join:2012-09-17
Sharon, ON

donnie66

[Exede] speedtest.net results always high compared to speed DL f

Also ...
donnie66

donnie66

Re: [Exede] speedtest.net results always high compared to speed

Ive got exede 5gb plan. Just had it a couple weeks.

Ive tried speedtest.net and a few other speed test sites. They all show around 1.5mbs to 1.8 mbs DL speeds. Done the test many times and always in that area.

However when I DL a real file from my office ftp or any real file I only get 330kbs or so. When I say real file I mean not through a test. If I DL multiple files that 330 limit is split between those files. So there is a max rate of 330kbs for me.

So why does the speedtest.net type websites show something very close to my plan DL limit of 2mbs rather than 0.3mbs?

any help/info appreciated.
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

Here is Xplornet Communications Inc's Traffic Management Policy, but I am not familiar with providers up in Sharon, Ontario area.

»www.xplornet.com/traffic ··· htv-itmp
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar to donnie66

to donnie66
That is because speed test sites convert that number from KB/s to Mb/s. Mb/s and MB/s which you are refering too are 2 different things. To do your own conversion to get your line speed you take your actual download speed times 8 and move the decimal point left 3 spaces. example: 330KB/s x 8 = 2640 now move the decimal left three spaces and you get 2.640 or just 2.6 Mb/s advertised line speed. This is the conversion isp's use so it is also the conversion test sites use. In other wordsa viasat's 12 Mb/s advertised speed will download at approx. 1500 KB or 1.5 MB/s.
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

said by zeddlar:

In other wordsa viasat's 12 Mb/s advertised speed will

He is Canadian....