Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Higher DSL speeds?

Click for full size
Hey guys,

This already seems like a case of a FiOS connection being mis-labeled as a DSL connection, but let's see what we can get out of here.

Recently Black Mesa (a Half-Life 2/Source engine modification) came out and as a result, they have released an official Torrent which I downloaded to get the game data and also to give back as a thanks for the mod. So, naturally I'm seeding and tonight while gazing at the client, I saw a connection labeled "dsl-w" in the Dallas/Fort Worth area downloading at a rate of nearly 3MB/s. From what I know, Verizon's top speed on ADSL2 maxes at 15Mbps which exchanges to about 1.7-1.8MB/s under saturation. This person was downloading at 2.8-2.7MB/s which would be spot on for someone running a 22-24Mbps ADSL2+ connection, but this almost seems like a FiOS connection. While the screenshot doesn't show the full speed they've been pulling from me, it has been sustaining itself at 88KB/s during times where no other peers are requesting data from me (I only allow 1 upload slot too unless my rate is below my set limit).

If it's not, is this a sign of what may be coming? It's already well known that Verizon is planning to shutter the DSL Network as time goes on, in favor of LTE (which is on every tower out here now), and FiOS if available.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9

It's just a DHCP pool previously used for DSL, now being used for FIOS. I've seen it happen many times.

And you are correct, Verizon wants to rid itself of everything copper, including DSL.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 edit

Smith6612

MVM

Thought so. Seems they re-assign the IPs to different systems but don't change the rDNS right away.

Verizon just turned up LTE in this area where before it was spotty at my home, so I hope that they complete their FiOS build-out where I am before they decide to shut off DSL which is already running at 5M/768k at the moment and still running well. I won't be going to LTE for my Internet when they do!

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to Smith6612

Premium Member

to Smith6612
a few thoughts out loud:
1) verizon would like to dump the fiber too if they could but they already invested in it however they don't want to build it out anymore then what is already contracted .
2) For areas that will never see fiber bonded pairs could have helped DSL but verizon is not interested in investing in such.
3) LTE is nice however is not very useful with low usage caps. I would rather have a slow 1 mb DSL connection then a capped super fast LTE connection.
4) If and when the copper plant does get abandoned / shut down there becomes the question of what to do with the copper that's hanging on the poles. Add to this abandoned copper drops going into many homes that have "migrated" to fiber. Scrapping the copper down from the poles will not be easy. The fiber plant was lashed right around the existing copper plant using the same guy / messenger support(s). Unless a big storm hits and pulls all down that copper will be up there for the foreseeable future even if no longer used.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

You make some good points norbert. It's probably a part of the reason why after Ivan left, or announced he was leaving why the idea of FiOS pretty much died off. But, now that it's built they have to use it for the reason it was intended. Bonded ADSL2 pairs would be great and if their DSLAMs are worth a good amount they could probably turn it on overnight, but with the majority of ADSL gear out there (especially old gear!) it's obviously going to be an investment.

With the way HomeFusion is priced, it's the reason why I'd rather keep my 1M/384k service with DSL (yeah, I know my speed is higher >> ). From my own experience with LTE, the DSL remains consistent, just gives better latency and of course, doesn't have those data limits.

I do myself wonder what the copper plant will be used for when it is retired and shut off completely (when the feds allow that). Copper thieves will certainly make bank on it if Verizon won't take it down and scrap it.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

1 edit

batterup to Smith6612

Premium Member

to Smith6612
For information only because you guys are OK.

I have the super duper DSL "Internet Advanced Plus". I should not have this speed as I'm too far away. I got optimized to 11790 meg.

At night my S/N falls as low as 3.9 so I drop often. I'll probably get cut back.

The other side of the coin is Verizon upgraded a tower to 4G on a mountain, NJ mountain anyway, about 10 miles from me as the crow flies. At night I get a 4G two bar single if I go to a north facing window.

So the 4G must be attacking my DSL at night.

If the leeches didn't want a free rind I would have FiOS. NP Google will give you free anything as long as they make money and don't have to buy the mayor a swimming pool.

This is dumb but I could live in Slobovia.
batterup

batterup to Smith6612

Premium Member

to Smith6612
I assume DSL is boring.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Lol, yes. A lot of people think of DSL as old telephone lines. Wireless is like the new space age of communications so to speak; users are fascinated in it but are also aware of the consequences. Such as this:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· dk8&hd=1

The location where I recorded that at, by the way, is seeing close to 800+ devices across just 32 access points. The Wireless network has gotten so bad to the point where it can no longer give reasonable speeds most of the time. Some of the APs will no longer let users on them, and some of the APs can't give anything more than dial-up speeds. During the early morning hours, speeds are shaky on the bad APs. I haven't been there in ages, but I know the place had no place to plug into a wired connection.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup to Smith6612

Premium Member

to Smith6612
Well I have been without power for 62 hours. I have a generator good for 1900 whats. I had CATV for about 6 hours. I had DSL for 20 hours. T-Mobil and at&t cell I get no signal. My Verizon land line is still working and my 4G modem is working. I'm already 1/2 way through my 5 Gig limit though.
MARK4386m1
join:2011-06-22

MARK4386m1 to rebus9

to rebus9
If there going to be shuttering all copper and dsl customers they better have fios to replace it if not there asking for war

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9

said by MARK4386m1:

If there going to be shuttering all copper and dsl customers they better have fios to replace it if not there asking for war

Yeah, but it's a war they can certainly $afford to fight.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to MARK4386m1

Premium Member

to MARK4386m1
said by MARK4386m1:

War with who? Here in Texas, the PUC has ZERO interest in the DSL side of Verizon's business. That makes it pretty difficult to exert any type of pressure on the V.
MARK4386m1
join:2011-06-22

MARK4386m1 to Smith6612

to Smith6612
When I say war I mean Lawsuits
Expand your moderator at work