spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

skuv

@rr.com

21% pay more for wireless than groceries?

If 21% are paying more for wireless than groceries, then they are not buying enough groceries and are probably paying more to eat out than they are paying for wireless and groceries combined.

They should check their priorities and maybe save money and get healthier as well.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
said by skuv :

If 21% are paying more for wireless than groceries, then they are not buying enough groceries and are probably paying more to eat out than they are paying for wireless and groceries combined.

They should check their priorities and maybe save money and get healthier as well.

Yes I pay $78 after taxes for Verizon unlimted 4G data and texts and 450 minutes of talk. That is more than I pay for groceries each month.

Jimdaboe

join:2001-01-16
Corpus Christi, TX
So you eat for less than $2.60 a day? I'm sorry! Are you on food stamps?

aaronwt
Premium
Woodbridge, VA
said by Jimdaboe:

So you eat for less than $2.60 a day? I'm sorry! Are you on food stamps?

I wish I only spent $2.60 a day on food. The issue was about groceries, not food in general. I always eat out for lunch at work, I typically don't eat dinner(and if I do I'll typically eat out), and for breakfast if I eat something, half the time it will be at home and the other half I'll get something from a cafe or fast food place. And if I'm at my GFs house we will typically eat out. But when she does cook something, she buys the food she cooks.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
said by aaronwt:

I always eat out for lunch at work, I typically don't eat dinner(and if I do I'll typically eat out), and for breakfast if I eat something, half the time it will be at home and the other half I'll get something from a cafe or fast food place.

Ah, and we wonder why we struggle with debt and obesity in the United States.

Incidentally, skipping breakfast is about the dumbest thing you can do from the vantage point of health and fitness.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to skuv
EBT

bemis

join:2008-07-18
Reading, MA
reply to skuv
Agreed!

No way are a full TWENTY ONE percent paying more for wireless than groceries.

I'm a single person who eats lunch out every day, including weekends, and I still find myself spending $150-200/mo in groceries easily.

aaronwt
Premium
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Crookshanks
said by Crookshanks:

said by aaronwt:

I always eat out for lunch at work, I typically don't eat dinner(and if I do I'll typically eat out), and for breakfast if I eat something, half the time it will be at home and the other half I'll get something from a cafe or fast food place.

Ah, and we wonder why we struggle with debt and obesity in the United States.

Incidentally, skipping breakfast is about the dumbest thing you can do from the vantage point of health and fitness.

Eating out has absolutely nothing to do with Obesity. What you eat has everything to do with obesity. And eating out has absolutely nothing to do with debt either. Spending more than you have has everything to do with debt.

As far as skipping breakfast, I went a couple of decades mostly skipping breakfast when I was younger and in better health. Now I typically only eat breakfast because I can lose weight if I eat more during the day than less. When I skip breakfast and dinner and only eat lunch I gain weight. When I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner I can easily lose weight.

Crookshanks

Binghamton, NY
said by aaronwt:

Eating out has nothing to do with Obesity. What you eat has everything to do with obesity. And eating out has nothing to do with debt either. Spending more than you have has everything to do with debt.

Eating out costs more money and isolates you from the nutritional value (or lack thereof) of your food, both of which are indirect drivers of debt and obesity. Live however you want, but it's my opinion that you lose something important when you rely on others to feed you. The only thing more rewarding than putting a meal together yourself is doing it with food you've grown yourself.

Incidentally, to go back to the original topic, if eating out is your primary source of food, it's really not fair to exclude it from the "grocery" budget. I highly doubt that you spend more on wireless than you do between eating out and visiting the grocery store, assuming you ever do the latter.

aaronwt
Premium
Woodbridge, VA
said by Crookshanks:

said by aaronwt:

Eating out has nothing to do with Obesity. What you eat has everything to do with obesity. And eating out has nothing to do with debt either. Spending more than you have has everything to do with debt.

Eating out costs more money and isolates you from the nutritional value (or lack thereof) of your food, both of which are indirect drivers of debt and obesity. Live however you want, but it's my opinion that you lose something important when you rely on others to feed you. The only thing more rewarding than putting a meal together yourself is doing it with food you've grown yourself.

Incidentally, to go back to the original topic, if eating out is your primary source of food, it's really not fair to exclude it from the "grocery" budget. I highly doubt that you spend more on wireless than you do between eating out and visiting the grocery store, assuming you ever do the latter.

OF course I spend more when you including eating out. The statement was originally about money spent on groceries, not money spent on dining out.

Just for lunch at work, five days a week, it averages out to $60 a week just for lunch. My coworkers and I have eaten out for lunch practically every day during the last sixteen years. It's extremely rare that any of us bring a lunch in.

I have no desire to grow my own food, and if I cook the food I end up eating alot more than I should and the end result is gaining weight. While I don't typically have that issue when eating out.

Crookshanks

Binghamton, NY
Must be nice to have money to waste.

Point being, you can't fairly exclude that expense from the discussion at hand. Short of living off ramen, I'm not certain how anyone could spend more money on their cell phone than they do on food.

aaronwt
Premium
Woodbridge, VA
I might spend a lot eating out but I don't spend a lot in other areas like cars. When I have a car payment it's always under $250 a month. I don't have a car note right now but I know people that spend $750 to $1000 a month just on car payments. That would pay for a lot of meals.
I would much rather spend my money eating out or on Internet/TV/cellular service any day than spend it on an expensive car.