Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to westy

Re: [BC] Wynndel / Creston BC

As long as it is good cable, it would definately require less time when the install happens.

If you wire your house with poor cable, it would have to be re-done at that time.

Also the cost of you paying for the cable and time, vs Shaw paying for the cable and the installer's time.

If you are thinking about this, be sure to use RG-6 or better cable, run all your cables to a central location (electrical room for example), and let Shaw supply the splitters.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

westy

join:2006-08-10
Creston, BC

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
Yes, but I would get the ends replaced with Compression Connectors instead.

Couple 500' RG-6 Quad Shield spools from Home Depot, a coaxial stripper, compression tool, container of compression ends, and a small pair of side cutters.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

TiberiusX
Premium
join:2011-01-05
Edmonton, AB
reply to westy
Westy, that stuff could probably work, but obviously limits you to runs of less than 100'. This keeps any splitters in a central and easy to access location. While you could use a coupler to add another one and thus extend the distance to 200', I would recommend against that. It would add another point in which interference can leak in and creates a bulkier cable which can be difficult to work with if running through walls.

Personally I would pickup a spool, crimper, and some ends and run it myself. That way I would have each of the runs be the ideal distance with some slack at the central location for mounting options. Put a matching face-plate on the wall at each location in the house for that professionally installed look. Two other items I would recommend; Labels and multiple runs. Labels make it that much easier when install time comes around, or when you would like to move or add equipment. Multiple runs give you the flexibility to run multiple feeds to/from each location, say feeding a spare TV in another room from the main cable/sat box.

Tiberius

westy

join:2006-08-10
Creston, BC
any word on if set-ups are taking place in wynndel yet?