Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

1 edit

Don't go cheap on me now

After reading about the increased caps last week, I thought that Comcast would be following through with 500gb at the Blast tier. Apparently, that isn't the case in Tucson where the same tier is 350gb. I don't go over the 250gb level and I am on the Blast tier, so bandwidth isn't the issue for me, but it would still be nice to throw people who have this higher tier of speed a bone or two. 350gb is not enough for the excessive users at that tier. Should be at least 400gb or 500gb.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by Nightfall:

I don't go over the 250gb level and I am on the Blast tier, so bandwidth isn't the issue for me,

350gb is not enough. Should be at least 400gb or 500gb.

ERROR!!!

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Fixed my statement. Forgot to add "for the excessive users at that tier".
--

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
Actually I think he's picking on the gb vs GB thing.

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to Nightfall
You know the caps will be designed to gain a bit of revenue at each level.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

4 recommendations

Private enterprise wanting a return on their investment? Say it isn't so!

You can combine my usage totals for the last six months and they don't add up to 300GB, let alone 600GB, so I'm hard pressed to feel any sympathy at all for the people who will be impacted by these caps.

600GB / 30 days = 20GB/day = 1.8mbit/s, sustained, 24/7

In actuality, someone who wants to use 600GB/mo will burden the network even more, the 95th percentile for such a user would likely be in the double digits of mbit/s.

A connection capable of supporting that would have cost thousands of dollars a decade ago (a dedicated connection STILL commands that kind of money) and here we have people bellyaching about connections that cost a fraction of that.

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

SHHHHHH! that kind of talk on here won't be tolerated and you'll be flagged and your comments will be removed. Karl and his fan boys what tolerate it.

PapaMidnight

join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD
reply to Crookshanks
You've gotta be kidding me.

If that's the case, let's go back to the days of charging multiple dollars per gigabyte on a HDD.

Lets go back to the days of charging .25c per megabyte on mobile data plans.

After all, that was acceptable a decade ago right?

If it's not that much of a problem, then I'll pm you my address, phone number, and send you a round-trip plane ticket so you can come down and have Comcast change my service to the 105 tier at your cost.

After all, it's not that much money right?

If Comcast wants to sell me a 25Mb/s line, then I take that as the ability to use up to 25Mb/s however I see fit as much as I see fit. The onus is not on me to support that bandwidth. I'm paying for it. The onus is on Comcast to support it.

If Comcast can't support ONE user using 25Mb/s a month, then they're overselling their services; and if that's the case, caps are not the answer... a more robust backend and last-mile is.

BTW: I'm having a hard time believing Comcast for anything right now when they state that using the Xbox 360 for Xfinity TV on Demand does not count against you. How that doesn't fly in the face of our non-existent net neutrality rules that aren't enforced by the FCC blows my mind.

Crookshanks

Binghamton, NY

2 recommendations

You seriously expect a connection with a 1 to 1 contention ratio at residential pricing? Good luck with that. As I said, dedicated connections that provide the type of bandwidth you desire still cost thousands of dollars.

Bellyache all you want, you're squarely in the minority, and nobody outside of that minority takes you seriously. A 250GB cap is a non-issue for the overwhelming majority of internet users, 600GB even less so, so I'm not seeing the problem. Next you'll whine about supposed regulatory capture, but good luck convincing the FCC or anybody else about the unfairness of a policy that impacts a miniscule slice of the internet population.

Usage totals/95th percentile from my last three DSL billing periods:

7/15: 22.93GB down/5.84GB up, 0.22mbit/s
8/15: 26.79GB down/9.54GB up, 0.32mbit/s
9/15: 18.92GB down/3.32GB up, 0.28mbit/s

Yeah, it's totally fair to expect me to pay the same as you, when you intend to use hundreds of gigabytes, while regularly imposing a megabit load measured in the double digits. 8-)
Expand your moderator at work

skuv

@rr.com
reply to PapaMidnight

Re: Don't go cheap on me now

ALL ISP's oversell. All of them, every single one of them.

If they don't, then they will not stay in business. It's financially impossible.

No ISP can afford 1:1 connections for EVERY customer. They oversell because statistically that is what works. To do otherwise is stupid and business suicide.

Of course they can support "ONE user using 25Mb/sec a month." But they have millions of customers.

And using Xfinity on Demand shouldn't count against a user's cap, even if Net Neutrality is enforced. Their normal on demand doesn't get counted towards any data cap, even though it is data that is only being streamed to you, using finite resources to encode it and get it to you?

So what's the difference? The delivery method? That's trivial.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

1 edit
reply to Anon
Sounds like there are "morons and shills" on both sides. Especially those who have done no research on where we have come from and where we are now. The best thing we can do is to inform ourselves as best as we can and to debate the facts. So far, there are very few, if any, facts being tossed around here.
--

Crookshanks

Binghamton, NY
said by Nightfall:

Especially those who have done no research on where we have come from and where we are now.

Well, I got my start in the ISP business, so I do have that perspective to take into account. On the other side of things, I've on the customer side of business connections ranging from T-1s to gigabit MAE connections, and of course my own experience with residential connectivity.

Speaking personally, and going from memory, my own connectivity to the internet has gone something like this:

1996: 14.4kbit/s - dialup - $20/mo
1998: 36.6kbit/s - dialup - $20/mo
1999: 256kbit/s - WISP - $40/mo
2002: 3mbit/s DS/256kbit/s US - TW cable - $35/mo
2003: 1.5mbit/s DS/384kbit/s US - Verizon DSL - $30/mo
2005: 3.0mbit/s DS/768kbit/s US - Verizon DSL - $40/mo
2009: 10mbit/s DS/1mbit/s US - TW cable - $45/mo
2011: 10mbit/s DS/1mbit/s US - Verizon DSL - $60/mo
2012: 6mbit/s DS/1mbit/s US - Frontier DSL - $60/mo

I've gone backwards at times, depending on what's available when I've moved, but the bottom line is I'm currently getting 24 times the speed of my first broadband connection, for $20/mo more, and if you take inflation into account that's really not a bad deal. $40 in 1999 is worth about $54 today, so I'm paying $6/mo more for 24 times the speed.

That's just my perspective, YMMV, but we've come a long way, and I wish people would consider that when they are inclined to complain about the state of American broadband.

tanzam75

join:2012-07-19
reply to PapaMidnight
said by PapaMidnight:

If Comcast wants to sell me a 25Mb/s line, then I take that as the ability to use up to 25Mb/s however I see fit as much as I see fit. The onus is not on me to support that bandwidth. I'm paying for it. The onus is on Comcast to support it.

Ah, but Comcast doesn't want to sell you an uncapped 25 Mb/s line. They want to sell you a 25 Mb/s line with a 250 GB monthly cap.

If you want an uncapped 25 Mb/s line, you can feel free to buy Metro Ethernet service from a business-class provider for $1000. If you max it out for every second of every day, they won't care -- because you've actually paid for dedicated bandwidth.

Once you have that dedicated connection, you can feel free to start your own ISP with it. See how long you can stay in business offering uncapped 25 Mb/s service for $50 a month.