pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

[Signals] Downstream signal took a dive today

Click for full size
Not sure what happened, but I noticed a brief connection drop and when my SMC D3G re-sync'd my downstream signal went to hell. SNR was never great to begin with but now it's less than 33.

I'll try rebooting the modem when I get home, but failing that, will business class do a truck roll for something like this? Speeds seem ok, but the power level is through the roof (even with the splitter in place to knock it down) and the SNR is horrible.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
Click for full size
Tech is coming out 8-12 tomorrow. Definitely something wrong. They're going to replace the modem, but I'll ask them to check the signals externally first (to save time waiting for them to reprovision my IPs).
--

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
Wow, that's a hot signal and crappy SNR. Is it still working?
--
KI6RIT

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by n_w95482:

Wow, that's a hot signal and crappy SNR. Is it still working?

Up until the SNR dipped below 30 it was ok. When it started approaching 29 I took major packet loss. Now it's completely unusable. Thank God for tethering
--

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA
ah ye tethering
and with att's lte i was pinging 20ms to 4.2.2.1
i get 15 on comcast
that magic
too bad data caps, but being throttled to 600 kb/s on LTE, isn't the end of the world.

ps you should go call them if you haven't already.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
Click for full size
said by JigglyWiggly:

ps you should go call them if you haven't already.

Yes, they are coming between 8-12, though it's working fine now. Can't tell if they did maintenance last night while the signal was so poor that I had no sync or if it was just coincidence.

Signal is back where it was previously - in fact, the SNR is slightly higher than it used to be. I have a couple of channels > 35.0, whereas previously they were mostly 34.5-34.75 or so.

I doubt they'll charge me, but luckily I have this evidence and the technician I spoke to last night could tell the modem was taking errors and had a bad signal from her end, so I should be ok.
--

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to pflog
Possibly a failure or damage upstream of you. Most likely there were enough complaints that it was found and fixed.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by andyross:

Possibly a failure or damage upstream of you. Most likely there were enough complaints that it was found and fixed.

That's what I'm hoping, and it's not a problem similar to what I Had years back when my connection would die every night for a few hours and it was some sort of ingress or problem with people turning on TVs and using the internet. So every time a tech came out, it'd be fine, but then it'd die off at night.
--

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
It was a node-wide problem and maintenance fixed it last night
--

henryn83

@ppgecm.com
How do you get a pretty graph like that?

bradyr
Columbia College IT
Premium
join:2008-10-27
Sonora, CA
I'm guessing pflog is parsing his modems signal page (192.168.100.1/cmSignal.htm if it's motorola) and graphing the data with something like cacti.