Search similar:

uniqs
Jumbalaya5
join:2012-09-05
Lisle, IL

Jumbalaya5

Cellular vinyl mailbox post

Any opinions on durability or looks?

There are several companies that make these, some are sleeves over 4x4s and some are solid vinyl posts. I'm leaning towards a solid vinyl for maintenance reasons.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

In terms of looks, I can't imagine a difference between solid vinyl and vinyl sleeve. The exterior would be identical.

If solid vinyl is 2x the price of sleeved 4x4, then I'd go with sleeved 4x4.

If the sleeved vinyl gives me 4 years and solid vinyl gives me 8 years, we'd think it's break even, but the external aesthetics will come into play. In 4 years, both will look identical (Sun bleached, scratched, stained). But when you replaced the sleeved post, it will look brand new, while with solid vinyl, you'd need to continue on another 4 years with a not-new appearance that gets worse.

However I don't think sleeved vinyl posts require much maintenance if you seal it properly.
Jumbalaya5
Lisle, IL

Jumbalaya5

That's what I'm struggling with. The solid vinyl is about 33% more, but I don't have to worry about the post rotting. On the other hand, posts don't rot away that frequently anyway.

You think 4 years is about all one can expect in terms of aesthetics? The place gives a 25 year warranty, but if it gets ugly in 4, what's the point . . .

Okay, some thinking to do. Thanks.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Jumbalaya5:

You think 4 years is about all one can expect in terms of aesthetics? The place gives a 25 year warranty, but if it gets ugly in 4, what's the point . . .

Well, if appearance is important to you, then you'd probably want it sleeved. It's easier to replace a sleeve and keep the post. Like everything else, it can wash out over the years depending on the sun exposure and other elements.

Vinyl doesn't rot, but unlike wood, you can't sand it down and paint it again.

Maybe use treated lumber for the post inside the sleeve (If it's a possibility).

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

Maybe use treated lumber for the post inside the sleeve (If it's a possibility).

That's how it's done and I highly doubt that the vinyl sleeve will deteriorate in 4, 8, 12 or 20 years.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Coma:

I highly doubt that the vinyl sleeve will deteriorate in 4, 8, 12 or 20 years.

I didn't say "deteriorate". I was talking about the appearance. Over the years, it can get scratched, stained, cracked, etc. And then you'd want to replace for aesthetics reasons. Considering it's for a mail box, it might even get bumped into by cars and snow trucks. So better not invest more money in durability vs. the elements when it is more likely that it will get trashed/broken/damaged physically before it ever "deteriorates".

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

Krylon plastic paint

mitchell
join:2002-06-21
Darlington, SC

mitchell to Jumbalaya5

to Jumbalaya5
»www2.nbc26.tv/mgmedia/im ··· mailbox/

I suggest the sleeved 4x4 for heat...

sempergoofy
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy to Jumbalaya5

Premium Member

to Jumbalaya5
Not Cellular vinyl, but I replaced our mailbox over 10 years ago with a Rubbermaid black mailbox and post. Very durable. Still going strong. Their design was an "el" shapped metal stake in the ground to which the post is attached through a base bracket that fits in the hollow square post. Ugly, but durable.
Jumbalaya5
Lisle, IL

Jumbalaya5

said by sempergoofy:

Not Cellular vinyl, but I replaced our mailbox over 10 years ago with a Rubbermaid black mailbox and post. Very durable. Still going strong. Their design was an "el" shapped metal stake in the ground to which the post is attached through a base bracket that fits in the hollow square post. Ugly, but durable.

Right now we have an old cedar mailbox on a post that's leaning. We're getting some hardscaping work done and the contractors will install a new post in concrete.

I know the kind of mailbox you're talking about. They are very durable. You see everyone else's mailbox/posts come and go, but the plastic ones stick around for a long time.
said by alkizmo:

I didn't say "deteriorate". I was talking about the appearance. Over the years, it can get scratched, stained, cracked, etc. And then you'd want to replace for aesthetics reasons. Considering it's for a mail box, it might even get bumped into by cars and snow trucks. So better not invest more money in durability vs. the elements when it is more likely that it will get trashed/broken/damaged physically before it ever "deteriorates".

The snow truck thing is one of the more bothersome things. The city won't pay to replace more than a treated 4x4 and support. I have no faith that those guys won't knock down the mailbox. At least with the sleeve type the 4x4 can be replaced and you're basically good to go. The full vinyl one would snap and then you're left with a hurting wallet.
said by mitchell:

»www2.nbc26.tv/mgmedia/im ··· mailbox/

I suggest the sleeved 4x4 for heat...

Scary but hilarious.

Anyway, I talked it over with the wife and I got clear orders from her as to what I need to get. I wish she'd just told me from the start rather than making me think that I had some say or opinion in this whole thing.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Jumbalaya5:

Anyway, I talked it over with the wife and I got clear orders from her as to what I need to get. I wish she'd just told me from the start rather than making me think that I had some say or opinion in this whole thing.

I hope she didn't choose solid vinyl (Women should only have imput for aesthetics, but when both choices are equal on that point, then the gloves come off!)
Jumbalaya5
Lisle, IL

Jumbalaya5

Hah, she did choose solid vinyl. But based on looks, since it had a slightly different appearance than the sleeved one. Not that big of a difference in my opinion, but I think she's got her mind settled on it.

