uniqs
share rss forum feed

jj358mhz

join:2004-10-06
Berkeley, CA

NGV510 CRC Stats

CRC Count
Hi,

I have recently 'upgraded' to U-verse. On my NGV510, should the amount of CRC errors give cause for alarm given my line stats?

I am about 7700 feet from the CO

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable

Based on the downstream line attenuation, the line is much longer than 7,700 feet. [Either due to bridge tap, wire gauge or both.] If it was, the downstream attenuation would be somewhere in the 20s or 30s.. the line is [almost effectively about 10,125 feet..]

Also, the downstream sn noise margin is not looking too good at 2.4... it should be about 6 [or higher] .. that coupled with the amount of CRC errors means there may be problems with the line. It is surprising the modem can sync actually.. »Windstream DSL FAQ »Modem DSL Statistics? What do the SNR and ATTN numbers show me about my line? .. anything below 6 usually has problems with service disconnecting.

jj358mhz

Berkeley, CA

A couple questions:

1. I have an older Corning ADSL filter at the NID; Should I think of upgrading it to a module that services up to ADSL2+/VDSL specifications? I have been looking into product made by Tii.

2. Post DSL filter, the CAT5e pair (DSL) runs to a Leviton Media Center phone module that distributes (patched) to the NGV510 phone jack. Do open unused jacks that have NO connections (i.e. telephones) constitute a bridge tap? In other words, should I punch down the DSL data pair on an isolated block that services directly to the modem jack?

Does this sound like a major issue or should I be calling ATT out to confirm the outside line conditions in parallel with my indoor 'fixes'?

PremTechLife

join:2012-09-16

Shouldnt need a new splitter

If there are wires punched down to the terminals in your wiring closet that are bridged (connected) to your dsl signal from the nid... even if they are not terminated to anything on the other end.. is bridge tap... bad news. straight shot, "home run"
--
I do not speak on behalf of At&t. Everything I write should be considered opinion and fiction; and in no way a reflection on At&t, its empoyees, or partners.

jj358mhz

Berkeley, CA

Would it still be worthwhile to have AT&T check the line condition?

PremTechLife

join:2012-09-16

I would, that many errors would impact your speed.

jj358mhz

Berkeley, CA
reply to jj358mhz

Modem Speed
Click for full size
Old NID & Filter
So, ATT U-verse field service rolled today. We determined that there is an external bridge tap on the line (pole). We thought there was also a bridge condition internally. He thought it was internal so we started to trouble shoot by dividing in half, but it proved OK. After scratching our collective heads, I suggested that we replace the NID and external filter electronics. Well, that cured a host of ills. My thought is that my old NID filters, being on the south-side of the house, started to break down electronically, thereby creating a psuedo-bridge condidition.

The tech (who was awesome, by the way), put in for a trouble ticket to remove that external bridge. I will post screen shots in after that work is completed (in a day or so).

Attached are images of today's effort.

jj358mhz

Berkeley, CA
reply to jj358mhz

A line tech finally came late last week. The bridge tap he found actually turned out to be a change in wire gauge (26-24 AWG). The JDSU analyzer they use is sensitive enough to pick up this type of thing.

So, it seems as if my line is as good as it is going to get and my speeds are determined by the distance. Boy, you just cannot get around physics