Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
reply to alkizmo

Re: How much weight can a standard stud wall hold?

If your going to open the wall to install plywood, why not just have a bracket made and bolt it to the studs instead of lags ...

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to TheMole

I had a 100lb 50" plasma mounted to a Peerless arm - nearly fully extended (about 20") and turned 90 degrees. It basically sat in that position from 2002-2009. There were 6 bolts and it spanned two studs. I did not use any additional plywood.

When I removed it after 7 years, there were no signs of bowing or any other trouble. There were no "stress fractures" in the drywall anywhere. The home was built in 1998.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to kherr

said by kherr:

If your going to open the wall to install plywood, why not just have a bracket made and bolt it to the studs instead of lags ...

why behind the wall, on the exterior of the wall behind the TV. You can stain it and put some molding around it to look nice if it is a swivel arm.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to kherr

said by kherr:

I dont understand, neither do I understand AVD.

Btw I'm not opening the wall to put plywood. The wall is already bare. Studs only.

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to TheMole

Oh Lordy! You guys are going WAY over the top on this.

4 lags securely screwed into any halfway decently framed 2x wood stud wall will support a monster TV up to 200lbs, on an extension, plus you could hang from it as well.

The only concern is the rating of the mount, and that has everything to do with the materials used to build the mount, not the wall it's being attached to.

That installer either didn't know his shit, or didn't want to do the job. (Assuming you haven't left out any pertinent details)
--
"All opinions stated by me are solely my views and do not reflect the views of my employer, this site, or even myself depending on my level of sanity at the moment"

AndrewG2

join:2006-01-20
Niagara Falls, ON
reply to alkizmo

You're in a lot better position just to hang it on the studs then. You can assure that the studs are sound A grade stuff that aren't missing corners and have more than one nail holding them in...

I advise the paranoid approach more for when you don't have a clue what is in your wall, and Murphy's law will have you finding the weak bit.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to TheMole

I know two normal 2x4 studs with 1-2 lags in each stud for a flush TV mount can hold a 65-80 pound TV plus 200-225 from someone hanging on it.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

said by Draiman:

I know two normal 2x4 studs with 1-2 lags in each stud for a flush TV mount can hold a 65-80 pound TV plus 200-225 from someone hanging on it.

needs pics
(preferably video)
--

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to AndrewG2

said by AndrewG2:

You're in a lot better position just to hang it on the studs then. You can assure that the studs are sound A grade stuff that aren't missing corners and have more than one nail holding them in...

Well, they are load bearing studs from the original construction of the house. Though they are only 2x4 (not major load bearing studs). I'm actually not sure if I should risk drilling those studs and weaken their structural integrity. Heck I'm not even sure if I'll even put a mount. Currently my big screen TV is on a very nice set of furniture with useful cabinets underneath.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to AVD

said by AVD:

said by Draiman:

needs pics
(preferably video)

If it was uncommon or rare sure. Being as common as a person with 10 toes it really doesn't warrant the time/energy to document it though. If I get bored this week-end I'll pop a lag into my new garage stud and try to stand on it. I'm willing to bet a single lag will hold 200 pounds easy.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

i was hoping to see some stoner hang on a mount, fall down and have the t.v. clock him on the head.
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by AVD:

i was hoping to see some stoner hang on a mount, fall down and have the t.v. clock him on the head.

I'd love to see that too!

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

I'm willing to bet a single lag will hold 200 pounds easy.

I'm not sure how to calculate this, but the further away that 200lbs is placed from the lag bolt (Onto a supporting arm) the more magnified is that 200lbs.

I'm guessing how to calculate this, but a 2 inch lag bolt will have to sustain 1200lbs from a 200lbs object placed 1 foot away.

I'm basing this on the lever formula.

If the lag bolt's lenght is the distance to fulcrum, and 12 inches is the 200lbs object's distance from fulcrum, then it goes: (200lbs x 12") / 2" = 1200lbs.

That's why wall mounts have something like 6" wide (vertically) plates that spread to two studs for 4 lag bolts. Then you'd have: (200lbs x 12") / 6" = 400lbs, over 4 bolts (100lbs per bolt).

I'm pretty sure I am NOT correct in my use of formulas, but the principle (Lever) is valid.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to TheMole

TheMole posted the math on a lag bolt earlier in the thread.
»Re: How much weight can a standard stud wall hold?