MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig to ptrowski

MVM

to ptrowski

Re: 30-pin to Lightning availability

said by ptrowski:

It may be, but spending another $30 a piece on 4 adapters raises the price to $520 to start, it's just not worth it. I will wait and see what happens.

$19 for the cable, 30 for the adapter....

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Ok, so in theory 5 cables (forgot one in the car) and an adapter for the radio I have. And an extra adapter for the cable that came with my receiver. Just too much money. The adapter to go with the radio would make the phone sit ridiculously high.
Trust me I like getting new phones, etc, but this one just doesn't make sense.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to BellBoy

Premium Member

to BellBoy
I expect that 90% of things that used to use docks will go wifi or bluetooth, as mentioned. This is why Airplay came many years before Lightning. If you need to charge, you'll just go find your cable that came in the box and plug it in.

The rest of the common devices, mostly cars, will go USB, and it'll be bring your own cable.

The flip side is that the complete adaptability of the interface will allow for some pretty cool uses with external accessories--Square, for example, will probably use lightning instead of the headphones for more direct communication (unless the license fee is too high). I expect to eventually see thunderbolt to lightning and USB 3 to lightning connectors once the write speed of the flash on the phone gets fast enough.

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium Member
join:2000-12-14
Uranus

Homunculus to Nezmo

Premium Member

to Nezmo
said by Nezmo:

said by BellBoy:

said by dellsweig:

Third party adapters on amazon

»9to5mac.com/2012/09/16/f ··· -for-18/

This article doesn't bode well for 3rd party Lightning adapters: »www.engadget.com/2012/09 ··· nnector/

Just another reason for me to avoid the 5.

And the 5S/6/6S/7/7S/8/8S and all future iPods...

Apple has changed adapters on a few occasions... remember when the original iPad was a plain USB plug, and then Apple came out with the 30-pin adapter? I don't remember hearing so much fuss. Of course, there was no iPhone back then. Even so, technology advancements happen. It's part of the game. Should we be using SCSI on all our toys still?

The Lightening plug is great. It's smaller, and can be plugged in regardless of orientation. I hate the one-way-only function of the 30-pin plug.

RiseAbove
Premium Member
join:2004-01-30

RiseAbove

Premium Member

said by Homunculus:

Apple has changed adapters on a few occasions... remember when the original iPad was a plain USB plug, and then Apple came out with the 30-pin adapter? I don't remember hearing so much fuss. Of course, there was no iPhone back then. Even so, technology advancements happen. It's part of the game. Should we be using SCSI on all our toys still?

The Lightening plug is great. It's smaller, and can be plugged in regardless of orientation. I hate the one-way-only function of the 30-pin plug.

what fantasy world do you live in? When did Apple ever not use the 30 pin connector on an iPad they released to the public? They have always backed the 30 pin connector and it's been on everything.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

I think his memory is a bit ... foggy.

He probably meant iPod.. and.. Firewire. (Apple never made a portable device with only a USB port)

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to Homunculus

MVM

to Homunculus
said by Homunculus:

And when the adapters become more affordable and less of a rape to get one I may consider an iP5. Or perhaps I'll wait longer. Fact remains, right now it's an expensive deal to get the iP5 to work with those things that are wired in my little world. Many things are wireless of course and I use Wi-Fi, AirPlay and BT whenever possible but some things like my car still insist on a cable for music/audio from my phone. Apple can take a hike on the $30 adapter.

I have said in other threads regarding the adapter/iP5 that I understand things change. My beef is with the royal shafting we are getting on these cables and adapters.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26

Premium Member

I'm sure Apple must have taken into consideration that the change to the lightning port / cable would hold some back from updating / upgrading hardware. Add to this the flood of 30 pin accessories still on the market / hitting the market. Besides the cables / docks / adopter issue there are new case needed issues but that is another thread issue. Point being summed up is no matter how great the IP5 is its not a clean cut upgrade UNLESS this is ones first iPhone and you have no legacy hardware to deal with. The 30 pin to lightning adopter would be fine for a dedicated iPod that is used on a legacy dock provided it fits the dock as long as the iPod does not have to undocked too often. However the adopter is not going to practical on a phone that must be docked / undocked at least once daily and with multiple docks like home and office. IP5 will need new long term solutions and time for these solutions to come to market. Again for those that use the phone as stand alone with the supplied cable and can use blue tooth solutions / wi-fi solutions there will be no issue.

