uniqs
Nemesis158
CTL 1G Fiber
join:2012-09-15
Spokane, WA

Nemesis158 to d_l

to d_l

Re: [Qwest] Centurylink upgrades speeds, but service is horrible

As i had stated in my OP, the hardware of the node in question is Qwest's doing, Not CenturyLink's. I think there are probably similarities to how Qwest and AT&T operate their equipment, since both were formerly BellSouth. all the phone line marker signs in my area are marked with the Bell.
Following is a picture of the node setup for my area. The large Cabinet is the main box obviously, but the three small boxes in front are newer than the rest of the equipment, and i am unsure if they are even in use.

The last two graphs i interpret as the router's aggregation of available bandwidth to my connection, fluctuating because there isnt enough bandwidth for it.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Nemesis158:

I think there are probably similarities to how Qwest and AT&T operate their equipment, since both were formerly BellSouth.

Have some ...

Telco spaghetti!
Nemesis158
CTL 1G Fiber
Spokane, WA

Nemesis158

except that it was Bell Telephone before it was AT&T, hence why all the phone lines around my area are marked with ancient Bell signs. the lines that run to my house are 40-50 years old.....

retiredqwest
join:2005-04-01
Spokane, WA

retiredqwest to Nemesis158

to Nemesis158
Would you mind telling me where this is located?

I've never seen 3 remote cabinets that are used for ADSL and VDSL2+ at one location before! The light green box is the cross connect box, it should have an address on the road side of it. The tallest box is the remote pair gain for dialtone. It has a CLLI code that starts with 'SPKNWA.....' can't read all of it. The number below that might be the numeric address.

As far as your speed situation.... even if I was still working there I doubt I could help you. I turned up DSL in Spokane in the mid 90's when we used the Netspeed 675 and they defaulted in bridge mode. When I heard that PPPOE crap was coming I beat feet away as fast as I could. Fortunately some other projects came up for me to work on. Wow, that was almost 16 years ago.... altho I usually got calls from the other techs doing DSL.

More than likely there is some congestion or misconfiguration somewhere. Doing a traceroute might give you a clue as where to look for a problem. And as far as Qwest being shown in traceroutes, that may never change since Qwest was a long haul carrier before they bought USWEST.

And have you checked to see if higher speeds are available? Try both your address and phone number.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Nemesis158

MVM

to Nemesis158
It was the Bell Telephone Company from its founding on July 9, 1877 until its merger with the New England Telephone and Telegraph Company on Feb. 17, 1879. The merger produced the National Bell Telephone Company, with headquarters in Boston, MA, and the International Bell Telephone company, with headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. On March 20, 1880, the National Bell Telephone company entered further mergers to form the American Bell Telephone Company. On Dec. 30, 1899, the National Bell Telephone Company transferred its assets to a subsidiary called, American Telephone & Telegraph Company. At this point AT&T became the owner of the Bell System; including the Bell logo.

It appears that Sunset Telephone and Telegraph covered Washington in the later years of the 19th Century, but it isn't clear that they were a part of the Bell System prior to the 1917 acquisition by Bell's Pacific Telephone and Telegraph.
Nemesis158
CTL 1G Fiber
Spokane, WA

Nemesis158 to retiredqwest

to retiredqwest
the code on the main box is. SPKNWAU6112. the number below that is 12618S. if i look through the vent-space in the top of the small cabinets, an IP address can be seen. I tried pinging the address but it didn't get me anywhere. The box is located on Sherman road, just north of Washington road, zip 99224. here is a link to it in gmaps.
»maps.google.com/maps?q=4 ··· t=h&z=20

Qwest didnt offer any higher speeds on this node than 1.5, at least as far as they reported to Wabroadbandmapping.org

This boost in speed is only part of the FCCs mandate that Centurylink upgrade qwests old hardware to match their own offerings. According to the map on Wabroadbandmapping.org, mostly all of Qwests offering in my area were limited to 1.5, while CL at least provided higher speeds closer to the terminals.

Also, without them installing another DSLAM/Terminal closer to my house, the speed they have me connected at is probably as high as they can go on these old phone lines at the distance we are from the node.
Nemesis158

to retiredqwest
I guess posting Links or pictures not through the uploader makes the posts need approval before they appear. i submitted a post several hours ago to reply to this, to sum up the answer to your main question, the code on the box is SPKNWAU6112 and it is located at 12618 S Sherman Road, zip 99224. the letters underneath the code are its address

retiredqwest
Spokane, WA

to Nemesis158
I was almost going to guess down south of town.....

I checked a few addresses near the dslam and got 1.5 meg as the only speed. Which means there is no fiber there at all. So they must be all ADSL dslams, without looking inside them I can only guess how many ports they have.

Moran C.O. is at 57th and Regal, to give you an idea as to how far they would have to place fiber to that remote. I'm not all that familiar with down south, but I do know there are a lot of cables that go cross country rather than follow roads. I do know that cables leave Moran in NSEW routes. Hangman Valley area is fed via Palouse Highway then down Baltimore Rd.

To get to 12618 Sherman, the feed either comes across Gibbs Rd and then south or maybe across Paradise Rd and then north.

There is a remote pair gain near Paradise and Keeney Rd, that feeds a KJRB antenna site on E. Stutler Rd.

