elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to donoreo

Re: Days of Deals for another 12 days

$90 is pretty much the going rate for that 2tb drive.
There is a 2TB USB powered drive for $150 is pretty good for that drive.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to donoreo
Bump,
Another MEH, from me.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
said by elwoodblues:

Bump,
Another MEH, from me.

+1
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to donoreo
+2

... and on an entirely new, day, too!

One thing I've found disappointing lately is the lack of inexpensive laptops, like the $399 deals, which would be more than adequate for my needs. In fact I'm still getting great performance out of an old Inspiron 1501 with a Sempron processor, running Windows 7, especially since I put an SSD in it the other day!

I see that the Canon SX40 is there to tempt me again -- $10 less than it was last time. Although I have since discovered that there's a new model coming with some of the same capabilities that is much lighter and more compact, and $90 cheaper:
»www.henrys.com/73426-CANON-POWER···-3-.aspx
--
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium

1 edit
reply to donoreo
Funny I was complaining about the lack of cheap laptops -- there's a nice one today @ the usual rock-bottom Dell price of $399.99. i3-2350m which is newer and slightly faster than the i3-390m we were discussing here even though the clock speed is less -- also 6 GB DDR3 @ 1600 Mhz and a 500 GB drive. Looks like a nice unit, and might be the last chance to get a laptop before they are all cursed with Windows 8!

Edit: Just noticed that this Inspiron model has an HDMI port, which is a really nice bonus you only used to get on the high-end models.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to donoreo
The 30 inch Ultrasharp is on today for only $970. That is $420 off the regular price!

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
Memory Express today has free shipping and the Intel 330series SSD drive 240gigs for $159. Not sure if this is older than the 500 series and/or the going price.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
The 330 is one of the new Sandforce drives. 240GB for $160, can't go wrong with that.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to Wolfie00
The i3-2350m laptop for $399.99 yesterday was a pretty good deal but I discovered a limitation that was a dealbreaker for me, and may be of interest to some.

The Intel HM75 chipset is an older one that only supports USB 2.0. I already have a decent enough laptop and to justify a new one I'd want to have USB 3 along with the processor and memory improvements.

Interestingly, there's an offer today that's almost identical to yesterday's, which is based on the i3-2370m (virtually the same, very slightly higher clock speed) and the HM77 chipset which does support USB 3, including an always-on power-charging port. It's packaged in a nicer case, has a better SD card reader, and includes some extra software. Sadly, for this you get to pay $100 more, and it's only $30 off list price.

It was much easier to buy a laptop a few years ago.
--
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to donoreo
BUMP

Another Non Deal of the day

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
Sort of. The Inspiron 15R laptop with the i5 processor @ $600 is actually a pretty good deal with the $100 discount. It's just getting to be way more than I want to pay for a laptop. If there is a significant deal on the cheapest 15R that currently lists for $530, I'm in! I only have about 3 weeks before Dell starts putting &^%$%#&* Win-Doze 8 on all these things!!!!!!!! Though IIRC Windows XP was available under various conditions/packages long, long after Vista came out. Perhaps it will be the same with Son of Vista!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Too late wolfie, i saw a review for a Dell Ultrabook today that had Win8 on it.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
Probably an evaluation release, RTM is 3rd week of October I think, and I don't believe Dell is allowed to release earlier.

I'm thinking, worst case, I'll get a system with Windows 8 and put Win 7 on it myself, as I still have some licenses available. As long as I don't wait too long, all the hardware ought to have Win 7 support.
--
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

1 edit
I have a gut feeling that Win 8 is going to turn out like Vista, where you were given the option of buying the computer with XP

Corporate sales (SMB) will not jump on the Win 8 bandwagon, not from Win 7 and certainly not from XP.

Those with Open Licenses will continue to install Win 7 or XP on thier machines.

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON
Agreed. Why should I invest in Win 8 when it actually remove (or make it harder) to do things at the desktop?

Win 8 caters to the mobile market. As such it may be very successful there but is not a desktop friendly OS.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Win8 will be a failure in the desktop market.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

One thing I've found disappointing lately is the lack of inexpensive laptops, like the $399 deals, which would be more than adequate for my needs.

Just got one for $268.00 last week at Walmart.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Win8 will be a failure in the desktop market.

To you and I, but remember, for Microsoft it's win win, their deals with the OEM's isn't going anywhere. They sell the licenses on the basis of number of machines the OEM is going to sell.

So if Dell (for the sake of argument) is going to sell 10m machines this year, and they install Win 8 or not, Microsoft gets it's money.

What I really want to know is how they expect the Server market to adapt to the same BS with Server 2012?
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to donoreo
For those that are interested, Dell has a "72 hour" sale going on at the same time.

»www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/···=4456949

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
That Vostro 2420 is a pretty decent deal, but no Windows license (not that it should be a problem )

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by Gone:

That Vostro 2420 is a pretty decent deal, but no Windows license (not that it should be a problem )

Surely you wouldn't stoop to piracy would you?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Not at all, Angelo.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by Gone:

Not at all, Angelo.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

I would be putting Linux on it myself anyway.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
reply to Gone
Yes, that's an excellent value. Downsides are the screen size (actually a plus if one needs maximum portability, but I don't), HM75 chipset means USB 2.0, and screen isn't as nice as the Inspiron "Truelife".

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
I prefer the anti-glare by far over the glossy screens that seem to be everywhere.

To me, the smaller the screen the better - and machine as a whole - the better. The laptop I have now is 11" and the exact same screen res as my wife's 15. If I was getting a 15" screen I would expect it to be much higher res than just 1366x768 or whatever they are now.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

said by Gone:

I think Dell is selling it with Unbuntu
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by elwoodblues:

said by donoreo:

said by Gone:

I think Dell is selling it with Unbuntu

I would install my own. I do not like Ubuntu.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by donoreo:

I'm sorry Mr Red Hat

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by elwoodblues:

said by donoreo:

I'm sorry Mr Red Hat

I would actually use OpenSUSE.