how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BrianV

join:2008-11-17
Long Sault, ON
kudos:1

[Internet] Upcoming Bell infrastructure changes?

Hi all.

I am approximately 4.9km away from my CO, which appears to only have ADSL1 cards in it. I can barely maintain a 3008/800 connection, which is surprisingly good to me considering the distance from the CO. 3.1k from the remote, and 1.8k away from me is a crossbox that has 50-60 houses in the immediate vicinity, and plenty more within a few km.

It strikes me that if Bell were to deploy a remote DSLAM to this crossbox, it would vastly improve service to probably 60 houses, and provide service to a large number of houses that currently would not have service (judging by the exchanges and their CO locations in the area).

Some questions:

1. At what point does it make sense for Bell to deploy a remote?

2. Is there any way to find out about Bell's future plans for a given area, especially as this area is covered under EORN?

3. Has anyone ever heard of someone making it financially viable for Bell to deploy a remote? Given that I have a business that depends on my DSL connection, and there are no other feasible providers in the area, I would consider kicking in a few thousand dollars if it would make a deployment more feasible (small potatoes compared to the cost of equipment and labor, probably)

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
They'll only deploy a remote if they think people will subscribe to dsl. Judging by the future prospects for dsl i wouldn't get my hopes up.

BrianV

Long Sault, ON
Well, obviously it has be to financially viable for them. Hence my questions!

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to BrianV
Call in, requesting a faster service package - when they say it's not available, ask to be put on the waiting list, to be notified when it is...

Customer demand is one of the factors Bell's planning dept. uses to figure out when and where to expand the network...

BrianV

Long Sault, ON
Already been done, every time I talk with a Bell rep in any capacity...

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
Some areas will likely never be upgraded much like the rural areas they've abandoned.

XanderLo

join:2002-06-19
Boucherville, QC
reply to BrianV
said by BrianV:

Well, obviously it has be to financially viable for them. Hence my questions!

It's -impossible- to know about Bell deployment plans. Just give up like I did. Bell does half-assed modernization too so even if Bell were to modernize your neighbourhood, your house might be SOL like mine (Fibe TV and Fibe 25 available everywhere at a 300m radius around my house). Pray that cable becomes available in your area. I'm going with EBOX 30/3 or 20/2 as soon as my Bell credits expire.

ruggs

join:2012-03-26
Ontario
CTRC says that real high speed (25+ meg) has to be available to everyone, even in the rural areas, and bell does have plans and existing equipment for these situations, its just a matter of when.
I myself am waiting for a slam to be put into my cross box even though most of the neighboring cross boxes have had slams for quite some time now...

XanderLo

join:2002-06-19
Boucherville, QC
said by ruggs:

CTRC says that real high speed (25+ meg) has to be available to everyone, even in the rural areas, and bell does have plans and existing equipment for these situations, its just a matter of when.
I myself am waiting for a slam to be put into my cross box even though most of the neighboring cross boxes have had slams for quite some time now...

Uhh.. CRTC imposing 25mbps to everyone including rural areas? By when, 2050?

ruggs

Ontario
not sure of the exact date, but its there

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
Yeah they've always had speed targets and most often Bell deploys the cheapest wireless solution to claim "up to" said target speed or makes some excuse which the CRTC accepts.

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
reply to ruggs
said by ruggs:

I can second that. There is some pretty cool stuff coming down the pipe to push dsl into the rurals. Who knows when it will happen. But the hardware is there, and though I haven't seen it personally in my area, it was a talking point in the last training session I was involved with a couple of months ago.
--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

ruggs

Ontario

2 edits
the VSEM's are now deployed in many places, they look like the 7330 square edged enclosures, but they are smaller and have more holes for ventilation

edit just found this
»www.alcatel-lucent.com/products/···imation/

looks just like that, but the cross box brown colour, and obviously fully enclosed

SLAMtech

join:2009-12-03
From what I heard they can deploy 16 vsems from each 7330 and only have to run fibre back to the 7330 and not the CO. I believe 48 ports per vsem. Next step is to use more than 12mhz spectrum of the 30mhz spectrum available from the 7330's.

ruggs

Ontario
yep and each fiber run from the 7330 can go up to 19 km

Mont

join:2006-05-02
Saint-Leonard, QC
Would the 7330 on a jwi be like the one of the right ?

»/speak/slidesh···SQ%3D%3D

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
said by Mont:

appears so. the one on the left is a lucent oslam judging by the round(sort of) corners.

SLAMtech

join:2009-12-03
reply to ruggs
I would love to start seeing these in areas where cross boxes already have a 7330 and subscribers out of there are past the threshold of distance. You can mount one of these on the first pole where the distribution begins and add a mini cross box there to eliminate the distance issue for faster speeds and iptv.

ruggs

Ontario
reply to Mont
said by Mont:

»/speak/slidesh···SQ%3D%3D

thats actually a VSEM on the right and a oslam on the left

said by SLAMtech:

I would love to start seeing these in areas where cross boxes already have a 7330 and subscribers out of there are past the threshold of distance. You can mount one of these on the first pole where the distribution begins and add a mini cross box there to eliminate the distance issue for faster speeds and iptv.

Yes that would be good, i think these would be good in areas where endcaps are used, I dislike some endcaps

Mont

Saint-Leonard, QC
Would people from the oslam get transfered to the VSEM and eventually all the oslams get change to VSEM's.

ruggs

Ontario
no, the VSEMs only allow 48 extra ports, so its possible, but not likely to happen

Mont

Saint-Leonard, QC
Thanks , don't they have though a greater ability to offer faster speeds ?

ruggs

Ontario
I believe the 7330s are capable of higher frequencies, as it was explained to me is that oslams were sort of incomplete, where as the 7330's are the real deal

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
reply to ruggs
said by ruggs:

Yes that would be good, i think these would be good in areas where endcaps are used, I dislike some endcaps

Endcaps? What is an Endcap?
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

Mont

Saint-Leonard, QC
So then they might move people to the VSEM's to get faster speed and change the oslam for VSEM's.

ruggs

Ontario
reply to HeadSpinning
end cap is a type of plant use in the field, just like pole fed and ped fed, only thing with end cap is that its not always accessible, sometimes its underground and the runs aren't always direct, not so good for iptv

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to HeadSpinning
said by HeadSpinning:

said by ruggs:

Endcaps? What is an Endcap?

Encap, actually; not endcap... Encapsulated Splices - they're buried, not in a ped or cross-box; so there's no way to swing pairs, etc. without fairly major work.

Pretty common in some subdivisions - they'll roll out the feeder for the street or area, with drops already spliced in - quick and easy to deploy; complete pain in the ass to go back into later...

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
I knew - I just wanted to see if HE knew

Forest Glade in Windsor is all ENCAPSulated plant.. but has no endcaps

Just like people referring to a DE-MARK... which is a DEMARCation point.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

maxboha

join:2012-05-12
reply to BrianV
By the end of 2015, the CRTC expects all Canadians to have access to broadband speeds of at least 5 megabits per second (Mbps) for downloads and 1 Mbps for uploads.

This is a joke.

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to HeadSpinning
said by HeadSpinning:

I knew - I just wanted to see if HE knew

My bad; been away from here for a bit; trolling meter must be on the fritz...