spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hermes

@verizon.net

[TWC] Which modem for new TWC service?

I am preparing to set up new service for internet and VOIP through TWC; no TV. My zip code is 14020.

I have decided to purchase my own cable modem and continue to use my LinkSys WRT54G wireless modem. I am signing up for the basic tier (up to 10Mbps) and am considering two modems: the Ubee U10C018 for $40 which supports IPv6 and DOCSIS 2 or the Motorola SB6141 for $100 which supports IPv6 and DOCSIS 3.

Some questions:
Is there a way to find out the quality of the signal before purchasing a cable modem? I ask because I have read that the Motorola is sensitive to poor quality signals (~noise on the line) which result in T3 timeouts.

I will ask a TWC rep tomorrow concerning DOCSIS 3 rollout in the area, but at the lower speeds (i.e., 10Mbps), is D3 even worth it? Or is its benefit outweighed by possible noise issues?

I am open to other suggestions (e.g., SBG6580), but the SBG6580 is more expensive than the Ubee, is prone to problems (based on reviews), and the LinkSys should more than handle 10Mbps, if I understand things correctly.

The other possible modems with IPv6 support include: Cisco DPC2100, Motorola SB5101/SB5101N/SB5101U, and Thomson DCM425.

I want to purchase the right hardware so I appreciate all feedback.

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
kudos:1

1 recommendation

VERY IMPORTANT! Buy one that is supported by TWC »www.timewarnercable.com/midwest/···ice+list

If you are going to use your own router get the SB6141 which is a dumb modem the SB6580 is a router and if you wish it can be put into bridge mode too.

Hermes

@verizon.net
All of the routers in the list are compatible with TWC. My dilemma is which one to choose.

I guess the top two are the Motorola SB6141 and the Ubee U10C018, although I have seen the Cisco DPC2100 also mentioned. Again, all three are compatible with TWC in my area.

kilrathi
Premium
join:2005-04-22
Rockaway Park, NY
reply to Hermes
Just remember if u ever plan to upgrade to higher speed service Cisco DPC2100 can do max 43Mbit downstream based on specifications.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to Hermes
said by Hermes:

I guess the top two are the Motorola SB6141 and the Ubee U10C018, although I have seen the Cisco DPC2100 also mentioned. Again, all three are compatible with TWC in my area.

i personally love my 6141. It replaced my 5100 earlier this year.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

etaadmin

join:2002-01-17
Dallas, TX
kudos:1
reply to Hermes
said by Hermes:

All of the routers in the list are compatible with TWC. My dilemma is which one to choose.

I'm very happy with the SB6141 (no bells and whistles just a dumb modem) behind the modem I have pfsense device no complaints here.

BTW I have the 50/5 plan.

Hermes

join:2012-09-18
Batavia, NY
reply to kilrathi
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize that about the Cisco.

I guess I now must decide between the Motorola and Ubee based on price and whatever other advantages the SB6141 offers both for now (despite the 10/1 service) and for the future.

jh2010

join:2009-09-03
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Hermes
I am happy with my SB6141 on the 30/5 Plan in NYC.
I upgraded my SB6120 several months ago due to the upstream overload reboot problem(I had to QOS my upstream Bandwidth).
Running it with a Cisco 88X router with no problems.

Hermes

join:2012-09-18
Batavia, NY
reply to Hermes
Thanks, all. I just ordered the SB6141. Will keep you posted once it arrives and service is up at the beginning of October.