PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Packeteers

Premium Member

to Packeteers

Re: AMD Radeon HD 8870 and HD 8850 Specifiation Leaked

I'm sorely tempted to jump back to AMD for GPUs since I run a 2560x1440 monitor. AMD owns performance at high resolutions. My last AMD was a 4870.

I suppose I'll wait for the 8000 series and upgrade both card and CPU at the same time.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

2 edits

Packeteers

Premium Member

I guess it depends on what you are playing with now. I mean if a game you enjoy is dipping under 24 FPS with everything turned on, then I would considering getting a 7870 at $200 sooner rather than later - life is short - enjoy yourself

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain

I've got a MSI Hawk 7870 GHz Edition and it's the balls! It makes WoW it's bitch, I very rarely if ever dip below 60 FPS on full ultra.

Crazy that the 8870 is going to have ~50-70% better performance and be $70 cheaper on release. I might grab one sometime next summer...depending on what the wife says, of course.

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY

Packeteers

Premium Member

on reddit there was a lot of valid skeptism about this article, so you may have to be content with your 7870 for a while, or simply crossfire a second one to it in a few years when those same cards get cheap as dirt.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

1 edit

McBrain

Good looking out.

I may end up buying another one for a crossfire setup, depending on how my one does with the 3x1 eyefinity rig I set up after the first of the year.

Speaking of which, I am trying to decide what brand and size monitors will be the best for this...I'm either going with 23" or 27" and more than likel Asus, Acer, or Dell. I plan on removing the bezels from the monitors and setting them up on a stand.

However, the wife said if this dips to around $1k that I can get one...I'm keeping my fingers crossed for it.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

Next monitor I get will definitely be 120hz refresh rate and hopefully 2-3ms response time.

I just wish someone would make a 120hz 25" monitor. Most seem to be 23"

I don't think I'd get a 1080p 27" monitor. That's just getting too big at that resolution.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

I'm really hoping she'll hold steady on her Samsung md230x3 promise and I can get one of those...it'll take the hassle out of trying to buy 3 monitors, a stand, modify said monitors, and set it all up to look awesome on my desk.

I'm looking around right now and I can't seem to find anywhere that has a better 3 monitor setup for a better price. Hopefully by March/April of next year, I'll be able to give you guys a review of how badass the setup is.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

For that kind of money I think I would just buy a 60” LED HDTV for ~$1500 and call it a day. You can get a 60” Samsung 120Hz LED for about that. Its something you can enjoy gaming on and its something the rest of the family can enjoy as general entertainment as well. Alternatively a DLP projector could work well too.

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers

Premium Member

yeah, costco has a 60" 120hz for $1500 now, but I'd rather invest up to $500 in a 2560x1600 30" 60hz S-IPS(wideview) monitor once those prices soften this coming year. I'm already watching most of my TV and Movies at my PC thanks to uTorrent honestly I don't see much point in going over 60hz if your gameplay graphics are only updating around 40fps.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain to Octavean

to Octavean
I'm really looking for something sweet for an eyefinity setup. My family and I will be PCSing to Okinawa at the first of the year, and a new television is definitely in the plans when we get there. So, I'll be buying a new TV anyhow...I'm just looking for the best possible way to set up 3 monitors for gaming/netflix etc on the computer. The reason I linked the Samsung md230x3 is because it is basically plug and play. If a better option is getting 3 120Hz HDTVs and setting them up, then I'm all about it. I realize that buying the displays separately and setting them up myself is definitely cheaper, but do I really want to take the chance of ruining a $300 display in order to modify it to resemble the md230x3?

I've never undertaken a project like this before, and I just want the best results. My options are as follows: buy 3 monitors with really thin bezels and a 3 display bracket; buy 3 monitors with thicker bezels, a bracket, and modify the bezels to be thinner; buy 3 larger display 120Hz HDTVs and modify the bezels; or buy a samsung md230x3.

I could always skip the "modify the bezels" part and see how things go with the thicker black line in the display. But then the question is do I go with 120Hz tv's or with monitors? It looks like a 120Hz 32" television and a 60Hz 23" monitor are roughly the same price...not sure why, but that's what my amazon search is showing me.