join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX

XCOM to howardfine

Premium Member

to howardfine

Re: Why oh why so many updates? Why I "like" Ubuntu

Well this the Unix forum

singmeuptoo & Maxo..

Got it.... Ill just stand down before I get burned.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by XCOM:

Well this the Unix forum

singmeuptoo & Maxo..

No worries.

I don't think your comments were malicious and I don't think anyone else here included the OP took much offense. I'm not a veteran of this forum so I can't speak for way back, but I've seen much worse flame wars than what just happened here.

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium Member
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
(Software) pfSense
MikroTik CRS125-24G-1S-RM

XCOM

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

said by XCOM:

Well this the Unix forum

singmeuptoo & Maxo..

No worries.

I don't think your comments were malicious and I don't think anyone else here included the OP took much offense. I'm not a veteran of this forum so I can't speak for way back, but I've seen much worse flame wars than what just happened here.

Truly I was not.. I was just expressing how I felt and my point of view on the matter... I guess some did take it a bit personal and I am standing down

Take care!

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

It's all good, no worries. Opinions appreciated. One day, when I get a spare PC, I'll be willing to try a different Distro, and try learning more about the terminal.

scrummie02
Bentley
Premium Member
join:2004-04-16
Arlington, VA

scrummie02

Premium Member

You don't need a spare PC, run KVM or virtualbox on your machine now and you can deploy an instance of another distro or even a different OS such as FreeBSD or OpenBSD or a Solaris based OS.

Ubuntu/Debian are fine to learn CLI if you want. CentOS might help more since a lot of companies use Redhat and CentOS is pretty darn close.

That being said, if you feel the need to download and compile software from source you can do that with Ubuntu just as much as the other Linux distros if you want.

Also "Linux in a nutshell" and some O'rielly shell scripting books are also good.

Your local community college no doubt has an intro to UNIX type class to help as well.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

I'll be willing to try a different Distro, and try learning more about the terminal.

While I would strongly encourage trying out various distros, you don't need to leave Ubuntu to learn Linux. Despite what some will tell you, unlike Windows everything under Ubuntu's hood is available for poking, prodding, and modding.
The easiest way, IMHO, is to setup a server and get it doing things like file and print sharing, data backups, etc. Practical things help give learning a reason.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

quote:
setup a server and get it doing things like file and print sharing, data backups

That would be interesting. I've never tried setting up/managing a server.
Wouldn't I need a large Hard drive? my current one is small. I do have an old P3 600 in my basement that is doing nothing. It has a bad video card [graphics are blurry] and I'm to cheap to buy a new one. I could use that machine as an experiment. Though I'd need a wifi card, or I could set it up by the router and access it remotely and run it that way.
Hmm.. I'll have to check that computer out.

jimkyle
Btrieve Guy
Premium Member
join:2002-10-20
Oklahoma City, OK

jimkyle to Maxo

Premium Member

to Maxo
Well, almost everything, anyway...

Right now I'm trying to find out how to change the theme for the "gdm" display manager in Xubuntu 12.04.1, where the default display manager was changed to lightdm, and I've installed XFCE's version 4.10 which is not the default for the distro I am using.

So far, everything I have found when searching, both in the Ubuntu forums and using Google to search the entire web, seems to be obsolete -- none of it appears to apply to the system that I've configured here.

I suspect that there have been too many simultaneous version upgrades involved: GTK from 2.x to 3.x, XFCE from 4.8 to 4.10, gdm replaced by lightdm, and on top of this most how-tos are for Unity, not XFCE. Anybody got any ideas of where to start digging?

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
If you where doing file backups then you'll need a hard drive large enough to support the data you are backing up. A terabyte USB drive can be had for ~$100, and smaller hard drives are even cheaper.
Maxo

Maxo to jimkyle

Premium Member

to jimkyle
I played around with GDM customization in the past. IIRC there's an XML file that drives it. Perhaps »www.webupd8.org/2011/05/ ··· ntu.html or »wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GDM may have some clues.

scrummie02
Bentley
Premium Member
join:2004-04-16
Arlington, VA

scrummie02 to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
It might be slow, but you can do it. Download ubuntu server version and install it on the p300. No GUI by default on the server installs so you'll have to do CLI for everything.

You should be able to set up an nginx web server, samba server, ldap or whatever.

HDD would be dependent on how much data you want to store. most ubunut/debian base installs are pretty small.

jimkyle
Btrieve Guy
Premium Member
join:2002-10-20
Oklahoma City, OK

1 recommendation

jimkyle to Maxo

Premium Member

to Maxo
Thanks for responding! I've seen posts elsewhere that gnome-tweaker doesn't work with the 12.04 release but I'll see what I can find in the way of xml files in the /usr tree...

The reason I'm trying to use gdm is that lightdm has a bug that leaves a zombie process at each login. It's been reported, and fixed for the 12.10 release, but not yet corrected for 12.04. I put a comment about that on the bug report earlier today (pointing out that it needs to be backported to the LTS version) and got an almost immediate response, so hopefully there will be an update soon to fix lightdm and I won't need to mess with gdm any more...