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy

Premium Member

What is the big f**king deal about this new interface??

History shows that every time Apple does something to push along the status quo everyone cries for a short time and then they get over it when the tech is in their hands.

OS 9 > OS X = whine
ADC > DVI = whine
Firewire 400 > FW 800 = whine
DVI > Display Port = whine
Power PC > Intel = whine
Floppy > CD/DVD = whine
DVD > No DVD = whine
Firewire > 30-pin USB = whine
30-pin > Lightning = MEGA-whine

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Ld7fsYI4

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

bobrk

Premium Member

+1

But we're fanbois.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

1 recommendation

Nezmo to BellBoy

MVM

to BellBoy
said by BellBoy:

History shows that every time Apple does something to push along the status quo everyone cries for a short time and then they get over it when the tech is in their hands.

OS 9 > OS X = whine
ADC > DVI = whine
Firewire 400 > FW 800 = whine
DVI > Display Port = whine
Power PC > Intel = whine
Floppy > CD/DVD = whine
DVD > No DVD = whine
Firewire > 30-pin USB = whine
30-pin > Lightning = MEGA-whine

(youtube clip)

I explained my point of view, quite clearly I believe. Don't be so sensitive. I'm not attacking you and my little rant is not going hurt Apple. You can calm down now.
Nezmo

1 recommendation

Nezmo to bobrk

MVM

to bobrk
said by bobrk:

+1

But we're fanbois.

Is that French? Cracks me up every time I read it. Just like 'Teh.' Actually, the latter just annoys me, lol.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to BellBoy

Premium Member

to BellBoy
Because to now use perfectly good cables and accessories I have I have to dish over a quarter of the price of the new phone for things that work perfectly, that's why. I buy the phone for $399 and then pay over $120 in new cables and adapters? That's why.
People have a legitimate reason to be unhappy that to use the exact cord that worked the day before now will either be $20 or $30 dollars to use. If you don't get that through your head then nothing will.
You take that company and it's products so seriously. Good
lord.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to BellBoy

Premium Member

to BellBoy
The bottom line is that this is the sixth generation of the iPhone and given the availability now of wireless methods of interfacing with other devices and the opportunity to simplify and improve the connector, it made sense for Apple to finally do this. Yes, it's going to cause some pain in the short term, but it will all be forgotten at some point.

For the record, we have two iHome devices in our house that will present a challenge when "the boss" and I both upgrade to the iPhone 5 or it's successor. We didn't expect them to live forever... My new Grand Cherokee uses Bluetooth for connectivity and switching out the $10 USB to iPhone power cable to my in-car mount that currently services my iPhone 4 will not be a big deal. It's just the cost of advancing technology...

BellBoy
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy to Nezmo

Premium Member

to Nezmo
said by Nezmo:

I explained my point of view, quite clearly I believe. Don't be so sensitive. I'm not attacking you and my little rant is not going hurt Apple. You can calm down now.

First off...that's quite an ego you have. I wasn't addressing you--hell, it wasn't even 'replied to' on any of your posts. It was simply a reply to everyone here (you included) and everyone that's been crying about this in the media that they should give it a rest.

I know you weren't attacking me because I wasn't attacking you. I'll be happy to calm down right after you give it a try.
BellBoy

BellBoy to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

Because to now use perfectly good cables and accessories I have I have to dish over a quarter of the price of the new phone for things that work perfectly, that's why. I buy the phone for $399 and then pay over $120 in new cables and adapters? That's why.
People have a legitimate reason to be unhappy that to use the exact cord that worked the day before now will either be $20 or $30 dollars to use. If you don't get that through your head then nothing will.
lord.

I'm a former employee and a current stockholder--I'll continue to take it seriously as an investor.

You don't want to buy the cables...fine...then don't buy the phone. Simple. Last time I checked the box wasn't big enough to hold the gun that will be pointed at your head.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to buckingham

Premium Member

to buckingham
said by buckingham:

The bottom line is that this is the sixth generation of the iPhone and given the availability now of wireless methods of interfacing with other devices and the opportunity to simplify and improve the connector, it made sense for Apple to finally do this. Yes, it's going to cause some pain in the short term, but it will all be forgotten at some point.

For the record, we have two iHome devices in our house that will present a challenge when "the boss" and I both upgrade to the iPhone 5 or it's successor. We didn't expect them to live forever... My new Grand Cherokee uses Bluetooth for connectivity and switching out the $10 USB to iPhone power cable to my in-car mount that currently services my iPhone 4 will not be a big deal. It's just the cost of advancing technology...

