Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to rradina

Re: Key Phrase

It's also a matter of architecture. If VZ went w/ active ethernet, they could have scaled out as necessary versus PON topologies which require higher distribution costs. Also ethernet would allow better diagnosis. GPON requires a truck roll to ferret things out if things go south. I see VZ trucks in my neighborhood almost as often as TWC, and nobody if getting hooked up. That ship is sailed. They are performing costly opex maintenance.

My FIOS outages have been headend bonehead failures and subtle items like poor handling of CC and new DRM restrictions. Every now and then there is some network issue is NY/VA that causes burps but to the house no problems. I live in UNY, and w cable every 3-4 years they needed to run a new cable because the contractors who come out did such a poor job of terminating and trenching the coax. Snow and water doesn't help either...I for one am glad VZ woke up. The problem is that if they want to jack my bill 30% in 1 year--I'm not in love...

Now the glory of FTTH is supposed to be much lower opex (which makes up for higher capex) and the fact the fibre should last 100 years in the ground. Frankly speaking the trenching cost is about the same for fibre and copper, and wire costs aren't that much different. In fact you cable company runs fibre just the same... They overstrand, so they can always bond a new pair if necessary. Already though they have gotten themselves into trouble with BPON and new routers already only after a few years. If they went EPON or straight ethernet that would be a different story.

If you want economics compare Uverse (incremental VDSL) to FIOS (FTTH). Obviously the smarter LONG TERM move was FTTH because AT&T has decrepit lines in much of their plant and they need those damn refrigerators all over the place. But for capex reduction, they have VZ beat, however overall FTTH should prove out better.

If AT&T is smart (they are), they use their infrastructure and use white space wireless from the refrigerator to the local houses when that comes. Problem solved. Cantennas for everyone.

As for pricing in most markets there is only 1 competitor, so it's pretty easy to price signal according to the other guy. Wireless for all it's charm doesn't have the economics to compete yet in the home.