New York, NY
kudos:1

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns: Part 1

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTvzawbN_NQ

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

Part 1? So will this get to a good part and then end with "To be continued"?

I don't like the Batman voice, I don't care for these DC animated films for this reason, they like to get "names" to do voices for them, even if they don't really fit.

Will I rent it? Hell yeah! Will I BUY it? Only if I like the rental. lol

Tenar

join:2008-01-02
Midland, ON
reply to Octavean

That comic was cool I will be checking out this movie.

LucasLee

join:2010-11-26

1 recommendation

apparently Peter Weller of Robocop fame is doing the voice of the bat. and anyone that knows anything, knows Kevin Conroy is the voice of Batman

MikeJrod

join:2001-03-14
Milwaukee, WI

I watched this over the weekend. Very well done. Stays pretty true to the comic. I wasn't in love with some of the choices for the voice actors, but it worked and is well worth watching.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Octavean

Saw it last night. Don't like seeing Batman old, but it was okay...

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

1 recommendation

I liked old Batman. In Batman Beyond, and in the book Kingdom Come.

Varlik
Without Honor You Will Never Be Free
Premium
join:2002-01-06
Anderson, SC
reply to Octavean

Just amazing as an old fart I never thought I'd see the day that they would make a classic like Frank Millers the Dark Knight Returns into an animated feature.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Octavean

Was hopeful when I saw the DCAU Bruce. Doubly so when it sounded like a Batman Beyond launch. Then the voice came in and the 80s Robin...damn it.

Another movie to wait for on Netflix, I guess.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=PETk8eBbfN0

And this is the old Bruce I loved.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

said by Thaler:

Another movie to wait for on Netflix, I guess.

Go fish,……

When I made the first post of this thread I searched for it on Netflix. The result was the typical auto complete before I finished typing in “Batman: The Dark Knight Returns: Part 1”. Netflix has a great search engine and since it auto completed I thought it would find it no problem but no dice.

I searched today and it was at the top of the results list so I added it but it made me recall something. Netflix has apparently agreed to delay search results for new movies and or the ability to add them to your queue in addition to the other delays they agreed to for physical discs / movies.

In other words Netflix has further agreed to marginalize themselves.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Octavean

Any word on when Part 2 is slated to be released?

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

1 recommendation

said by Alpha Phoenix:

Any word on when Part 2 is slated to be released?

Part 1 of this 2 part animated film was released on DVD/Blu-Ray September 25, 2012. Part 2 will be released in 2013

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to Octavean

said by Octavean:

[

When I made the first post of this thread I searched for it on Netflix. The result was the typical auto complete before I finished typing in “Batman: The Dark Knight Returns: Part 1”. Netflix has a great search engine and since it auto completed I thought it would find it no problem but no dice.

I searched today and it was at the top of the results list so I added it but it made me recall something. Netflix has apparently agreed to delay search results for new movies and or the ability to add them to your queue in addition to the other delays they agreed to for physical discs / movies.

Why wait for Netflix?
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

said by Boricua:

said by Octavean:

[

Why wait for Netflix?

I dont have to wait for Netflix, I could get it from iTunes for example which was the place I first came accross it.

However, if you are suggesting downloading from torrents or the like, I do not engage in such activities. Generally speaking I don’t really care if others do but I don’t. I can wait until I can acquire it in a way that meets my standards or I can completely pass on it. I consider it an issue of discipline and self control.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Boricua

Not interested enough to buy it, don't care enough to pirate it. Thus, Netflix.

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA
reply to Octavean

This movie stayed true to the original source material that Frank Miller made with the graphic novel. I still own the original version and have to admit, this movie was fantastic.
I do agree, Peter Weller would not be my 1st choice for Batman, however he adtually does pull it off.
By far one of the best Batman animated movies I have seen in a very long time.

Part 2 will be out in the Winter of 2013 according to the end of the movie.
--
Getting it Done.

Forhad

join:2012-10-03
Toronto, ON
reply to Octavean

I've always been a huge fan of batman. So i cant wait for this one too!

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Octavean

I finally got a chance to see this and really enjoyed it. Great stuff.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to LucasLee

said by LucasLee:

apparently Peter Weller of Robocop fame is doing the voice of the bat. and anyone that knows anything, knows Kevin Conroy is the voice of Batman

+1, the guy is just awesome for that role. So much so that it's a disappointment when anyone else does Batman's voice. Same thing applies for Mark Hamill doing the Joker.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

Same, but hey, John DiMaggio did a pretty good whack at it.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqOFl93sHno

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

1 recommendation

reply to Octavean

Just bought this on Amazon, and you get a free rental of it when you buy it so you can watch it right away....

AWESOME!!!! Voices aside, this was a far, far, darker Batman, and I now can't wait for #2. I'm happy I bought it, as I know I'll watch it again.

Though one thing that was kinda funny/odd/make-you-go-huh?

Bat-tank? Seriously, like you couldn't follow that thing back to the cave! Kinda hard to miss it! Sheesh.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Octavean

After seeing “Batman: The Dark Knight Returns: Part 1” I now realize how much “The Dark Knight Rises” seems to barrow from the common original work.

One scene that was in both movies was Batman’s strafing bullet dodging move from left to right in the shadows,….where he is only seen from muzzle flash.

Having said that, given that “Batman: The Dark Knight Returns: Part 1” attempted to be faithful to the original work and succeeds in doing so, I’ll give it the nod over “The Dark Knight Rises”. I also think Christian Bale’s voice acting as the Bat was almost laughable and barely intelligible,…. Tom Hardy as Bane in terms of voice acting wasn’t much better IMO as it just seemed wrong for the character. A visually stunning and well done movie overall though,…

So I think Peter Weller did a very good job comparatively speaking,…

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Octavean

Part 2 is now out!

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Good to know thanks. I just added it to my Netflix Queue,...

MikeJrod

join:2001-03-14
Milwaukee, WI

Just watched Part 2. Worth the wait. Really well done; stuck to the graphic novel as closely as I think any retelling in a different media can do. I watched both parts back to back, which made it even more fun to watch.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

1 edit
reply to Octavean

I just looked for this on Netflix and was unable to find it. We have Netflix streaming only.

I guess I could look at the blockbuster/dish site and see if they have the disk.
Blockbuster/dish have both disks. They are now in my queue.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

beavercable
Premium
join:2008-05-11
Beaverton, OR
reply to Octavean

Part 2 was epic.