nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave to Libra

MVM

to Libra

Re: Wireless icon shows No Internet", then shows "Inte

Turn off the wireless adapter's power saving setting to see if that will prevent it from sleeping during the hibernate.
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you. I don't know how to do that. Are those settings in the actiontec or in this notebook somewhere? If they're in the actiontec could you please direct me to the spot?

Sincerely, Libra

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

Those settings would be in your laptop. nothing to do with the router.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you. I'm looking at the power options but not finding anything about the wireless adapter yet.

Sincerely, Libra
Libra

Libra to nycdave

Premium Member

to nycdave
said by nycdave:

Turn off the wireless adapter's power saving setting to see if that will prevent it from sleeping during the hibernate.

It's still randomly showing No Internet Access. I just took it out of hybernate and it showed access and it just changed a minute or two later.

Should I re-enable the wireless adapter's power saving since it didn't help?

I don't like seeing the yellow ? but I'm told that sleep and hibernate cause networking problems. At least the Troubleshooters in all three computers don't show any network problems.

Sincerely, Libra
ajricaud
join:2002-02-04
91745-2638

ajricaud

You may as well re-enable it since it's not helping your situation; plus, it will decrease battery usage.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Re: Wireless icon shows No Internet NOW MY IP CHANGED ON ONE PC

Thank you. I will re-enable it when I get to the laptop.

I don't know if I should make a new thread about this.

I just did an ipconfig \all on all three computers. The laptop is new. We have it since December - it's IP is 192.168.1.45.

The Windows 7 64 bit desktop is 2 years old and it's IP is 192.168.1.46.

MY VISTA COMPUTER'S IP CHANGED! It's 3 or 4 years old. It's IP has always been 192.168.1.47. Now it is 192.168.1.2.

All of them show to have gotten a new lease which will expire in 2 days - WHY DID MY IP CHANGE and is this a problem??

Nothing ever changed with my DSL Westell modem, switch and Zxyel AP.

My printer is at IP 192.168.1.253 which wayjac See Profile told me to use so that it would not change. Westell never changed it, will I have a problem with this Actiontec?

I just tried and was able to use the printer.

I appreciate any advice.

Sincerely, Libra

RaininInDC
@dhs.gov

RaininInDC

Anon

Just an FYI,

I had a similar issues with a laptop of mine, believe it was a Dell or an Alienware. Anytime the thing would go to sleep or go power saving mode, the wireless card would drop and would have a hard time reconnecting. I ended up having to delete the Dell drivers for the card and was lucky to find drivers from the card manufacturer that work. I believe I had to delete something call DLAN or DWLAN.

Those power saver modes will sure dork up a system quickly. I even went into the system control panel to turn off power saving on the wireless card and it still caused issues until I got ride of the manufactured installed utility.

Good luck!
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra

Premium Member

Thank you. The only thing I've got in my favor is that even though it may say "no access" I still have access. I went to the lenovo drivers site but couldn't find any wireless drivers for my wireless adapter. (I have Broadcom which isn't listed).

I have some software called ReadyComm 5 - which has something to do with connecting to the internet. I don't use it. I think I'll remove it.
~~~~~~~
I have been using sleep on two ethernet connected computers for a few years and never had this networking problem. The wired computer I mentioned in the post above this one where the Actiontec changed the IP - yesterday showed Local internet connection and Internet connection. Today it shows as Network, Local Only, which is what it should be.

The laptop always went into sleep and hybernate without any of these networking problems either. I'm not knowledgeable with any of this, but I have to conclude it's the actiontec router.

I just hope I continue to be able to access the internet and my computers are not being compromised.

Sincerely, Libra
nxtiak
join:2008-08-06
Perris, CA

nxtiak

So have you tried another wifi router? At a friend's house, school, starbucks? See if it happens there?

If it doesn't, then yes may be the ActionTec, a quick stop at a Verizon FiOS store will get you a new one, or over the phone for a shipment.