didn't occur when scheduled. I have noticed that sometimes a manually selected recording will 'disappear' if it was set on a generic description and the entry is then updated. Sometimes, it ends up moving to another odd time.
yhp
join:2006-12-27
Philadelphia, PA

yhp

I've had my DCT6412 since November 2004, with many iGuide updates over the years. I've never really had any issue where a recording didn't occur when scheduled.

YMMV. I've got a DCX-34xx, and my Colbert settings are: Series, New Only, adding 2 minutes to both beginning and end.

And while it doesn't happen EVERY time, it happens more often than not. My "solution", generally, if I'm there watching, is to either just hit record for the "live" preceding show or shut the damn thing off.
High-tech hijinks. Easily worth $50 a month.

Glad you have no problems with this.