spc
Search similar:

uniqs
boontonflyer
join:2004-07-05
Somerset, NJ

1 edit

boontonflyer

[Connectivity] HSI outage ~~ 8 hours (no explanation)

Found no internet connection ~ noon on Wednesday (9-12-12).

Started checking out my equpment (SamKnows router/Switch/five computers [three wired/two wireless].
Didn't find any problem on my end. Would show private IP address on all of the computers (ie 169.xxx,xxx.xxx).

Broke system back to direct computer wired to cable modem (TM722G installed two weeks ago). No joy.

Each time I connected a different device I "reset" the modem so it would recognize/work with the new MAC address. All modem LED indications were correct(ie solid green on all withflashing"link" LED).

Had to go out in the evening. Got back on it at about 9PM.

Swapped out the SamKnows router with a Linksys WRT320N router . Still no joy.

Called Comcast. Spent about fifteen minutes with their person going through the usual BS. Yes I had connected direct/had reset the EMTA etc. He finally agreed to send a tech at 7:00 AM the next morning.

Worked on it a little while longer. All of a sudden it started working. No understanding of how or why.

Called Comcast back and cancelled the tech appointment.

Still working four days later. Yesterday put the SamKnows/FCC router back on line and seems to be working flawlessly (ie. SamKnows runs the ISP test routine each hour at a random time). All the data looks fine.

Any thoughts ??

Paul

PS: On Thursday during outage period " SamKnows server couldn't access my system" so that (I believe) confirms that it wasn't in fact online when modem indications were that it was.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

said by boontonflyer:

Would show private IP address on all of the computers (ie 169.xxx,xxx.xxx).

169.254.x.x are not private IP addresses. They are link-local address that are assigned to a device by its stack when configured to obtain an IP via DHCP but no DHCP server can be reached.

See: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ··· _address
hclarkjr
join:2002-08-09
Hostetter, PA

hclarkjr to boontonflyer

to boontonflyer
probably doing maintenance locally. mine went out for 5 hours or so labor day but i was able to call and was told that it was on their end. even told me when it would be back on
Xfinity_Tech
join:2012-08-31

Xfinity_Tech to boontonflyer

to boontonflyer
have you tried calling? see if theres anything reported?
boontonflyer
Somerset, NJ

3 edits

boontonflyer

Click for full size
Old equipment setup
No I didn't do that. Have done that on previous occasions over the last four/five years when there was an outage and Comcast could never confirm the outage existed. I made the assumption that the person I was talking to would be aware of that info.

Paul

PS: Edit add on 9/17/2012. When I reread this it seemed a little brusque on my part. In my prior setup I had "Redundant Dual WAN routers" and a second ISP source (DSL) so I was pretty sure that I knew when my system was working. I had some rather old but effective Symantec Dual WAN routers that I had "cloned" the same MAC address into running in "hot standby" . All I had to do to verify that my system was working was to use the router utility to check whether one or both ISP sources was active. Additionally all I had to do to verify my router was working correctly was to switch three ethernet cables (WAN Modem 1/WAN Modem 2 /Output to system switch) . The cables were color coded Red/White and Blue so they couldn't be mixed up.
Xfinity_Tech

to boontonflyer
No outages reported in your area as per the system,
You are using the 722g Correct?

Is it completely offline?
boontonflyer
Somerset, NJ

boontonflyer

Click for full size
Pic of Modem ident
Arris TMS 722G is correct. System has been online since late Wednesday (9/12/12). Put the original SamKnows router (Netgear WNR3500L) back in yesterday . It seems to be working fine and I just checked the SamKnows server data which is fine through 9 AM this morning.

Paul
Xfinity_Tech

1 edit

to boontonflyer
Right now it all looks normal.

EMTA
Arris Interactive, L.L.C. TM722G 2 of 2
Data 00:1d:**:**:**:ac
Transmit Power Level (upstream) 51.0 Dbmv
Current Device Status 6 (Online)
Downstream Signal Quality (SNR) 36.3
Receive Power Level (downstream) -1.5 Dbmv
Current CMTS Status ACTIVE
Modem Boot File d11_v_tm722g_tppremier16_c02.cm
Receive Power Level (upstream) 2.5 Dbmv
End of Life Status No
Upstream Signal Quality (SNR) 31.3
Modem Resets 0
Current Firmware 7.4.63A
Device Up Time 1 day, 8:17:38.24
Modem Lost Syncs 0
Device Make/Model Arris Interactive, L.L.C. TM722G
IP Address of Modem - 73.***.58.***
Docsis Capability DOCSIS 3.0
Serial Number of the Device B97BPG4BS**1702
CMTS FQDN cdn02.raritan.nj.panjde.comcast.net

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to boontonflyer

to boontonflyer
other then posting the mac address, im sure he appreciates the help.
boontonflyer
Somerset, NJ

boontonflyer to Xfinity_Tech

to Xfinity_Tech
Appreciate the feedback . Thanks.
Data seems to match what I see at 192.168.100.1 .
Only thing that seems different is that my actual modem address is in the area of 68.XXX.107.xxx .

Paul