You know I never thought about it that way. So I will get my new iPhone tomorrow and head straight to the BMW dealer and buy a new car. I needed to buy a $2 plug but the hell with that, why would I want on old car that has Bluetooth only for phone calls, and a wire for music?

In all seriousness, isn't bluetooth audio worse quality than with the 30 pin dock?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

2 recommendations

ptrowski to BellBoy

Premium Member

to BellBoy
said by BellBoy:

said by ptrowski:

lord.

I'm a former employee and a current stockholder--I'll continue to take it seriously as an investor.

You don't want to buy the cables...fine...then don't buy the phone. Simple. Last time I checked the box wasn't big enough to hold the gun that will be pointed at your head.

It sounds childish for you to be telling people to get a life when the have a legit gripe over something. That helps nothing.
Great, you worked there and hold stock as do I. That doesn't cloud my vision though. It's a pain in the ass to have to spend a metric boatload of extra money because Apple chose form over function again.

Last time I checked as well no one is holding said gun to your head to be Captain Apple and try to save the day everytime. We get it, you love Apple and can't get enough. But the iPhone 5 and iOS is the first mediocre launch of an iPhone.

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman to BellBoy

Premium Member

to BellBoy
said by BellBoy:

snidey on your part..
Looks to me as a simple way for Apple to hide the true cost of using an IP5 to it's full potential.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to BellBoy

Premium Member

to BellBoy
said by BellBoy:

You forgot Mini-VGA --> mini-DVI --> mini-DP. Some Macbook Pros had full DVI too. So far people have had to buy $29 adapters for iPhones once. I have about $250 in dongles for displays in a pile. (Mini VGA to VGA, mini DVI to DVI, mini DVI to VGA, DVI to VGA, mini DP to VGA, mini DP to DVI, and mini DP to HDMI.)

It is what it is. My MBA doesn't have an optical drive and it's been painful once or twice. It's the price I pay for early adopting, as a few years from now nothing will come on optical media (I bought Adobe CS6 and it didn't)

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to joako

Premium Member

to joako
said by joako:

In all seriousness, isn't bluetooth audio worse quality than with the 30 pin dock?

It may or may not be--I don' tknow...but the playback via Bluetooth in my JGC sounds significantly better than it did by wire in my previous vehicle which also had a premium, albeit, older sound system. When you throw in road noise, the subtleties are a lot harder to identify, too. Now in the home...wired is likely going to provide a better audiophile experience if you are trying to listen in that regard. There's still a small disconnect there, because folks who are really serious about their music aren't overjoyed with a lot of the digital stuff anyway, no matter how it's encoded or routed to their amps and speakers.

BTW, I wasn't suggesting everyone run right down to their favorite car dealer and get a new car that supports Bluetooth integration. (unless you want to ) I was just intimating that wireless integration is quickly assuming the lead role "in the new world". I do believe that is something that entered into Apple's decision to revise the cable connectivity now, rather than waiting another generation or three.

BellBoy
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

Last time I checked as well no one is holding said gun to your head to be Captain Apple and try to save the day everytime.

What does that even mean? I'm not 'Captain Apple' and I don't know what day I'm supposed to be saving. I'm critical of Apple when they deserve it and I have been in other posts about the iPhone 5 launch. I've said it before and I'll say it again: if Steve were alive and still CEO, this launch would have gone differently (read, better).

I don't believe this to be 'form over function.' Lightning, Maps, etc. were done with a strategy in mind for Apple. Like the Intel move, there will be some discomfort involved. Like everything else in this capitalistic world, the consumer will have their say and if the iPhone 5 turns out to be a flop (it shows no signs of that) or a disappointment (more probable) in the long run Apple will learn from it and hopefully Tim won't let it happen again.

The iPhone 5, so far for me, is working just fine. I've only had the damn thing for a short time and only time will tell if all of this bitching is justified.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

A flop compared to just about every other release. Even the antenna issue was dwarfed by the multiple issues here. No doubt it sells like mad, and of not for some of these issues I would own one. But it's bigger, same camera, faster processor and LTE. That is catch up, not innovating.

An Captain Apple refers to the constant compulsion to seemingly defend any criticism towards the company. Maybe its perception, who knows. But let people complain, bitch, or be disappointed without having to counter everything. But it's an open forum so have it just like people can voice their displeasure.