Annoying, but it's not a battle I'm willing to fight. I'd lose anyway . . .

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

show her the melted vinyl post picture.
slcpd6469
join:2003-09-25
Saint Louis, MO

slcpd6469 to Jumbalaya5

to Jumbalaya5
Click for full size
Here is an all vinyl post after the heat wave of 2012. I helped a friend put this in around March of this year and then take it out in August. Believe it or not the mail lady delivered right before the picture was taken. She did however leave a nasty-gram along with the mail. I would not recommend getting this model.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Obviously the weight of the bills overloaded it and caused this.

pferrie3
join:2005-01-27
Boston, MA

pferrie3 to Jumbalaya5

to Jumbalaya5
if your that worried about snow and cars and such .. dig a hole and put in a reinforced concrete crash post with a flat top and a bolt.. the snow plow would have to run it over to knock it down

like that but smooth and not as big around ..
Jumbalaya5
Lisle, IL

Jumbalaya5

said by pferrie3:

if your that worried about snow and cars and such .. dig a hole and put in a reinforced concrete crash post with a flat top and a bolt.. the snow plow would have to run it over to knock it down

like that but smooth and not as big around ..

Those are very illegal in our city. But I'd like to put something like that in.
said by slcpd6469:

Here is an all vinyl post after the heat wave of 2012. I helped a friend put this in around March of this year and then take it out in August. Believe it or not the mail lady delivered right before the picture was taken. She did however leave a nasty-gram along with the mail. I would not recommend getting this model.

Hopefully the solid cellular vinyl handles heat better. That's crazy to have a mailbox post melt like that. I'd definitely make a warranty claim on something like that.

pferrie3
Boston, MA

pferrie3

so put one in then cover it with the vinyl sleeve only you and the concrete man will know till someone runs it over
Jumbalaya5
Lisle, IL

Jumbalaya5

And then once it happens, I'll get the crap fined out of me. lol

JAAulde
Web Developer
MVM
join:2001-05-09
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB6141
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

JAAulde to Jumbalaya5

MVM

to Jumbalaya5
I hate how the plastic/vinyl ones look, even when brand new--let alone when sunbaked, dirty, and beat to hell. My personal preference: »Re: %$^%#% - Mail box post rotted out / fellover / was knocked

As I said in that thread, I have stability and modularity. Not to mention it fits my personal preferences aesthetically.

pferrie3
Boston, MA

pferrie3 to Jumbalaya5

to Jumbalaya5
tell them its Petrified wood .. that's why its hard as a rock ( get it )...thank you, thank you, ill be here all day.
AndrewG2
join:2006-01-20
Niagara Falls, ON

AndrewG2 to Jumbalaya5

to Jumbalaya5
Personally, if force of snow shoved off the road is an issue, I'd go for a round post, I'm thinking it will have less resistance to flow than a square one, and given equivalent CSA, should hold up better.

Won't hold up to a snowplow smacking it dead on any better though.

When vinyl goes chalky looking you can hit it with a cutting/polishing compound to cut the dead surface off. Brasso and some types of metal polishes work (watch the solvents) and auto stores should have a cutting paste for paintwork.
Jumbalaya5
Lisle, IL

Jumbalaya5 to JAAulde

to JAAulde
For as much as it costs, it better stay nice looking for a while.

pferrie3
Boston, MA

pferrie3 to Jumbalaya5

to Jumbalaya5
another idea get a round treated wooden post about 6" in diameter. then spray on rhino line It ..kinda like the back of a pickup »liners.rhinolinings.com/ ··· products

should last for a long time and I think they have different colors

might cost a few bucks .. but should keep it color and not rot away

JAAulde
Web Developer
MVM
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB6141
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

1 edit

JAAulde to Jumbalaya5

MVM

to Jumbalaya5
said by Jumbalaya5:

For as much as it costs, it better stay nice looking for a while.

Edit: You replied to me, so I assumed you were saying the setup I went with was pricy. End Edit

I paid $26 for the mounting base and $30 for the post. Then you add the cost of whichever mailbox you decide to put on it. The vinyl mailbox setups at Lowes start at $60, so I don't think it's all that expensive.
Jumbalaya5
Lisle, IL

Jumbalaya5

This is the one I'm ordering, which is why I hope it lasts for a while.

»www.walpolewoodworkers.c ··· -fc.aspx

I like the rhino liner idea. I wish I'd done that on the last mailbox post.

JAAulde
Web Developer
MVM
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB6141
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

JAAulde

MVM

said by Jumbalaya5:

This is the one I'm ordering, which is why I hope it lasts for a while.

»www.walpolewoodworkers.c ··· -fc.aspx

I like the rhino liner idea. I wish I'd done that on the last mailbox post.

:O WTF - $300 plus for a mailbox post--made of plastic!!!???
Jumbalaya5
Lisle, IL

Jumbalaya5

Tell me about it. It hurt just typing in the credit card number. $400 with shipping.
AndrewG2
join:2006-01-20
Niagara Falls, ON

AndrewG2 to Jumbalaya5

to Jumbalaya5
Better do 4G speeds for that....

... yah, I know, wrong cellular.
Jumbalaya5
Lisle, IL

Jumbalaya5

Yeah, no kidding. On top of that we're putting a $185.00 mailbox on it.

Not only 4G, but I'm going to need a reach-around.