Premium
join:2004-12-10
Lorton, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Bright House

1 recommendation

Before some says "The Value is in Bundles!"

I'd like to offer that there are plenty of folks who buy just broadband. There's no meaningful reason to marginalize us.

That said, I can currently get Vz 130/65 for ~$105 (standalone, no contract) - a reasonable price for that tier.

Maybe we'll settle into a scenario where Cable serves the lowest income brackets and Vz sells to everyone else.
That's not really competition but it's somewhat better than the duopoly-lock that the FCC considers competitive.
--
Campaign contributions influence laws through a process called bribery.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

said by Noah Vail:

I'd like to offer that there are plenty of folks who buy just broadband. There's no meaningful reason to marginalize us.

It's a greater ROI from their perspective for the same amount of capital investment. That fiber drop costs them the same amount of money regardless of whether you use it for one service or three. When you use it for multiple services they gain additional revenue that can be used both to maintain/expand the network and keep their investors happy.

Personally, I don't think they should be able to compel bundling (as they are doing with DSL/POTS), but there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to charge more for unbundled services. It sucks, but they have the right to maximize their ROI, the same as any other private enterprise.