join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to sona1111

Re: General advice about choosing provider.

Buying two devices will tend to require paying for two different plans. Probably not what you want.

The old xfinity2go service ran on Clearwire's WiMAX network. You can still get that service if you go direct; Best Buy has USB sticks (no one has ExpressCards anymore) and WiFi hotspots for $50 or so, or a home modem for $50 (but it sounds like you want mobile). Service is $50 per month for unlimited.

As fair warning, WiMAX on Clear's band is a bit touchy with signals, and from what I can tell the two non-home-modem devices aren't powerful enough to get full speed on the network (10+ Mbps down, 1.5 Mbps up)...I've used the Clear Spot Voyager and can confirm its limitations as compared to the desktop modem. But hey, if surfing at 3-7 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up works for you, and Clear's coverage includes where you go, it's a decent deal.

sona1111

join:2011-01-12
Franklin Park, NJ

HI, thanks for the reply.

first off, why does no one make expresscards anymore? it seems that bus has not been out long enough to be considered outdated. Would the ones i see for same be compatible with up-to-gate 3g/4g networks or they are really that old?

secondly, those speeds sound fine, but what is the cost and limits, or rather, do you consider their costs and limits better or worse then other providers?

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

Express Cards are absolutely outdated. That is a dead interface.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to sona1111

If you're looking at an ExpressCard, run the model number by here. There are some 4G ExpressCards, but they're as scarce as hen's teeth...

As far as Jim-in_VA's comment goes, I think he's over-dramatizing things a bit. ExpressCard isn't outdated per se...it's a nice, fast interface. However USB 3.0 is faster (if I remember correctly ExpressCards are only a single PCIe lane). More importantly, you'll be hard-pressed to find a computer with an ExpressCard slot these days that isn't business-focused and/or expensive. So manufacturers of wireless modems have turned to the interface that is now ubiquitous on computers: USB. It has more than enough bandwidth, even on 2.0, for mobile broadband (35 MB/s real-world speeds, better with a better chipset), and any computer built in the last twelve years has a port.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..

I always respect ianslx's opinions. On this subject that Express Cards are still a viable option I disagree. There are no main stream laptops or desktops that have that interface and very few telco's have that in their inventory. Move along to USB.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/