All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
sona1111
join:2011-01-12
Franklin Park, NJ

sona1111 to iansltx

to iansltx

Re: General advice about choosing provider.

HI, thanks for the reply.

first off, why does no one make expresscards anymore? it seems that bus has not been out long enough to be considered outdated. Would the ones i see for same be compatible with up-to-gate 3g/4g networks or they are really that old?

secondly, those speeds sound fine, but what is the cost and limits, or rather, do you consider their costs and limits better or worse then other providers?
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

Express Cards are absolutely outdated. That is a dead interface.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to sona1111

to sona1111
If you're looking at an ExpressCard, run the model number by here. There are some 4G ExpressCards, but they're as scarce as hen's teeth...

As far as Jim-in_VA's comment goes, I think he's over-dramatizing things a bit. ExpressCard isn't outdated per se...it's a nice, fast interface. However USB 3.0 is faster (if I remember correctly ExpressCards are only a single PCIe lane). More importantly, you'll be hard-pressed to find a computer with an ExpressCard slot these days that isn't business-focused and/or expensive. So manufacturers of wireless modems have turned to the interface that is now ubiquitous on computers: USB. It has more than enough bandwidth, even on 2.0, for mobile broadband (35 MB/s real-world speeds, better with a better chipset), and any computer built in the last twelve years has a port.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

I always respect ianslx's opinions. On this subject that Express Cards are still a viable option I disagree. There are no main stream laptops or desktops that have that interface and very few telco's have that in their inventory. Move along to USB.