All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MajorPewPew
join:2010-09-19

MajorPewPew

What is Velcom?

Quick question guys, what/who is Velcom? Is it resold Teksavvy or Distributel? I know that Acanac is resold Distributel, and TSI and Distributel are competitors. I have had bad exp with both TSI and DIS, so Im considering others.

The only others I have heard of are EBOX, which is supposedly a separate entity. Although I have heard many people say that Start.ca is great, only time will tell.

Cheers!!

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

I'm not entirely sure if Velcom DSL is resold TSI or not but from the looks of the cable is resold from TSI.

Also Acanac is not a Distributel reseller, Distributel owns Acanac and operates it as a separate brand.

--

I'm in Ottawa on the Fallowfield POI I've had TSI and I know currently have Start and it's working perfectly and I haven't had any issues since I started using it in July.
rewritable
join:2005-01-09
M2RXXX

rewritable to MajorPewPew

to MajorPewPew
I was a long time velcom customer until recently. They really were great when they first started out. Support was prompt and useful.

Now, support is nearly non existent and sometimes, issues just seem to go ignored. The only department you can reach successfully is sales. Tech support seem clueless. The first time I asked about their 25mbit VDSL offering, they thought it uses the same ADSL2 modems. Please, at least try to learn about the product you are trying to sell.

There were a few times when internet did not work reliably. There were also a few billing mistakes. I don't think you can expect anything to be better here.

I was also looking at ebox and caneris before but they didn't have unlimited.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to MajorPewPew

Premium Member

to MajorPewPew

Consider START.

They offer Cable in both the complete Rogers AND Cogeco territory of Ontario (and were the first to do THAT), plus DSL up to 15Mbps in Ontario & Quebec.

I'm with them in Cogeco-Land and it is just as solid as Cogeco was, but without Cogeco's stupid policies/politics and without GOUGEco's smaller monthly usage caps and overpriced UBB.

START does charge for excess use on most plans, but at a lower rate, and only if you exceed their more generous caps.

That's MY 2 cents' worth.

vitesse
join:2002-12-17
Saint-Philippe, QC

1 edit

vitesse to MajorPewPew

to MajorPewPew
Velcom used to have someone reading this forum. Maybe he is still there and can help you.

I would recommend you Ebox or start communication. Personally I use Electronic Box and can't complain about their service. Cable connection seem really stable and they now have new hardware and connection so they stay away from slowdown in the evening.

Ebox is an independant company from Longueuil, QC and are operating since 1997. Start is a new company from Ontario I think but they seem to have good service and price. Both are present on DSLR

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by vitesse:

....I would recommend you Ebox or Start Communications. Personally I use Electronic Box and can complain about their service....

You CAN complain ?

Both of these companies have been around for a similar period, and each has a good reputation.

START only added Cable recently, which also can be said for several other of the Indie ISPs, except that so far, none of the others includes ALL of Cogeco's Ontario footprint.

The OP did not say which province in which they live.

eBox can offer Cable in Quebec (partnered with Videotron), IIRC, and START can do Cable in Ontario.

Start's forum is linked below.

vitesse
Saint-Philippe, QC

vitesse

It was missing some letter... sorry

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to vitesse

Premium Member

to vitesse
said by vitesse:

Ebox is an independant company from Longueuil, QC and are operating since 1997. Start is a new company from Ontario I think but they seem to have good service and price. Both are present on DSLR

Start is by no means a new company, they've been around since 1995 and have offered DSL for quite some time. They're just "new" to TPIA, but for what it's worth so far are the first - and only - ones doing anything on the aggregate Rogers and Cogeco POIs in Ontario.

vitesse
Saint-Philippe, QC

vitesse

I don't remember having see them on the forum before they began to do TPIA. This is good to know.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by vitesse:

I don't remember having see them on the forum before they began to do TPIA. This is good to know.

Not sure which provider you meant in that last comment, but that part is true for both of eBox & START.

JF was probably involved to a large extent in making us aware of eBox a little earlier, as they are his ISP, and he is pleased with them.

I believe that TSI began a small amount of TPIA (Cable) in 2010 and more after that (both ON & QC), eBox began some in QC in 2011, and START started theirs in ON in 2012.

Both eBox and START have forums here, but not through the main menu (links have been posted in the current thread, though).
grunze510
join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

grunze510

I'm pretty sure EBox was offering TPIA in Quebec since Videotron raised their max overage on Basic and High-Speed from $30 to $50 (2008-ish), if not earlier. Although at that time, they were reselling (or something involving) 3MenAtWork's network. I do remember about 2 years ago when Diskace announced that EBox got their own network up and running, which of course JF was super excited about. And then they got just a little popular when they announced their new plans in early 2012.

And there you go, a little possibly incorrect history of EBox. Wait, hold up. Was this thread supposed to be about Velcom? Meh, all of the above posts show just how irrelevant they are now.
MajorPewPew

MajorPewPew

lol, whatevs.
I just wanted to know whos who so I dont have to deal with TSI and Distributel, both are in my bad books and I want no part of them. Which goes back to the question, whos Velcom? Btw, Im in the GTA, and Im looking for a reliable service with good CS. I am aware of Start, but it seems quite new. I have NEVER heard of start.ca before last year, so... yeah

Quake110
Premium Member
join:2003-12-20
Ottawa, ON

Quake110 to grunze510

Premium Member

to grunze510
I'm currently with Velcom DSL from 2008 and I've had good service from them.
MajorPewPew

MajorPewPew

said by Quake110:

I'm currently with Velcom DSL from 2008 and I've had good service from them.

TBH, you cant really judge a company's CS until you run into a problem. Your experience tells me that Velcom has decent reliability, but what of their CS? Ever had an extended outage? How long was the outage? How long was the que during the call to tech support? Was tech support actually helpful? etc etc...
coldmantis
join:2005-02-04

coldmantis

Have Velcom for a while now maybe 5+ years, decently reliable service. Was down for 4 days last week due to bell pulling my line by accident, things I notice when calling in is that you have to call a few times because for whatever reason their phone system likes to hang up on you. When calling for support the wait is no like 30-60 minutes more like 15+ average
Expand your moderator at work
velcomrob
Premium Member
join:2006-11-28
Brampton, ON

velcomrob to coldmantis

Premium Member

to coldmantis

Re: What is Velcom?

we are still here. reading the boards from time to time. september/oct are the busiest months for us, it may take longer to reach support or sales. apologies.

if you can PM me about the disconnects on the phone system with some details, I want to try to find out whats going on.

thanks.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT to coldmantis

Premium Member

to coldmantis
said by coldmantis:

When calling for support the wait is no like 30-60 minutes more like 15+ average

Lol 15-30 or even 60min is NOTHING based on the current standards of a couple of bigger players... At least you don't get a drone from India that will read a script to you, but won't really help you fix anything

Redfox
join:2007-12-04
Kitchener, ON

Redfox to MajorPewPew

to MajorPewPew
I have been with Velcom for four years now and I am satisfied overall. Glitches did happen sometimes but I never had service outage yet. As per CS, I used their ticketing system and their response was very good.