spc
Search similar:

uniqs

wondering
@telus.net

wondering

Anon

Connection Startup Time

I'm located in NE Edmonton. I have a Speedtouch ST516 modem and a D-Link DI-604 router that I've been using for years. I shut down all the equipment at night when I go to bed and turn it on the next day when I first use it. The connection used to start pretty fast i.e. by the time Win7 was booted, it was ready to go. Lately, it's been taking 10-15 minutes before I get a connection. I've noticed the WAN and LAN LEDs on the router doing a lot of flashing during this time. Does this sound like the router dying or did Telus make some changes that affect DHCP? I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

Thanks
couttsj
join:2010-07-29
Vernon, BC

couttsj

Why do you turn it off at night? It is harder on the equipment to turn it off and on than it is just to leave it running, and the power consumption for the modem and router is minimal. I have the Speedtouch and a Zyxel router connected to a UPS that runs 24x7x365. Except for the occasional extended power outage, or a Telus change in DHCP servers, it stays connected all the time.

wondering
@honeywell.com

wondering

Anon

Thanks for the advice. I guess it's just habit to turn things off. I used to work out of town a lot so I would shut things down.