Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
reply to rizzo777

Re: [TWC] Roadrunner Buffalo NY - Very high packet loss bad ping

So 120 people from lancaster, NY play on the same server?

Relax, we are trying to help.

rizzo777

join:2012-09-17
Lancaster, NY

No, not all from Lancaster, There a is a few from Arcade and Rochester, but others are from other cable ISPs. I don't only get PL at one server, I get it from all of them, I used to have rock solid ping/PL which was great from RR. Now it's terrible

Jabbu
Premium
reply to rizzo777

At this point, follow up with us after the tech visit on saturday.

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to rizzo777

Do some tests on »visualroute.visualware.com/ in locations nearest you as well, it can be helpful info.

rizzo777

Lancaster, NY

Click for full size
this is testing a Rochester server.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11

Looks like a trace to a Buffalo RR residential account.

Hob

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

1 edit
reply to rizzo777

said by rizzo777:

I had a router, I directly hooked it up to my modem to test which didn't help, I recently swapped my old modem for a UBEE modem/router combo, which still didn't help

What model Ubee modem?
What are the signal levels at »192.168.100.1 ? More info on logging in: »www.ubeeinteractive.com/support/···nterface
Do you have any of the "Firewall - Content Filters" turned on in the UBEE router modem? »www.ubeeinteractive.com/support/···settings
Activating some of the filters causes packet loss and slow speeds
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

rizzo777

Lancaster, NY

ddw3611 I think the model is, if I remember correctly the power levels were around 40-48 dbm. I will have to double check when I get home. Also, all the firewall settings on the modem is default

rizzo777

Lancaster, NY

Click for full size
Click for full size
content filtering/firewall settings are not enabled

rizzo777

Lancaster, NY

Click for full size

rizzo777

Lancaster, NY

any comments on the latest screen shots?

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

Signal levels are good. The modem isn't counting any significant errors or logging T1, T2, T3, T4 timeouts.

The traces show intermittent spikes right at the first hop, so something is causing slow downs/congestion between your router interface and the CMTS in the local headend.

Since we can't change what's beyond your modem in the local neighborhood take a look at what's in front of it...

While running the traces, what's connected to the modem? Are there any file serving/sharing programs running? Are you running the game while running the traces? Is there anything connected wirelessly? Can you turn off the wireless and run the traces again?

Basically you have to try and eliminate EVERYTHING you can running across the network other than the ICMP traffic of the tracert utilities.

Cable companies can track all the stats your modem shows on it's diagnostic pages plus quite a bit more, but they really can't see if it's your own network causing congestion or latency spikes.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to rizzo777

If you not seeing a lot of t3 timeout errors or t4 when the problems occur then the problem is beyond cmts and you, could be local tw network or beyond

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

said by kilrathi:

If you not seeing a lot of t3 timeout errors or t4 when the problems occur then the problem is beyond cmts and you, could be local tw network or beyond

That doesn't explain the instability of his first hop latency, which really should be pretty stable in the 10-20ms range, since the first hop in his traces is the CMTS.

It could be upstream channel congestion between his modem and CMTS.... I'm guessing it's not downstream channel congestion because he's on 4 bonded channels. Since we can't do anything about other users on the same channels, I figured it'd be a good idea to try and rule out any user network congestion causes.

There are other, much more rare reasons, but it's best to start out with the most common first.
--

rizzo777

Lancaster, NY

Nothing else is running in the background. I clean installed windows 7 and just installed windows 8 to see if it was local. Still high packet loss. Last night I was over 35% PL consistently compared to 20%. My ping was also really spiky last night.

rizzo777

Lancaster, NY

A technician came today, I wasnt home but she told my wife theres a problem on the pole and they will need to come back, Im not sure what the problem is i will have to call and find out.But, my point is, I knew there was a problem and there is one apparently

rizzo777

Lancaster, NY

Hold time is 20 minutes to call and figure out the issue on the pole, why wouldnt a tech be able to fix it? What kind of problem may this be?

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
reply to rizzo777

said by rizzo777:

Nothing else is running in the background. I clean installed windows 7 and just installed windows 8 to see if it was local. Still high packet loss. Last night I was over 35% PL consistently compared to 20%. My ping was also really spiky last night.

It could be return noise on the cable system from another customer or damaged cable interrupting communications between the modem and CMTS, but your modem wasn't showing any signal problems earlier when you posted the signal stats.

Normally when there is noise impacting the downstream channels there are lots of correctable/uncorrectable packets. When the noise impacts the upstream channels, it starts generating T3 and T4 timeouts.

It could be bandwidth congestion too. That doesn't generate the same RF errors but could cause packet loss as packets stack up and timeout waiting there turn on the wire... Not much a tech on the pole can do about that, but call headend/engineering and have them design and plan a recombine/decongest change.
--

rizzo777

Lancaster, NY

Well they said they will come back out and fix something on the pole, so I'm guessing they visually saw a problem? I called tech support and waited 30 minutes to tell me there was no updated notes, put they will have a supervisor call me

rizzo777

Lancaster, NY

they are back at the house outside, my lines are hooked up to the wrong central station? how is that possible? wow.. lol

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

said by rizzo777:

my lines are hooked up to the wrong central station? how is that possible? wow.. lol

Huh? I don't even know what that means... it doesn't make sense

rizzo777

Lancaster, NY

On my pole there is connections for 2 central stations, My house was connected to the wrong station they told my wife.. i never heard of it myself... i guess ill see if its fixed when i get home

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
kudos:1

said by rizzo777:

On my pole there is connections for 2 central stations, My house was connected to the wrong station they told my wife.. i never heard of it myself... i guess ill see if its fixed when i get home

Are we talking about a node ? Must be what it is rizzo777.
--
Obama = Epic Fail

rizzo777

Lancaster, NY

Well, my wife probably isn't explaining it well since she has no idea.. There are connections to either the lancaster node or amherst node, i was connected to lancaster but im supposed to go to amherst... or vice versa... explains my 50ms on the first hop..

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

1 edit

said by rizzo777:

i was connected to lancaster but im supposed to go to amherst... or vice versa... explains my 50ms on the first hop..

No... that doesn't really explain it.

It might give you a different channel lineup on cable TV, but it doesn't explain the latency problems.

[edit] It could be one side is more bandwidth congested than the other, but that's still a problem they'd have to fix for that side, you'd just be avoiding it.
--

rizzo777

Lancaster, NY

Well, i dont understand then, they know i dont have cable TV, not sure.... guess i will find out..

rizzo777

Lancaster, NY

anyone ever hear of this? hobgoblin?

rizzo777

Lancaster, NY
reply to DrDrew

Can the techs tell if one side is more congested than the other?

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
reply to rizzo777

said by rizzo777:

anyone ever hear of this? hobgoblin?

I've heard of 2 cable distribution systems being run on the same pole. It's relatively common in areas with more than one provider (or where 1 provider bought out another) or in the border areas between 2 providers or a provider running an old A/B style cable system. I've worked in them before.

I've heard of customers being connected to the wrong one. It happens a lot with rookie installers, who've never really seen it. I did it the first time I ran into it, not realizing there where 2 systems available (1 in back on poles, 1 in front underground).

It doesn't explain the latency spikes, unless there is a problem with one of the networks other than just being the wrong one to connect to.
--

Jabbu
Premium

1 edit
reply to rizzo777

edit-wrong thread.