uniqs

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

[Tech] What lens for jewelry photography?

Hi guys,

I have a Panasonic GH2 (MFT) and am trying to photograph jewelry. I have the lighting done and the camera is about 16" away.

My available lenses:

7-14mm
14-45mm
14-140mm
45-200mm
and an old Leica Summicron 1:2/50 with the required adapter

No matter what Panasonic lens I try I can't get the camera any closer than about 14" or the focus won't lock.

I'm kind of still used to my old FZ35 where macro photography was just turning the dial and mounting the camera really close to the subject but I'm determined to learn dslr so I only use the FZ35 for testing now.

Any thoughts/suggestions/tips? Thanks

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy

Premium Member

Re: [Lens] What lens for jewelry photography?

Unless your lenses have a macro or close focus setting, the 7-14mm probably has the shortest minimum focus, but it will also produce the most distortion. For what it's worth, my daughter, who designs her own jewelry, uses a 55mm Micro Nikkor on a DX body to photograph her work. If you're photographing jewelry on a regular basis you might want to consider investing in some more glass.

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

Thanks for replying!

I wouldn't even know what to get. I still don't understand lenses very well.

You say your daughter uses a 55mm lens, but I see that two of my lenses include that number but don't understand why they don't work.

I'm not sure how regularly I'll be doing it, but I still need to learn how to do it. These little exercises help me learn much more than just the exercise.

I do have one more lens but don't have the adapter yet - a Leitz Elmar f=5cm f:2.8. Would that work?

JTM1051
MVM
join:2000-07-08
Terrell, TX

JTM1051

MVM

said by Sweet Witch:

... I wouldn't even know what to get. I still don't understand lenses very well. ...

The following article may be of help:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macro_lens

When looking a lens specs, check the "Minimum Focus Distance", and "Magnification Ratio".

Note that the "Mininum Focus Distance" is the distance between the object and the front of sensor, not the distance between the obect and the front of the lens.

If you do not want to spend the money for a "Macro" lens, you may get by with getting "Close-up Filter".

BTW the "55mm Micro Nikkor" Stacy noted is a macro lens, Nikon uses "Micro" -- it's not a standard/normal 55mm lens.

tubelens
@tmodns.net

tubelens to Sweet Witch

Anon

to Sweet Witch
the suggestion for close lens like +3 etc is a simple inexpensive solution. anither is use of extension tubes of various lengths. all often available cheaply used.
the general rule for the tubes is that a simple lens extended by a distance equal to its focal length will get you to 1:1 . in other words you could extend your 50 mm lens farther from the camera by another 50 mm/ 2".

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

I've also read about reversing the lens. Have you ever tried that?

tubelens
@tmodns.net

tubelens to Sweet Witch

Anon

to Sweet Witch
your 5 cm lens is 50 mm. do any of your lenses focus close manually? reversing lenses is usually done for even higher magnifications, in the 5-10-20 x lifesize range and often with a bellows. for that u get a reversing ring that screws into the filter theads of the lens.

but back to simpler. let.s say you need a photo of a ring. the ring itself is larger than your sensor? so you dont even need to get to 1:1 lifesize on sensor. bracelets n necklaces are even bigger . the times you need 1:1 or more are when u want to show just an individual gem.

so try first the closeup filter lenses. to fake play try extension tubes just cut a 1" and 2" length of the cardboad inside a roll of paper towel or pvc pipe coupler from plumbing dept.

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

Jodokast96 to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch
Gemologist See Profile was a big fan of using a point and shoot with a set of Raynox for his gem photos (some in his Gallery I believe). Th reasoning was that the smaller sensors allowed far greater depth of field. Seein as you already have the FZ35, I would hesitate making the small investment in the Raynox. The worst thing that happens is that you maybe find they work better on one of your other lenses. I know you want to force yourself to using a DSLR, but in the end it's all about using the right tool for the job.

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

The Raynox are a bit more than I want to spend right now. I'm not doing this professionally so I'm trying to keep the costs down.

I bought a reversing adapter, some extension tubes and a rail system - just waiting for delivery now. My camera has a 2:1 ratio so the sensor is smaller than most dslrs. My old Kodak had a super-macro mode that I truly miss!

Where is Gemologist lately?

Jodokast96
Premium Member
NJ

Jodokast96

Premium Member

I've been wondering the same. But I don't have any contact info for him.
Expand your moderator at work

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium Member
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB

rcroning to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch

Re: [Lens] What lens for jewelry photography?

They are both acceptable spellings. We in Canada are supposed to speak, read and write what is the Queen's English but all our schools usually teach American English. Both forms are widely accepted here and has been for the longest time.

Besides, bringing this up here is way off-topic. Either help out, or don't. Personal opinions of this nature should be kept off a friendly forum.

I am Canadian and I speak English in all its forms!!

JRSlater
What's that smell? Oh, it's you.
Premium Member
join:2008-01-11
Out There

JRSlater to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch
I don't know if your particular camera would support this, but when I need to get closer to an image, I slap my extension tubes on and that allows me to get much closer to what I'm shooting. I don't recall how much they are, I've had them for awhile.

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

I've got a set on order but they haven't arrived yet.

JRSlater
Premium Member
Out There

JRSlater

Premium Member

I'll see if I can get Gemologist to post in here. He's had bad health for awhile so that could be why he's staying away.

Gemologist
Premium Member
join:2001-11-15
USA

3 recommendations

Gemologist to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch
Jeff dropped me a line.

All you really need for jewelry is a true macro lens, reflectors, and good diffused lighting. If you want the endless white background as most do and also best because colors or even black and gray can artificially enhance the colors of gemstones leading the client astray, shoot on white lexan or plexiglass. A light tent cube deal is going to be easiest way to get started bit in long run you'll find it to restrictive!

Solux PAR bulbs are fantastic. But you will want a set of Ott-Lite 6500K HD daylight cfl bulbs around as well for some of the different gemstones. As well as an incandescent temperature light for any color change pieces. For colorless high dispersion stones like diamonds white(not ones with blue cadts) led lights will help out. They make them in PAR style bulbs now.

FZ35 will likely be your better choice unless doing printed ads 1/4 Page or larger or prints larger than 8x10", then use your other.

But the real key is your lighting! For reflectors white lexan cut into squares does work great. Of course studio lighting is best solution. But the above suggestions are the affordable methods.

Yes, health has not been too good. What little time I've had has been devoted to Gemological things as just had work published by another Gemological Association. I'm working on a huge project as well. I just concluded a big research project into micro crystal inclusions in Welo opal matrix and a lot of micrography, I will post it later for anyone interested. Between that and loading competition rounds for 9mm, 40S&W, and 223/5.56 and practicing, and cutting gemstones, just not been online much. My apologies.

Jodokast96
Premium Member
NJ

1 recommendation

Jodokast96

Premium Member

Good to see you back, even if only for a bit.

JRSlater
Premium Member
Out There

1 recommendation

JRSlater to Gemologist

Premium Member

to Gemologist
said by Gemologist:

Yes, health has not been too good. What little time I've had has been devoted to Gemological things as just had work published by another Gemological Association. I'm working on a huge project as well. I just concluded a big research project into micro crystal inclusions in Welo opal matrix and a lot of micrography, I will post it later for anyone interested. Between that and loading competition rounds for 9mm, 40S&W, and 223/5.56 and practicing, and cutting gemstones, just not been online much. My apologies.

No need to appologize, you take care of yourself first. Glad to hear your keeping busy.