Third party adapters on amazon

»9to5mac.com/2012/09/16/f ··· -for-18/

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

I would be very suspicious of those adapters as that first one doesn't really have any room for the required ADCs, serial to USB converters, etc. most likely only good for charging and USB syncing.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig

MVM

said by Thinkdiff:

I would be very suspicious of those adapters as that first one doesn't really have any room for the required ADCs, serial to USB converters, etc. most likely only good for charging and USB syncing.

I have used the cheap chinese knock-off adapters (usb to 30 pin, Thunderbold, etc, etc) with NO (ZERO) issues.

I have already ordered some of these

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

This is different. The adapter needs to have active components inside that convert the all digital lightning port to the mostly analog 30-pin connector signals. Just giving everybody a fair warning.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig

MVM

said by Thinkdiff:

This is different. The adapter needs to have active components inside that convert the all digital lightning port to the mostly analog 30-pin connector signals. Just giving everybody a fair warning.

The 'knock off' thunderbolt adapter I use on my Imac (paid 5$) does digital conversion - why would that be an issue??

how do you say - reverse engineering??

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

The thunderbolt cable does have active components, but its not really the same. It's also a documented Intel standard.

The pictures of that cable don't even look to have enough space to fit everything (I don't think apple made their adapter huge as a design choice).

Like I said... Just giving everybody fair warning as they may not know exactly what goes into this adapter. Most people think its just a box of wires that Apple hughly overcharges for. If you want to take the risk of ordering a cable that nobody has even seen before, go ahead. It may work great. It may not. That's my point.

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy to dellsweig

Premium Member

to dellsweig
said by dellsweig:

This article doesn't bode well for 3rd party Lightning adapters: »www.engadget.com/2012/09 ··· nnector/

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by BellBoy:

said by dellsweig:

This article doesn't bode well for 3rd party Lightning adapters: »www.engadget.com/2012/09 ··· nnector/

Just another reason for me to avoid the 5.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by Nezmo:

said by BellBoy:

said by dellsweig:

Yup. Ridiculous.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to Nezmo

Premium Member

to Nezmo
said by Nezmo:

said by BellBoy:

said by dellsweig:

the iPhone would be fine to a person that will just use the supplied out of the box cable and had no legacy 30 pin docks or the like. Those of us squatting on older 4's and who have 30 pin docks may be better off waiting for the market to have 3rd party docks that use the new connector. Trying to use the lightning to 30 pin adopter on a legacy dock will mean another piece to fiddle with which will be a PITA when docking and undocking and not be very stable either.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig to ptrowski

MVM

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

Yup. Ridiculous.

Got my IP5 just now - you wont ay you will avoid it once you hold it.. It is a pretty awsome piece of engineering and design work.

WELL worth the hassles of upgrading some cables.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

It may be, but spending another $30 a piece on 4 adapters raises the price to $520 to start, it's just not worth it. I will wait and see what happens.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig

MVM

said by ptrowski:

It may be, but spending another $30 a piece on 4 adapters raises the price to $520 to start, it's just not worth it. I will wait and see what happens.

$19 for the cable, 30 for the adapter....

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Ok, so in theory 5 cables (forgot one in the car) and an adapter for the radio I have. And an extra adapter for the cable that came with my receiver. Just too much money. The adapter to go with the radio would make the phone sit ridiculously high.
Trust me I like getting new phones, etc, but this one just doesn't make sense.

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium Member
join:2000-12-14
Uranus

Homunculus to Nezmo

Premium Member

to Nezmo
said by Nezmo:

said by BellBoy:

said by dellsweig:

And the 5S/6/6S/7/7S/8/8S and all future iPods...

Apple has changed adapters on a few occasions... remember when the original iPad was a plain USB plug, and then Apple came out with the 30-pin adapter? I don't remember hearing so much fuss. Of course, there was no iPhone back then. Even so, technology advancements happen. It's part of the game. Should we be using SCSI on all our toys still?

The Lightening plug is great. It's smaller, and can be plugged in regardless of orientation. I hate the one-way-only function of the 30-pin plug.

RiseAbove
Premium Member
join:2004-01-30

RiseAbove

Premium Member

said by Homunculus:

Apple has changed adapters on a few occasions... remember when the original iPad was a plain USB plug, and then Apple came out with the 30-pin adapter? I don't remember hearing so much fuss. Of course, there was no iPhone back then. Even so, technology advancements happen. It's part of the game. Should we be using SCSI on all our toys still?

The Lightening plug is great. It's smaller, and can be plugged in regardless of orientation. I hate the one-way-only function of the 30-pin plug.

what fantasy world do you live in? When did Apple ever not use the 30 pin connector on an iPad they released to the public? They have always backed the 30 pin connector and it's been on everything.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

I think his memory is a bit ... foggy.

He probably meant iPod.. and.. Firewire. (Apple never made a portable device with only a USB port)

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to Homunculus

MVM

to Homunculus
said by Homunculus:

And when the adapters become more affordable and less of a rape to get one I may consider an iP5. Or perhaps I'll wait longer. Fact remains, right now it's an expensive deal to get the iP5 to work with those things that are wired in my little world. Many things are wireless of course and I use Wi-Fi, AirPlay and BT whenever possible but some things like my car still insist on a cable for music/audio from my phone. Apple can take a hike on the $30 adapter.

I have said in other threads regarding the adapter/iP5 that I understand things change. My beef is with the royal shafting we are getting on these cables and adapters.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26

Premium Member

I'm sure Apple must have taken into consideration that the change to the lightning port / cable would hold some back from updating / upgrading hardware. Add to this the flood of 30 pin accessories still on the market / hitting the market. Besides the cables / docks / adopter issue there are new case needed issues but that is another thread issue. Point being summed up is no matter how great the IP5 is its not a clean cut upgrade UNLESS this is ones first iPhone and you have no legacy hardware to deal with. The 30 pin to lightning adopter would be fine for a dedicated iPod that is used on a legacy dock provided it fits the dock as long as the iPod does not have to undocked too often. However the adopter is not going to practical on a phone that must be docked / undocked at least once daily and with multiple docks like home and office. IP5 will need new long term solutions and time for these solutions to come to market. Again for those that use the phone as stand alone with the supplied cable and can use blue tooth solutions / wi-fi solutions there will be no issue.