how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Insurance

My wife and I looked at dropping the insurance on our lines, but Verizon also bundles an "extended warranty" with the insurance package, which has no deductible and is essentially a free phone, provided that it wasn't damaged due to liquids or very obvious physical abuse.

I've dropped my beloved DX many times over the years, but the last time was apparently the straw that broke the camel's back. The display didn't crack but black lines and sploshes appeared across it. Verizon took one look at it, said "a lot of them do that", checked the liquid damage indicators, saw they were clean, then replaced the device for free. No questions besides "Did you drop this in water?" were ever asked. The replacement arrived 24 hours later, which is a lot faster than I could have received one from eBay.

Mind you, the price you pay for the insurance over the years adds up to a hefty amount, but the thing with insurance is that it's a known and predictable cost. In the case of cell phones, it also saves you the hassle of tracking down a replacement on eBay/similar services. Time is money as they say, and it's hard to beat overnight shipping, or even walking out the door with it if they stock that particular model.

Incidentally, I've rooted every Android device I've ever owned, including the returned DX. In spite of all the fear about voided warranties, Verizon never said anything, nor charged me full retail price for the replacement phone, in spite of their literature that suggesting they would. Even the sales rep said, "As long as it wasn't immersed in water, they don't care." They deal with thousands of returned devices every day, they simply don't have the time or inclination to verify that you haven't mucked around with the software.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
Right on. I always use old beater prepaid phones (

I used to blow off insurance because they were a pure rip, but competition is there and for certain items it makes sense. Top of mind are 3: Cars, phones, laptops. Maybe TV, but it depends. That's it, the rest are a ripoff.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to Crookshanks
Right on. I always use old beater prepaid phones (less than $150) so if they disappear or break no harm no foul. But if you have a $600 iphone or $550 Galaxy XXX (joking) then you BETTER have insurance.

The big guys just use a third party anyways Asurion and keep $5 a month vig, but there are many third parties out there. I've used squaretrade for many items and their service is great.

For instance the iphone is $99 for 2 years - which works out to $4.12 a month, and sometimes you can get discounts (I do many warranties). There is a $50 deductible, but they pay shipping and the like. This is at least 50% less than your plan, so if you want to save money HAVE insurance, just do it with a third party... In fact squaretrade will cover liquid damage too.

As the article points out 20% of the people pay more for facebook--er I mean "smartphones" than groceries, so you tell them to cut out insurance. It breaks...Hmm give me $600 for a new phone, and no food for 6 months. Brilliant... There is a reason the poor are poor, bad decision-making skills or circumstance--but don't jump on and say trim insurance. Look up fixed income in the dictionary.

As to changing your plan, well good luck. They are all you can eat bonanza's now. The only way you are getting away w/ 2 phones

I used to blow off insurance because they were a pure rip, but competition is there and for certain items it makes sense. Top of mind are 3: Cars, phones, laptops. Maybe TV, but it depends. That's it, the rest are a ripoff.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1
reply to Crookshanks
Do you have a case?
I am fairly careful with my phones now and rarely drop them, but if you have a good case you don't even need the insurance. My first smartphone was an iphone 3GS, I got a nice, not too thick case for it and I dropped it all the freaking time and I never did any damage to it. I've been through many smartphones since then (I like to have the latest and greatest) and I've still never broken a cell phone with a case on it.

Crookshanks

Binghamton, NY
To each their own I suppose, but I don't really like cases. I haven't found a good one that isn't overly bulky. I do invest in good screen protectors (plug: the invisible shield, WAY better than the el-cheapo one you get from your carrier), but I've never really liked cases for any of my phones. There's something to be said for holding the phone in your hand without a case between you and it, IMHO anyway.

Generally, I'm careful with my phones, but nobody is perfect, and I do drop mine from time to time. Compared to my friend's phones though, mine might as well be new in box. It's sad to see how much abuse they take from the "average" person!

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
All it takes is one good drop in the right position.

One reason I have my phone in an Otterbox. I'd rather not take that chance.

Crookshanks

Binghamton, NY
Well, the DX is the first phone I've ever had to replace, and it might not have been the drop that killed it. I think it did, but the rep at the Verizon store indicated that a lot of them have failed in the manner mine did.

As I said, to each their own!

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1
reply to Crookshanks
Not trying to force my opinion, but have you looked at the case-mate barely there cases, that's what i use and they are very minimal, cutouts for the buttons (no, plastic covering the buttons or ports. ) they use don't add much bulk at all to phones.