If you are truly fed out of 12618 Sherman then your chances of getting more than 1.5 meg are extremely slim unless they place fiber closer to you and a cross connect point and of course commercial power.

And the remote pair gain on Sherman is probably an old SLC-96 that cannot utilize fiber.... copper T1 only for the feed.

Since I don't have company intranet access I can't do anything else.
Nemesis158
CTL 1G Fiber
Spokane, WA

Nemesis158

Moran CO is where my Internet originates. i did some digging around along time ago and found that. from there my guess would have to be that there is a fiber line running down hatch to 195, then immediately turning off on White rd (or comes down the hill not following hatch, and crosses the highway). it follows white rd until it hits cedar road, and about 100ft down the road it goes into a larger DSLAM at 8101 S Cedar road. my guess would then be that it follows the T1 circuit down cedar until taylor or gibbs (gibbs more likely), then over to sherman and down to my terminal. that route makes the most sense
Nemesis158

to retiredqwest

area map
Ive made a little map here. this is the Wireline download map from Wabroadbandmapping.org, with markers of hardware and lines of cable routes.
red lines are known cable routes, while black and grey are the ones that are unknown, since they aren't marked any better.
I have to say that im 99% sure i am served by the sherman terminal, because NOANET and the Port of Whitman County were laying a fiber line down the road and they tore the whole copper carrier line for my whole neighborhood out of the ground just up the road along that dark red line. there are other terminals up on Cheney-Spokane road, but knowing that Moran CO is where my stuff comes from it just would make sense that the route doesn't follow those.

whats really odd is that centurylink reported to the site that they can serve 10-25 (most likely 12 or 15 max) across the street from me, and my phone line originates on the other side of the road. i dunno.......

retiredqwest
Spokane, WA

retiredqwest

I'll just say this, I'm not impressed by the accuracy of that website.....

Fiber west on 57th down Hatch and West on White would make more sense to get to Sherman. If you want grab some photos of the boxes at Cedar and White, I'm going to guess the large box on the field side is a Litespan 2000 which is only fiber fed.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to Nemesis158

to Nemesis158
Hi,

We would be happy to help with your questions on your service if you email us your information talktous@centurylink.com

Thanks,

Corey Tidwell
talktous@centurylink.com
Centurylink Help Team
Nemesis158
CTL 1G Fiber
Spokane, WA

to retiredqwest
Click for full size
The Terminal at White & cedar
here is a pic of the large terminal on cedar.
code on the main box is:
SPKNWA RPH01
RT S8223 CEDAR

it says Binford 2000 under the code/adress.

I was able to catch a guy working at this terminal when i went to town today, so i told him what was going on and he said he would check it out and see if i needed to be moved to another gateway/dslam

The large box on sherman says Northern Telecom on it.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Nemesis158:

The large box on sherman says Northern Telecom on it.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No ··· _Telecom

Equipment manufacturer.

retiredqwest
Spokane, WA

to Nemesis158
Binford 2000 is a local joke..... Tim the Tool Man....anyway.

At Cedar The big cabinet in the back is a Litespan 2000 fiber fed. And looks like the fiber stops there. On the right is a x-connect box. The light green cabinet street side is a splice chamber. And the vented cabinet is the ADSL cabinet fed with fiber. The white cabinet on the left looks like an old N1 analog carrier repeater. Don't know why that is still there.

At Sherman the RPG is a NT DSMUrban. The 3 other vented cabs are ALL ADSL fed from the Cedar Litespan via copper T1's. And they all have 8 T1 feeder capability, don't know if they are all active.

And at Keeney and Paradise is a SLC-96 with no ADSL cabinet.

So, at Sherman you might see if you can get someone to cut your DSL line to a different system since there are 3 of them there. And a outside tech has to redo the jumpers at the x-connect.

One thing I noticed is there is no VDSL2+ node at Cedar, which makes sense since 40M/5M only reaches out about 2000 wire feet from the node. I did some unscientific calculations on my neighborhood since I know the routes of the cabling. Each situation will vary because of cable gauging.

At Cedar I tried an address about 1000 ft south on Cedar Road and it came back 20M/896K. But what caught me off guard is it is ADSL. I only tried the one address since I'm not positive about the cable routing down there.
Nemesis158
CTL 1G Fiber
Spokane, WA

Nemesis158

what i don't quite get is why there is only one adsl cabinet at the cedar terminal and 3 at the Sherman terminal. is it dependent on what is feeding them?

Also, im not sure but i think the guy may have figured out what was going on, at least partially. im getting almost 3.3 on speetest at 1pm, and that's like unheard off. the samknows graph also started out much more consistent today. time will tell i guess.

retiredqwest
Spokane, WA

retiredqwest

said by Nemesis158:

what i don't quite get is why there is only one adsl cabinet at the cedar terminal and 3 at the Sherman terminal. is it dependent on what is feeding them?

Comcast provides service around Cedar and White. I don't know how far south they go. Supply and demand and there is always the ROI......

Nemesis158
CTL 1G Fiber
Spokane, WA

Nemesis158

well im not sure if it means anything, but on thursday morning our internet got disconnected, and reconnected a little while later. problem is, currently its stuck at 0.8mbit down / 0.6mbit up.
these values are the same as those we saw during the 4 days before it was upgraded. is this some kind of line test phase or is it just setup incorrectly?