uniqs
share rss forum feed

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to viperm

Re: OFF TOPIC magetic inteference on cableing / switches

Just ain't getting it...

I've been in these rooms.

STP, whatever, isn't going to help. There's nothing you can do to shield yourself from these.

Pull fiber is one option, but from the sounds of it you have other equipment in there. Switches, routers, etc will also be susceptible to "issues" from these things.

As was suggested above, read up on these things and you'll start to understand just how much of a corner you are in. I understand you're not directly IN the imaging rooms, that doesn't really matter. Not only are the imaging rooms dangerous in their own magnetic way (Carrying tools)... But the equipment in the back room that powers these monsters are nearly unfathomably powerful.

Do every kind of voodoo dance and shielding you want, and again as I stated, it won't help, or it's the equivalent of bubblegum and duct-tape. Get out of the room, or run ONLY fiber in there. ONE SINGLE COPPER ANYTHING (In a cable or a box) and you're right back to square one.

EDIT - For the price tag of these things, and the knowledge required to have/run them... Your client had better be able to get it through their thick heads that networking equipment can't coexist with them. If you're client is throwing a stink that they don't want the networking stuff to move, then DROP them. You're only going to create headaches for yourself by trying to make this work.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to viperm

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Went to one site tonight and the network equipment is in a rack about 5 -10 feet away from all the transformers for the Toshiba imaging systems.

Turns out the latency is not bad. The latency goes from about 2-3ms to about 45-50ms out to places like google, yahoo etc.

Most of the issues I think are going to be outdated switches ( old 3 com units) Mix match of off the shelf linksys gear.

We will be home running cables and adding some managed switches to control more of the network. Well the IT person will be able to manage it.

The last IT person has several managed switches that they are "not managing" because he never configured them with any IP's so they have default ones and who knows if there are IP conflicts going on etc.

This place is a mess the IT person before was more interested in taking care of websites and taking pictures of cute women to put up.

Asked the office manager about 24x7 support for their Sonic wall routers we will be supplying. She asked why 24x7 support we are only open 9-5pm??? I said "because you dont want to work on your network during normal business hours"---- LIGHT BULB!!

She said OHHH that makes total sense!

Why did the last IT person not suggest that she asked. I just said I dont know but your new IT guy is on the BALL!

MY buddy asked the outgoing IT guy where all the passwords are for everything. He says uhhh I have them my buddy asked again where? the outgoing IT guy says "in my head I will write them down...

Just walking into one office so far I will have plenty work for the next few months replacing switches, patch panels, adding cable, and replacing UPS batteries.

Instead of replacing the bad battery this guy would just ignore the big red light that said "REPLACE BATTERY" Really I dont see what this guy did and got paid to do? Oh well not my issue all I know is we have work to do..

FYI When I arrived on-site, the shielded doors to the units with all the BIG power wires and cables going to them were not even shut just wide open. Gee I wonder if that has anything to do with issues in and around the network equipment..

No one seems to know where the keys are to lock them up so they stay locked except for maintenance.
--
»www.accelwireless.com
ComTrain Certified Tower Climber.
Wireless and IT consultant.
Proficient in Mikrotik

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08
reply to viperm

In my opinion I do not feel that rack is sufficient to blocking EMI from that imaging device.

I would check the used market for one with a front and rear door as well as sides.

I would imagine the seek time is all over the place on your storage array when that device is in operation.

Also is your rack and switch grounded with a dedicated ground ?

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA

I saw no grounds anywhere on that rack that was something I brought up as well. RIght now they just want to update the switches and patch panels everything else in due time..

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to viperm

LOL What scares me more is that rack in the middle of a (I'm assuming) high traffic closet, right next to cleaning chemicals and a big-ass transformer system with the cabinets wide open. These guys seriously don't have priorities in order... This is a clinic/hospical/medical center right?

The last IT guy should have been shot.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
Winchester, CA

You are correct!!! THis guy was doing stuff in the middle of the day to he staff pc's they would call and he would ignore them. They would wonder why he was rebooting wihout telling them etc it was a mess till my friend got in there.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1
reply to voxframe

said by voxframe:

LOL What scares me more is that rack in the middle of a (I'm assuming) high traffic closet, right next to cleaning chemicals...

That tells me that access is not controlled to HIPAA standards. I only have to meet SOX standards and could not have a setup like that.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

Jerm

join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
kudos:2
reply to viperm

I big time LOL'd at this. We almost had the same "kind" of problem at my work.

Fortunately the building is already 100% fiber to the desktop:

»www.flickr.com/photos/emsl/4331026822/
»www.flickr.com/photos/emsl/4330292997/

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1

said by Jerm:

Fortunately the building is already 100% fiber to the desktop:

I was doing network design work for some generating stations for the PoCo a couple decades ago and when I proposed fiber, they turned it down saying that it clouds under nuclear exposure. Mind you they were all coal fired. They wanted me to design with 10BROAD36 instead.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

OHSrob

reply to viperm

Click for full size
corenetwork rack
Try to see if you can find a rack like this. With solid metal panel's and a honeycomb style mesh on the door's.

Also before someone else chimes in about that florescent light not being 1 meter away from my cat6 as per cisco guidelines. I have since relocated the light it.

We have the Rack grounded with 4AWG to the panel's buildings electrical ground as per the instructions. The grounding lug's on the switch's/routers have 6AWG running to the grounding plate in the rack.

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:2

said by OHSrob:

Also before someone else chimes in about that florescent light

It wasn't the light that caught my eye... it was the oven/stove sitting against the side of the rack that looks a bit unusual to me.

OHSrob

2 edits

said by jcremin:

said by OHSrob:

Also before someone else chimes in about that florescent light

It wasn't the light that caught my eye... it was the oven/stove sitting against the side of the rack that looks a bit unusual to me.

It makes a very good work bench with the drywall on top of it.

edit: The stove is down here because this is in the basement of a 100 year old apartment building.

I also sell 10 megabit down 512k up internet with 3ms ping to 151 front street in toronto to people in the apartment building for $30/mo.