join:2009-12-18
Burlington, ON

MXB to InvalidError

to InvalidError

Re: [DSL] 2 MB missing?

said by InvalidError:

said by Mark2001 :

Any reason 2 MB was discontinued?

The wholesale Bell rates for 640k/512k, 2M/800k and 6M/800k are all $14.70/month so there is not much point in ISPs splitting hairs.

Too bad I can't buy wholesale. So the 6 MB is a moneygrab/gouge by teksavvy. Good to know...

Crowbar10
join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

Crowbar10

said by MXB:

Too bad I can't buy wholesale. So the 6 MB is a moneygrab/gouge by teksavvy. Good to know...

HUH , how is it a moneygrab .....?
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to MXB

to MXB
said by MXB:

Too bad I can't buy wholesale.

Wholesale legacy-GAS access at $14.70/month is useless without AHSSPI ($1750/port/month), CBB ($22500/Gbps/month), internet transit and a handful of other tariffed and support components needed to have working internet service, network admins, support staff, etc.

The Bell legacy-GAS port fee is the biggest single item in TSI's (or any other GAS ISP) per-subscriber costs but are far from being the only thing ISPs have to cover with their $25-35/month rates on mainstream plans.

On a subscriber paying $30/month, TSI's margin after Bell costs (what they have left to cover all non-Bell costs and profit) is on average under $7 per subscriber. Offering a 2Mbps plan for $2/month would directly cut into TSI's margin without reducing TSI's costs in any meaningful way.
said by MXB:

So the 6 MB is a moneygrab/gouge by teksavvy. Good to know...

Most other GAS ISPs have also given up on offering 640/512 and 2M/800 tiers, likely for the very same reason. Profit margins are already very thin, there is no point making them thinner still by offering an artificially lower priced service that costs practically the same to provide.

EdT
join:2009-06-12
Saint-Laurent, QC

EdT to Crowbar10

to Crowbar10
Its a money grab if x% of the population's lines cannot handle speeds faster than 5Mb/s, so you have many that are paying for 6Mb/s profile while receiving only 3Mb/s due to something that is out of their control to fix ! I see ISP only increasing their speeds and monthly cost in the coming future while no one is forcing the telco to improve their infrastructure !

Taylortbb
Premium Member
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON

Taylortbb to MXB

Premium Member

to MXB
said by MXB:

said by InvalidError:

said by Mark2001 :

Any reason 2 MB was discontinued?

The wholesale Bell rates for 640k/512k, 2M/800k and 6M/800k are all $14.70/month so there is not much point in ISPs splitting hairs.

TekSavvy isn't a reseller. That wholesale price is for the connection from your house to downtown Toronto. If you want actually access websites you need internet access, that's what TekSavvy does. The wholesale is like a leased line, it doesn't include any internet access. TekSavvy in addition to paying for the internet access also has to pay for call centre staff, routing equipment, servers for DNS/email/etc, and more.