San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Nemesis158

MVM

to Nemesis158

Re: [Qwest] Centurylink upgrades speeds, but service is horrible

Unfortunately, I've never been good at interpretation; nothing like d_l See Profile over in the AT&T forums. But, given the connection speed difference, and the normalcy of your speed in off-peak times, and the history of CenturyLink problems across their footprint, I am inclined to suspect router exhaustion. Generally only fixed by adding bandwidth; unless there is a less congested router available.

Not sure how the OOL test is run; but Java and Flash test results tend to be inconsistent. Maybe try "ShaperProbe"; it works with my ADSL2+ connection:
DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 4.71.254.149.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 698 Kbps.
Downstream: 15950 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 3.0 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 709 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 15642 Kbps.

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe/shaperprobe.html
Nemesis158
CTL 1G Fiber
join:2012-09-15
Spokane, WA

Nemesis158

Click for full size
TCP download on the left, FTP download on the right
One thing i noticed, was that after a few tests the graphs changed.
if you look at the first two graphs i posted, they are quite jittery, but remain mostly flat and level in sections. in the third graph i posted, there appears to be many upward curves. every time i tested with FTP downloads after that test, i got similar results. i then tested ftp vs tcp and this graph is what i got. the FTP graph looks like situations 5/6 on the packet test page. shaperprobe didn't detect any shaping.
Nemesis158

Nemesis158 to NormanS

to NormanS
Click for full size
16MB packet thourougput test at 10:50AM
Click for full size
The same test, with thouroughput levels marked
Did another 16mb FTP test today, im thinking the graphs i was getting last night might have been some kind of fluke. anyways i widened this one out and marked what i saw, between the two of them.