how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

[Rant] Comcast thinks we all love Infomercials!!

Saw this on my latest bill here in the Chicago area:

quote:
On 9/25/12, Cable Marketplace 2 channel 102 and Leased
Access channel 103 will move from Expanded Basic to Limited
Basic, a new Leased Access channel will be added on Limited
Basic channel 115 and Cable Marketplace 3 will be added on
Limited Basic channel 113.
Does anybody actually watch any of these channels?

Comcast Guy

join:2008-01-16
Harrisburg, PA

DirecTV has like 50 of them. Somebody must be watching them.

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT
reply to andyross

I watch the local zoning and alcohol beverage board meetings weekly. so yep I do watch them.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to andyross

Leased Access channels are usually a requirement for some areas, does not matter if anyone is watching or even likes those channels, they still are mandated.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leased_access

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to andyross

They also report all channel changes on your bill, not really note worthy.
--
Ex-Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my former employer.

btB

@rr.com
reply to andyross

If those new channels are for public, government, or educational access, then those channels would not likely have infomercials.

For the channels that sell you stuff, the issue is not whether pay tv providers think you love watching the infomercials or not. The terms "marketplace" and "leased" often means that the provider is getting paid to air the programming and/or getting a cut of whatever is being sold. So yeah. If you pay Comcast or whomever enough money, they will put you on the air.

Mgsports

join:2004-11-11
Olathe, KS
reply to andyross

Mine doesn't have extra Informercials Channels but would like to in HD. Had PIN but gone.

Mgsports

Olathe, KS
reply to beachintech

Mine doesn't because they add WFN/TVG/Outside Channel in SD without telling us.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

got a good one TWC in my area added:

Shop Zeal2 (Liquidation Channel)
Shop Zeal3 (Gem Shopping Network)
Shop Zeal4 (infomercials)
Shop Zeal5 (TCT)

in my area earlier this year.

dragonphan

join:2011-07-28
Lafayette Hill, PA
reply to andyross

Since many of them are over the air channels, the FCC is required to carry them. And they must get people's attention and get viewers. Otherwise, these marketers wouldn't spend big bucks on these 30 minute commercial spots.

Think of how his big investment in informercials turned Joe Francis into a multi-millionaire with Girls Gone Wild?

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to andyross

Comcast is in the business of making money. It's doubtful that Comcast would add these channels if they were not making money. In order for them to make money someone has to watch the channel and buy the trinkets they are pushing.

So yes someone watches these channels.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to moes

I wish the zoning meetings were televised as they get pretty heated I hear. Would be entertaining to say the least. Also the school board and city council meetings would be entertaining. Could make some popcorn relax and watch.

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

Yeah it can get very "neat" at some points in the zoning board meetings. The school board meetings are hardly ever televised here and the city council meetings they are tame.

Mgsports

Olathe, KS
reply to andyross

Olathe Meetings on it's Goverment Channel and so is Orange County/Seminole County in Orlando.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to andyross

I'll just say this. I've found that ever since I first got my HDTV, that if the picture and sound is amazing, I'll watch it, regardless of what it is, including infomercials. It's the reason why I started watching football, basketball, and baseball, along with tv shows that I never would have watched otherwise if it was only in standard def. High def just seems to make everything better.

beachintech
Premium
reply to Mgsports

You should call in to complain then. How dare they do something without you being notified!

It most likely was in a notice somewhere, whether it was a bill, insert, or your local paper.
--
Ex-Tech at the Beach.

beachintech
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to mikedz4

You should contact those organizations and have them request a community broadcast channel. Most of those organizations stream online anymore, waste of time to do it on TV and too much money in equipment.
--
Ex-Tech at the Beach.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

contacted city they said council would have to approve the expenses required to offer their meetings on cable tv.
They are not on the internet either.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

equipment required? Lazy lazy people. All they need is a webcam and a ustream or justin.tv account. Or hell they could even use a youtube account and stream live there. Or they could record it with the webcam then play back the recording on a video player attached to a broadcast channel.

Some ideas. »www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam-co···cam-c920

»www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam-co···tvcam-hd

»www.logitech.com/en-us/for-busin···rencecam

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

they claim they need to hire a cameraman and it has to be done professionally.
They also claim it costs too much to do a bulletin board plus to get comcast to add the channel would mean people would have to pay a franchise fee or so they claim.

beachintech
Premium

It would require more fee's in your neighborhood, but internet streaming is cheap.
--
Ex-Tech at the Beach.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to mikedz4

good gravy! I expected this from Hollywood but not from West Virginia lol. Do they want to hire a director too, maybe a costume designer? I think Michael Bay is available.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

I think it is the way comcast and/or the local university want it done.
For it to be live I think they'd have to get their own channel.
Personally i think they are doing everything they can to not add the channel.
I mean do they really need to invest in state of the art video technology? Why not just use regular camcorders get the high school kids to film it and feed it to comcast?
As for the bulletin board how hard can that be?

beachintech
Premium

There is a little more to that "Feeding to comcast" part that I don't think you understand.

They should be doing it via the web, rather than wasting analog space on the copper.
--
Ex-Tech at the Beach.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

I don't know of anyone in the pittsburgh area doing it on the web. Not even pittsburgh does it on the web. They have a city channel they broadcast live on.

beachintech
Premium

That's unfortunate for them. There are some backwoods counties here streaming all their events live on the web. Makes it even easier to ignore and more room in the spectrum for channels more than 7 people actually watch.
--
Ex-Tech at the Beach.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV

I don't thin anyone in ohio, west virginia or western pa offers their meetings online.

beachintech
Premium

I know of about a dozen school districts that do in that region, so people are doing it, it just may not be in your area.
--
Ex-Tech at the Beach.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
reply to andyross

anything close to wheeling,wv?